When does black fly season begin in Alaska?

fletcher57

Hi, Could somebody please tell me when the black fly season begins and ends in Alaska?

My friend and I are planning a cruise with land excursions (but not a land tour to Denali). Are there any areas where black flies are particularly bad and other areas where they aren't an issue at all? Is there any bug repellant that is particularly effective? Or is the above completely dependent on the weather?

Thanks.

Joyce

Most cruise travelers, don't run into the "bug" problems, of which the mosquitoes are a big problem. Even if you were to go to Denali Park, at Eielson it is significantly better than Wonder Lake "in season".

Where are you planning on going?? I've cruised in every month, and NEVER have run into any significant bug problems on the inside passage.

Most cruise travelers, don't run into the "bug" problems, of which the mosquitoes are a big problem. Even if you were to go to Denali Park, at Eielson it is significantly better than Wonder Lake "in season".

Where are you planning on going?? I've cruised in every month, and NEVER have run into any significant bug problems on the inside passage.

Thanks for your response. We haven't picked the cruise yet but Princess's Voyage of the Glaciers looks good maybe in May So we'd be in Juneau, Skagway, Ketchikan and Whittier/Anchorage.

Archived