Question About Dog Sledding Cancellations

theshowmestate

So, we want to do dog sledding when we cruise this July in Juneau. I've so much that it's the most cancelled excursion. I'm assuming the cancellations are due to weather conditions where you are going to? Also, is there a month that seems to average more cancellations, less cancellations?

From late May through mid June is the driest part of the summer on average. Then it gets wetter and wetter - the more wet, the more cancellations. The end of the sledding season comes when most of the snow has melted off the glacier ice - sometime between late August and mid September.

It is most canceled because of how high up they need to go. FWIW if it is high clouds, windless and raining they still fly and you sled in the rain, but if it is windy or visibility is poor due to clouds/fog they cancel. It rains a lot but many things can still happen and its not the rain exclusively that cause this from what I understand.

So, we want to do dog sledding when we cruise this July in Juneau. I've so much that it's the most cancelled excursion. I'm assuming the cancellations are due to weather conditions where you are going to? Also, is there a month that seems to average more cancellations, less cancellations?

But, I have personally seen cancelations in May, my trip included. So I will say, there is NO way to predict, and frankly, don't even try. Have back up plans, and hope for the best.

It is the most canceled because it is a FIXED location. Glacier helicopter landing tours, can go to MANY areas depending on the day and conditions. The camps get set up and stay put, until the conditions of the snow make the tours unfavorable. This is a SNOW area, not ice.

While I'm at it, you also do not "drive" your own sled, despite what people "think" and report. :) There is a driver, with 2 sleds hooked together, two ride in the basket, one on the breaks. (who thinks they are "driving") For your own team and driving, there are dog sledding "schools" which are all day. I have taken this, and have since gone out three times. It is completely different being by "yourself" with your own team (you are going as a group, to destinations).

Archived