ATL...how well equipped to deal with snow and ice?

ShedQueen77

Oye...I think I'm getting a bit nervous. :( I checked the Delta website and there are not any other flights out of MLI that do not connect through ATL...unless we drive 2.5 hours to ORD and go through MEM. I guess I'm going to just cross my fingers and pray at this point...first for the safety of those stuck in this and second for me to get through there and southbound to MIA.

Your flight is Thursday right? They still have two days to recover so you still have time not to panic. If by Wednesday morning they are still having issues, then contact Delta and see about being rerouted to fly from ORD (or think about other airports, even if a farther drive) at that point.

If your flight is cancelled, in addition to driving to ORD, see if Delta can send your out on another carrier like AA or United (sometimes they will reroute to other airlines in this situation) from MLI.

Also, I don't know your exact positioning but Delta has flights from Cedar Rapids and Peoria that go through Detroit that might give you more options. If those are reasonable airports for you, you might try calling now and getting completely rerouted from there.

Atlanta is starting to show some movement.

The city is a sheet of ice but crews have been staged in nearby hotels, crew break rooms and even on parked planes.

The weather forecast tomorrow and Thursday calls for clear skies but high temps below freezing.

Since we are west of Atlanta I can also tell you that we are experiencing light winds which will help clear the taxiways and runways. We usually get the weather first although we had ice first, then about 6" of snow and another coat of ice. Atlanta had more ice than snow.

Flight crews are being shuttled in on incoming flights to man the available planes. Crews who cannot get to MARTA (Mass transit) or have 4 wheel drive vehicles are finding it next to impossible to get to work.

There are currently two runways open and I'd guess that by tomorrow they will have at least four.

I'd still try for a reroute.

Please keep us informed and we wish you the best.

If your flight is cancelled, in addition to driving to ORD, see if Delta can send your out on another carrier like AA or United (sometimes they will reroute to other airlines in this situation.

Actually, in a situation like this, (i.e. massive weather-related cancellations) it is highly unlikely that they will reroute you on another carrier, just as it is highly unlikely that they will put you up in a hotel if you get stranded. Mechanical issues, yes. Weather issues, no. There will always be exceptions, but that is the general rule.

Update - I have been trying since yesterday to get through to Delta. I have either been disconnected or been told to leave a call back number with no call back yet. I just tried again. On a positive note, all the flights leaving today from MLI to ATL have left on time and and flights from ATL to MIA have as well. I'm still hoping and waiting....

Thanks everyone for the great tips! :)

Sitting at ATL now, between flights. Both of mine were miraculously unaffected today. Despite the number of continued cancellations today, there is quite a bit of passenger activity inside the terminals, and flights are coming and going, albeit in more limited numbers than usual. I imagine tomorrow it will be even better.

Sitting at ATL now, between flights. Both of mine were miraculously unaffected today. Despite the number of continued cancellations today, there is quite a bit of passenger activity inside the terminals, and flights are coming and going, albeit in more limited numbers than usual. I imagine tomorrow it will be even better.

This is great to hear! Delta did call me back....and since my flight is still scheduled on time the only thing they could do was put me on a 6pm flight tonight (through ATL :rolleyes:) instead. Yeah, they told me this at 3pm and the airport is an hour away from my house. Needless to say it didn't happen. She said to keep checking and call back tonight if needed.

*Fingers crossed* :D

This is great to hear! Delta did call me back....and since my flight is still scheduled on time the only thing they could do was put me on a 6pm flight tonight (through ATL :rolleyes:) instead. Yeah, they told me this at 3pm and the airport is an hour away from my house. Needless to say it didn't happen. She said to keep checking and call back tonight if needed.

Fingers crossed for you too!!

Keep us posted on how this all works out

Have a stress free cruise - you deserve it!!

Well, Delta just called with an automated message that my flight was canceled. :(:(:(:(:(:( I'm on the phone with the rep now and it sounds like we're waking the family up and driving to MDW. At least we'll get there....hopefully!

Well, Delta just called with an automated message that my flight was canceled. :(:( I'm on the phone with the rep now and it sounds like we're waking the family up and driving to MDW. At least we'll get there....hopefully!

Bummer! I thought no changes would be needed. It does sound like things are going to work out. :)

• 3 weeks later...
Bummer! I thought no changes would be needed. It does sound like things are going to work out. :)

All was well that ended well. We drove to MDW and got to Miami in delayed time, but at least we got there.

We ran in to delays again on the way home through MIA and while everyone was waiting in line because they would miss their connecting flights like we would have, I got on the phone and was quickly rescheduled. We didn't get home until 2am between the delays and the drive home in the snow, but we got there and back in one piece.

Whew....that was an experience! :)

I am so glad you made the ship and eventually got home. PHEW!!!!!

So far this winter Florida is the only state that has not been plagued by snow. I'm on my way there now and if everything falls into place it'll snow there too before I head back north!!!!

So far this winter Florida is the only state that has not been plagued by snow. I'm on my way there now and if everything falls into place it'll snow there too before I head back north!!!!

While I doubt it will snow this week (it does sometimes), even Phoenix is supposed to have a below freezing low temp one day this week. :eek:

Thanks! I'm still relieved...and starting to rethink my usual January escape from the Midwest winter blahs. :D

All was well that ended well. We drove to MDW and got to Miami in delayed time, but at least we got there.

We ran in to delays again on the way home through MIA and while everyone was waiting in line because they would miss their connecting flights like we would have, I got on the phone and was quickly rescheduled. We didn't get home until 2am between the delays and the drive home in the snow, but we got there and back in one piece.

Whew....that was an experience! :)

As long as you made this ship....who cares if it takes longer to get home.

Thanks for the update

Archived