HAL vs Celebrity?

artistcleveland

I have not sailed on Celebrity but after a tour and luncheon aboard the Summit last summer, I decided that I didn't see anything to lure me away from HAL. I found the decor to be very utilitarian and was put off immediately upon boarding by the concrete like substance lining the promenade deck. There was nothng warm and comfortable about this ship.

The meal in the dining room was good, to give credit where it is due.

(Thought I asked this yesterday but can't find it)

We've done 3 celebrity cruises but can't find the itinerary we would like. Haven't been on HAL.

We like outside cabins, pref with a balcony. Looking into Europe or perhaps Canada/New England.

Anyone able to compare the 2 lines? eg, food, cabins, shows, decor?

We have been on both lines as recent as last year when we took two Celebrity cruises and one HAL cruise. HAL has the better itineraries. Celebrity has better shows as far as our experience in 2010. We were on both their oldest ship, Century, and newest ship, Eclipse. The food keeps changing depending on who is in the kitchen. In 2008 we were on Century and thought it was the worst food we had had on a mass market cruise line. Last year we went back on Century and thought it was the best food we had on a mass market cruise as far as we could remember.

One thing about HAL is that they always deliver. We have never had a bad cruise (with the exception of the one that ended early because of a hurricane warning, but it was just disappointing and nothing to do with the crew). They have been in business for over 100 years.

Be aware if you are coming from Celebrity you are used to a modern cruise ship. Think of MOMA. Lots of modern art. With HAL you will have a traditional wrap around teak promenade and an eclectic art collection that ranges from antique furniture to Any Warhol, think of MET.

The cabins are larger on HAL. Outsides and Verandas have a bath tub (with the exception of some HC cabins). But, in order to get extra perks you need to be in a Suite whereas Celebrity has the Concierge class where you get the identical size veranda but additional amenities such as Champagne, flowers, leather key card holder and upgraded tote, priority boarding and disembarkation lounge. In Aqua class on the Solstice class you even have a private dining room for dinner and venue for breakfast. HAL does not have anything like that.

HAL has a better afternoon tea and everyone is invited. They also have a Royal Dutch Tea and Indonesian Tea. They have better cooking demos and Guest Chefs on many cruises, having teamed up with Food & Wine Magazine.

We have found the crew very comparable getting Indonesian cabin stewards on both lines.

For Canada/New England I would recommend Maasadam. For Europe I would recommend Noordam from Civitavecchia (Rome). We did West one year and East the next.

Let us know what you decide, and if HAL, please come back and tell us what you think.

Originally Posted by mightycruisequeen viewpost.gif

The thing is, this thread isn't about HAL, & HAL only. It's about comparing HAL to Celebrity.

I think it is about a lot more than that.

Sapper, the OP asked for a comparison between HAL and Celebrity, and was looking for responses from those who have cruised on both lines.

There isn't "a lot more" than making a comparison, which one can only do if they have been on both.

While the silly bickering between the posters above continues, let me say that each has their advantages....

What you have to decide is which is more important to you.

I love the cabanas on the signature class ships of HAL, and the cabins are slightly larger on HAL in general.

The culinary institute is a terrific afternoon's diversion.

The staff is friendlier on HAL than just about any other cruise line, period.

However, food and entertainment is another issue entirely. Celebrity takes honors on those two aspects.

The specialty restaurants and the MDR food, IMO, is superior on X.

The entertainment is just not so "senior oriented" (and I say this as a senior myself... doesn't mean I have to enjoy it)

DH and I discussed our next cruise, and we've decided that, all things considered, even though we had a wonderful time on the Eurodam, we are going back to Celebrity next time. The S class ships are just too gorgeous to ignore

But, we are not married to any line.... we'll be back... :D

I have not sailed on Celebrity but after a tour and luncheon aboard the Summit last summer, I decided that I didn't see anything to lure me away from HAL. I found the decor to be very utilitarian and was put off immediately upon boarding by the concrete like substance lining the promenade deck. There was nothng warm and comfortable about this ship.

The meal in the dining room was good, to give credit where it is due.

Hi sapper1,

You must of stepped out on one of the life boat areas forward on the Summit; as the ship has a very impressive, wide teakwood promenade deck. It's only runs the length of the ship on the port and starboard sides.

I think Celebrity really makes a mistake by not designing in wrap around promenade decks!! One of the things I love about HAL ships!

I think Holland America, Celebrity and Cunard are all in the same category of experiences. HAL and Cunard are traditional -- Celebrity is bright and modern.

I think most Holland America fans would be very, very impressed with Celebrity's Solstice class of ships! The ship, the decor, the service and the cuisine are unequaled in the large ship catagory.

enjoy!

Kel:)

After 5 cruises on HAL, we tried Celebrity for the first time last Fall on the Mercury in a Concierge category cabin. Although some Celebrity features were better than HAL ie smoking policy, entertainment and officers' involvement with passengers, we were not sold on Celebrity and will return to HAL For us, the cabin is an important part of our enjoyment and the Concierge cabin at 179 square feet was very tight and uncomfortable. We also preferred the food on HAL. With HAL we get exactly what we want and like. But you can never say never and if we found an itinerary that we liked on one of Celebrity`s newer ships, we could be persuaded to try again.

Hi sapper1,

You must of stepped out on one of the life boat areas forward on the Summit; as the ship has a very impressive, wide teakwood promenade deck. It's only runs the length of the ship on the port and starboard sides.

I think Celebrity really makes a mistake by not designing in wrap around promenade decks!! One of the things I love about HAL ships!

I think Holland America, Celebrity and Cunard are all in the same category of experiences. HAL and Cunard are traditional -- Celebrity is bright and modern.

I think most Holland America fans would be very, very impressed with Celebrity's Solstice class of ships! The ship, the decor, the service and the cuisine are unequaled in the large ship catagory.

enjoy!

I'm glad you pointed that out re the decks. The deck that we boarded on from the gangway system and walked along for a bit before entering the ship was the concrete deck. I was unaware that there was another side deck that was done in teak.

The idea of a concrete walking surface was a major turn-off, so I am happy to be corrected.

I think I just prefer the traditional feel of a HAL ship over the brighter and more modernly decorated Summit. That is not to say one is better than the other--just a matter of personal taste.

We sailed Celeberity Solicitice in 2009 and Westerdam a couple of months ago, Solictice is a beautiful ship but MDR was so much better in Hal, although buffet was much much better on Celeberity. Thought enternainment was also much better on HAL.

I'm glad you pointed that out re the decks. The deck that we boarded on from the gangway system and walked along for a bit before entering the ship was the concrete deck. I was unaware that there was another side deck that was done in teak.

The idea of a concrete walking surface was a major turn-off, so I am happy to be corrected.

I think I just prefer the traditional feel of a HAL ship over the brighter and more modernly decorated Summit. That is not to say one is better than the other--just a matter of personal taste.

Yes, that area forward has stairs that lead down to the real promenade deck -- it's a spray on hard surface that is painted dark blue and most people don't go up there. Not sure why they had to use that deck for entry?

Enjoy!

Here is the text following a cruise on the Celeb Summit October 2010

needless to say we will never ever to Celeb again although they have offerd us £500.00 reduction from next celeb cruise

I would take HAL anyday

Let us give you our own review of the cruise with the good and bad points

the good

The top entertainment by the celebrity singers and dancers and also by the crew on the last day wow those last 2 singers were fabulous.

The Non smoking policy

Seeing the officers and staff throughout the ship and talking to them very seldom done in such big numbers on other ships

The cost of the ships photography was below other lines

as usual waiters and cabin staff the usual happy helpful cheery staff

the bad

the ships decor art and scultures were wierd

cabin and balcony had numerous rust areas and the shower tiles were black and moldy , toilet seat hanging off , toilet roll holder and shower curtain also hanging off

We had to request topilet paper and shampoo etc at least 4 times when there was non left for us and the size of the bath towels were a joke we have bigger hand towels at home (We were in concierge class and supposedly had oversize towels)

we were only offered the pillow menu afrter leaving Qubec

the binoculers in the room were broken ok once we informed the steward they were replaced immidiately but again they were withdrew upon leaving PEI , we spent ages trying to find them and the steward says they remove them to syop people packing them in error ???

The scramble for food in the waterfall buffett was a joke and most meals were cold and the opening / closing times of the buffetts and other eating areas were absolutely stupid, i lost trackof the number of times we came back from shore and the only offering was pizza are the hot dogs. and the only hot pudding you had all week was bread and butter pudding so if you didnt like that you did without , also the choice was the same for every day for the buffett at breakfast and lunch and again nothing more than pizza after 9.30

The food in the MDR was also a poor selection and on our table nobody had a steak that was not tough , the eveining of the lobster with prawns (Shrimps) and scallops was adisgrace never had lobster tail before not taken out of its shell , the scallops were cold and no tatse and the prawns were still frozen in places , this adds to the first evening when numerous meals were given with contents still frozen

never have we been on a ship before that did not have high tea free every day this was served once on 3rd october at a cost of $12- $15 per head ??

We prepaid drinks card yet every day we had to get guest relations to take off the bar bill that was added to our account so that was a waste of time

The asian girl bar tender in the Cava bar was arrogant and rude on three different occassions we asked for drinks only to be told she did not have them there and we were told to go to other bars ourselves to get the drink , only after complaining to the bar manager did we get any service from her , and lo and behold she was awarded at the captains dinner table for good service ???

The shops when run out of products did not restock at any port a number of times my wife asked for things that they had run out of and said they would not be restocking.

The shore excursions was a comedy again prebooked excursions, the first was in Newport RI when I was supposed to do a trip at 9.00 , there were no tickets in the cabin I chased the steward , shore excursions and guest relations nobody new anythign about it so i got up at 6.30 (Im on holiday) to again chase and eventually at 845 was told that the excursion had been cancelled by the tour operator due to bad weather and that i had been sent a letter the night before - some joke here we had no original tickets yet alone a cancellation notice. I was eventually put on an 11.00 trip with 5 other huests with the same problem when we spoke to the tour operator that day they said that the ship had cancelled the trip at 9.00 due to lack of interest !!

the ships tenders were also organised chaos now we understand that health and safety on the bad weather days and have no complaints about the efficient and proffisionalism of the tender staff but the on board organistaion when only 1 chap was left to organise everything in the theater we felst sorry for him he should of had at least 2 other staff to assist

We missed many a show because of the early shows we were on late dinner and only 3 shows were after dinner why ?

The port at bayonne was an absolute nightmare if they are loooking to promote that as a new port well think again we have never been bussed from the terminal to the ship upon embarkation / disembarkation before this seriously needs looking at ?

We could go on and on about problems and dissatisfaction but will nearly end here you can understand why we are so dissalusionedby celeb in copariso to other lines to give you an idea how we feel below is a list of how lines are sold and the order we put them in

sold in order of high STARS

1. Cunard

2. Celebrity

3. HAL

4. P&O

5. Princess

How we rate them

1. Princess

2. HAL

3. P&O

4. Cunard

5. Celebrity

we've cruised with X twice and HAL once, after our HAL cruise we would choose X if we had to choose between the two. overall service was great on both lines, although the service at both the excursion desk and guest services on HAL were poor. the slightly larger cabin size on HAL wasn't enough to make us love it any more than X because we're rarely in the cabin. we really missed the X martini bar when we cruised HAL (it's so much fun there). we also missed the sunset bar on X... so nice and peaceful to have a glass of wine and listen to music at the very back of the ship as the sun set. it was one of the high points of both our X cruises.

but hands-down, the biggest deal-breaker was the food. every aspect of X food was better from our experience... even the pizza was noticeably different. it's tough to spend a week on a ship and feel disappointed at almost every meal. (except for the specialty restaurants, which were great... booked them after we couldn't take the MDR quality anymore.)

Archived