What is a good neutral Pashmina (shawl) to wear with all outfits?

I have a bright pink wool shawl that for me goes with anything, because almost all my clothes are black and/or white.

We went on a Mediterranean cruise in the summer, and it was hotter than "heck"...I brought a cheap lightweight polyester scarf that I could stuff in my handbag, and I threw it in the trash at the end of the cruise. Much easier and cooler than wearing a wool/pashmina shawl for going into churches.

I used to have a shawl (NOT pashmina as it was not silk and cashmere) that was a poly silk in a beautiful shimmery silver/grey. It made a nice neutral and I wore it with lots of gowns. I no longer have it, I got rid of it a year or so back as it was starting to look raggedy.

I have a pashmina in camel and it travels with me everywhere I go. I also have the $10 shawls found in airports and they just don't have the same wonderful feel that the pashmina has. I am never too warm with the pashmina...it looks good and makes me feel elegant.

Amy in San Diego

For sure! I have bought my daughter the $10 ones on the cruiseship made out of acrylic-she is very cold natured-so acrylic is fine for her-but I like mine that is cashmere and silk that breathes-it will keep me warm-but if the temp heats up a little I do not feel I will suffocate if I don't remove it the way an acrylic one would do!

Much softer also!

On my first cruise I bought a $10 "faux" pashmina in black to match the one pair of black shoes that I pack for dinner every night. It turned out to be a good deal since it has gone on two other cruises since, plus a few weddings, new years eve and also acts as a nice big soft scarf inside my dress coat on the way to any of these occassions in the winter.

I'm just speaking for myself here - but I don't use the term pashmina to refer to all shawls. To me a pashmina is a particular type of shawl - a particular style. A true pashmina is actually made of pashmina. But I'd still call a faux pashmina a pashmina.

This is what I mean when I say pashmina:

http://www.pashminaboutique.com/passhaw100pa.html

That's the style - whether or not it is actually made out of true pashmina, to me, it's still a pashmina. (of course, I'm not an upper crust type of gal, I'm sure if I were, only a true pashmina would be a pashmina! :))

Anyway - I just wanted to say that I would never call something like this:

http://www.overstock.com/cgi-bin/d2.cgi?PAGE=PROFRAME&PROD_ID=1016256

a pashmina.

Just saying this to clarify, that at least for me, not all shawls are pashminas.

Hey thanks for the pashmina site link, I am a big fan of cashmere and they have some great choices and prices!

Well I guess all you gals posting bragging about buying pashminas for $10 weren't buying pashminas were you?
What's that word that means a brand name that's "become" the standard word? That was a poor explaination, but examples will make sense: If you say, "Hand me a Kleenex, please", you really mean you want a tissue -- you won't turn down a Puffs. Or if you say, "I need to Xerox this," you aren't opposed to doing it on a Richo machine. In these cases, the most popular name has turned into the generic name.

So while pashmina IS technically a very expensive, specific type of material, it has ALSO become a generic word for "shawl".

• 1 year later...

I have a silver/greyish colored one...it's actually a great color, goes with everything. Plus if you have black dresses for evenings, a nice silver/grey will add a little color instead of another piece of black. I also have a pink one with silver in it...both come to every trip I take!

The pashminas which I have are made in Nepal. I think that is the real cashmere "shawls"! They are extremely light weight but very warm as cashmere is. I have taken mine all over the world and are light enough for warm climates. Some cruise ships in the southern oceans are much cooler than those in Alaska!:)

I'd go with black too - but it really depends on you. Do you wear black? A good friend of mine has a tan colored pashmina that goes with everything she wears because she lives in neutrals and earth tones and does not wear black or navy. I wear tons of black - so that's what works for me. I guess if I were you I'd line up my clothes and just see what would look good with what you tend to wear. My guess is that black, tan, navy, brown, ivory - one of those will go with most of what you wear.

If I were wearing a lot of black, I would probably avoid a black pashima. A lot of people don't seem to realize that there are shades of black, just as there are of other colors, and a black pashima that is slightly off will detract from your outfit. Instead of back, I would wear a creamy neutral. It takes no little room to pack a pashima that i usually bring 2 -- I have a cream colored one with pretty embroidery and beading and a black one that I bought during my first cruise. With the 2 of them, I'm pretty much ready for anything.

I just bought a white one to wear with my formal dress. I discovered a few days ago my original dress had holes in the chiffon that I had not noticed before. So my girlfriend and I were off to do a whirlwind tour of the department stores seeking a new dress. I found one but it would not go with the crochet sweater I was going to bring along. I rushed ordered a white pashmina..I get cold very easily. Its March and in Florida, that means spring so I will wear my white shoes and white pashmina. :D

If I like it, I might get another color although I have two lovely wraps from Coldwater Creek already.

A pashmina is a cashmere shawl. Pashmina means cashmere. Sometimes they are cashmere and silk, or acrylic. You have to have your shoulders covered in churches (especially in Europe)---no sleeveless or tank tops.

Anne

OT, but it's not in every country that your shoulders have to be covered when you visit churches.

Archived