First aid kit for children?

G&TQ

Hello all!

We are booked to take our first family cruise. Our son is 6.

I have a first aid kit for adults but am floundering for my son's first aid kit as he rarely needs any medication.

So far I have:

Neosporin

band aids

hydrocortisone - for itches and bug bites

Tylenol

Any other suggestions?

I am assuming your son takes no medicine on a regular basis. Check with his pediatrician, but to the other poster's suggestions, I would add Dramamine, some type of children's cold medicine, perhaps a saline nasal spray, and disinfecting wipes.

Bring a thermometer. When my daughter came down with a fever on board, having my own thermometer saved me the cost of a doctor "cabin visit" because the nurse said as long as my the fever was below a certain temp, I could give my daughter motrin and wait until the morning office hours. It turned out to be an ear infection and we received wonderful care all week.

Best,

Mia

a second vote for the gatorade crystal packets... they take up almost no space, and are a godsend if anyone gets vomiting/diarrhea. My kids couldn't stand the pedialyte (have you ever tried it? it's yucky!) but the gatorade works just as well.... if your kids are under 2, you can also dilute it a little (it has more sugar than pedialyte).

I also throw in children's bonine, and a couple of the sea sick bands you wear on the wrists. I used those while pregnant and thought they worked. Our one and only kid-cruise was very calm, and we didn't need those things, but I'm packing them again in March just in case!

Thanks for the words of advise.

He is not on any medication. He does take a vitamin and has a prune daily. In the last year he has needed Tylenol once and it is the only thing we have on hand for him. Everything else expired and was thrown out some of it never opened. We now have a 24 CVS nearby so if we needed it we go get it. neosporin, bandaids, disinfecting wipe and hyrdrocortisone, we use them all weekly and Tylenol we keep on hand for fevers.

So now the list is:

Neosporin

band aids

disinfecting wipes

hydrocortisone - for itches and bug bites

Tylenol

Motrin

Benadryl

children's cold medicine - saline nasal spray is in my kit.

Gatorade power packs I will put some of these in my first aid kit also.

Kids bonnie

Thermometer

Now add emergency snacks and bottled water and I have an emergency travel pack for my son!

Thanks everyone!

cold medicine, tweezers, butterfly bandages, polysporin, gravol, tylenol, advil bandaids, sunburn spray, small scissors, antibiotic ear drops, and I always take antibiotics that are not reconstituted with distilled water

Archived