Attire for the week.... carry on only?

1stTimer02/2011

Over the years we have developed our traveling clothes. My husband and I both have nylon cargo pants and we wear one and pack one. Both can be washed in the sink and usually dry overnight. We have two pairs each of quick dry travel shorts.

We also have quick dry shirts. I recently found some great ones, cheap, at Kohl's. My solid shirts, under a polyester floral blouse (that takes NO room) work perfectly for dinner with a pair of black flowing polyester pants. Then the tops do double duty during the day with my shorts.

My husband brings one pair of dress pants and a very nice golf tee to wear for dinners, incl formal under his sport jacket. We each wear a pair of sneakers, pack one pair of shoes for evening and one pair of sandals.

We also put aside between trips things like old underwear and old shirts that we plan on leaving behind, making room for things I want to bring home. And we have no hesitation rinsing clothing out in the sink. We take enough for 3-4 days, then wear clothes that have been washed.

Bummer. One of the reasons we were excited about NCL is that we could dress down. I don't know why this bothers some so much, I could seriously care less what others are wearing to dinner - unless they come in their swimsuits. Hopefully he is willing to comply or guess we are stuck with the buffet :mad:

What Should I Pack?

To give you an idea of what to toss into your suitcase, we've got answers to some of your questions like:

Can I wear something casual to dinner? Do people dress up at night? Can I wear my swimsuit day and night?

The answer to all the above is "yes" - with Freestyle Cruising, you're pretty much welcome to wear whatever, whenever. Our philosophy is "resort casual" and with the widest range of dining venues, tons of entertainment options and bars & lounges, you'll find there are places for your style all over our ships, day and night.

Daytime, it's basically all fine since we know you're probably headed to the pool or out for a fun Shore Excursion. Casual shorts, jeans, tops and sundresses are welcome everywhere. You can even wear your swimsuit to the poolside grill or the buffet.

Resort casual dress gets you into every venue at night too. Some people like to add a jacket, or when celebrating a special occasion, get all decked out. This too is welcome everywhere. And if you're tired from a long fun day and just want to wear shorts; our buffet is the place for a casual dinner. Some people prefer nice jeans. They're welcome in many of our restaurants as well, but not in all. It's your vacation on NCL so dress comfortably, and you'll find a venue that suits your style.

Since all suitcases are collected the night before we return home, don't forget to bring an overnight bag packed with a change of clothes, prescriptions and need-to-have items. Thanks to Freestyle Disembarkation, you'll have time on your final morning on board for breakfast and some last minute sunbathing or even a workout.

So....without being attacked or having judgement thrown upon me: Can my husband get away with tan cargo shorts and a polo at the dining venues aboard NCL? I don't want anyone scowling at us, but after several cruises not interested in dressing up too much. We also will have a 10 1/2 month old with us and simply want to be COMFORTABLE.

As for the Original topic I did finally manage to travel with a carryon only on our last trip to Vegas. Unfortunately I have never found a way to do it on a 7 day cruise :( I am going to do my best to pack as light as possible for me this time as the babies goodies will take up most of the luggage.

Good luck to you though, hope you can find a way to do it!

That is Exactly what I wore to dinner, well I dont wear the polo brand but you get the idea. If anybody dared to give you a scowl just eat the foodl off their plate, let them go to the specialty restaurants, you already paid for all inclusive, dont pay for more.

That is Exactly what I wore to dinner, well I dont wear the polo brand but you get the idea. If anybody dared to give you a scowl just eat the foodl off their plate, let them go to the specialty restaurants, you already paid for all inclusive, dont pay for more.

It used to be that boys couldn't wait until they were old enough to wear long pants. I don't think wearing a pair of big boy pants to dinner is too much to ask. Shorts are for daytime; pants are for dinner.

So....without being attacked or having judgement thrown upon me: Can my husband get away with tan cargo shorts and a polo at the dining venues aboard NCL? I don't want anyone scowling at us, but after several cruises not interested in dressing up too much. We also will have a 10 1/2 month old with us and simply want to be COMFORTABLE.

As for the Original topic I did finally manage to travel with a carryon only on our last trip to Vegas. Unfortunately I have never found a way to do it on a 7 day cruise :( I am going to do my best to pack as light as possible for me this time as the babies goodies will take up most of the luggage.

Good luck to you though, hope you can find a way to do it!

I cant reiterate enough I just got off the DAWN in October, I wore the same outfit to dinner with sandals, maitre de, waiter, no one will say anything to you,, it is your freestyle way. The clothes dont make the person, anybody who would say anything to you is not worth talking to.

Can my husband get away with tan cargo shorts and a polo at the dining venues aboard NCL?

That would be fine for breakfast or lunch, or anytime at the buffet. For dinner in the main dining rooms and specialty restaurants, shorts may or may not be allowed and/or may be allowed in some but not in others. Things seem to vary from ship to ship, and from itinerary to itinerary.

If you don't bring long pants, you should be prepared for the possibility that some restaurants won't admit you at dinnertime.

And, yes, it would be nice if NCL enforced a CONSISTENT standard fleet wide, thereby taking the uncertainty out of this.

Just hope I can stick to my own plan... will have to dig out the summer clothes soon and see how we can squeeze it all into 1 carry-on. 1 pair of birkenstocks, one pair of flip flops for shoes...

As long as there isn't a foot or 2 of snow when we leave Toronto (wouldn't want to ruin the Birks).. then we're all good!

I am a bank officer and wear dresses/suits and heels every day to work, my husband is in sales and dresses up daily as well....Vacation is for relaxing and being comfortable, but I will have him pack pants just in case.

It used to be that boys couldn't wait until they were old enough to wear long pants. I don't think wearing a pair of big boy pants to dinner is too much to ask. Shorts are for daytime; pants are for dinner.

Good luck to you :)

Just hope I can stick to my own plan... will have to dig out the summer clothes soon and see how we can squeeze it all into 1 carry-on. 1 pair of birkenstocks, one pair of flip flops for shoes...

As long as there isn't a foot or 2 of snow when we leave Toronto (wouldn't want to ruin the Birks).. then we're all good!

Ha :) More power to you, glad you did it your way!

small_luggage_449x800_.jpg

Traveling is hard work. Do you want to do more of your work before you leave home or while you are on the road?

Packing light and having everything you need on a trip of any length requires thought and is more trouble up front than a lot of people want to put up with. We think it is worth every minute of planning to save our energy during our trips.

This photo was taken in the Sienna train station (before we started lugging it up the stairs to ground level) at the beginning of week 5 of our 12 week (5 wks/ 4 cruises & 7 wks land/trains) 14 country trip that ended early last month.

MY big bag is a 19" wheeled backpack made by Olympia that weighs 5 lbs empty. My pink "personal item" weighs <2lbs. HIS big bag is a 21" carryon by Atlantic that also weighs 5lbs, and his "personal item" weighs a solid 2lbs - more padding.

There is also a green nylon Kiva on top of HIS that is holding a jacket that doubled as a pillow during the train ride. (Note the exra room in the top of MY black bag.)

When we left home our weights were "MY Blk bag - 18lbs, Pink - 14lbs, HIS Blk bag 21lbs, bkpk 11 lbs.

I'll come back later with details. I can assure you, we had dress clothes, clothes for the Caribbean, clothes for the Dolomites, and everywhere in between.

Dee

Traveling is hard work. Do you want to do more of your work before you leave home or while you are on the road?

Packing light and having everything you need on a trip of any length requires thought and is more trouble up front than a lot of people want to put up with. We think it is worth every minute of planning to save our energy during our trips.

This photo was taken in the Sienna train station (before we started lugging it up the stairs to ground level) at the beginning of week 5 of our 12 week (5 wks/ 4 cruises & 7 wks land/trains) 14 country trip that ended early last month.

MY big bag is a 19" wheeled backpack made by Olympia that weighs 5 lbs empty. My pink "personal item" weighs <2lbs. HIS big bag is a 21" carryon by Atlantic that also weighs 5lbs, and his "personal item" weighs a solid 2lbs - more padding.

There is also a green nylon Kiva on top of HIS that is holding a jacket that doubled as a pillow during the train ride. (Note the exra room in the top of MY black bag.)

When we left home our weights were "MY Blk bag - 18lbs, Pink - 14lbs, HIS Blk bag 21lbs, bkpk 11 lbs.

I'll come back later with details. I can assure you, we had dress clothes, clothes for the Caribbean, clothes for the Dolomites, and everywhere in between.

Dee

Your awesome an inspiration to everyone, more people need to travel like you, your the best

DH is wondering what acceptable attire for the week would be...

Is it possible to live out of carry-on luggage for 1 week??

Is there anything specific "clothing wise" we HAVE to bring with us, even though its "Freestyle" cruising??

Thanks for posing these questions, 1stTimer!! I will be new to NCL later this year, and have also been questioning myself on attire for this cruise line. I've decided I'm going to stick with what I've been wearing on my past two CCL cruises which has not included any 'formal' wear. I don’t miss ‘dressing up’ nor do I mind dining outside of their main dining room so hopefully that will fit the bill on NCL as well.

Hope you love your first cruise!!!!

What Should I Pack?

Is this edjack999 speak or NCL speak?

Bummer. One of the reasons we were excited about NCL is that we could dress down.

I’m with you Kerry. I didn’t know shorts were going to be an issue!! 80% of my wardrobe consists of shorts (knee-length dress shorts that is, for evening) and capri pants. I’m not going to change my comfort level. If I’m dressed for the evening and a particular NCL restaurant turns me away, I’ve decided I'll just move on to the next restaurant! ;) Some place is bound to serve me even if it's room service. :D

Carry-on luggage only. Once again I am inspired to try this on my next cruise. So far I haven’t even come close and shoes are not my problem except for the big ole workout sneakers. I know some will say just wear them for traveling to free up luggage space. Nope, never going to happen. Thanks to all for sharing your packing methods. I learned quite a few things tonight!

small_luggage_449x800_.jpg

Dee

Dee, YOU ROCK!!!

How nice to come back and find such nice comments. Thanks Commission1 and Sauer-kraut!

Just went thru my notes and noticed I made one error - that was 18 countries, not 14:o.

Now, for a few details. BTW, this is about what we did, how it worked for us, and the space we did it in. We had lots of things many folks wouldn't need to take for a shorter trip- spare glasses, spare cane tips, 4 pkgs - 3.5 lbs of candied ginger for motion sickness/ indigestion, 8 thera-wraps for my back, gluten-free snack pack, 3 R95 masks for pollution/smoking, umbrella, mosquito nets, fuzzy earbands, fuzzy gloves, epi-pens, inhalers, neck pillows, workout gloves, evening purse, 9x12 dbl-side folder with all tickets and reservations, 2nd folder for optional plans, cheap composition book with a page for each day of the trip and scotch tape for taping in receipts and souvenirs . I put in bold the items that we were really, really glad we brought.

WHAT WE WORE on the plane- (This is what makes everything work - if it is heavy, bulky, wear it!) Our main concern here is safety so everything is cotton, silk or wool. Shoes will not come off in an accident,

DEE (she) wore Columbia 100% cotton pants, cotton underwear, 1 brown 100% S/S shirt, topped with a 100% L/S (long sleeved) shirt. Smartwool socks, a 5 mile pair of walking shoes that could double in the gym, and three coats. These coats worked really well, but it was a combo of luck and planning - they were all in my closet - a 3/4 length stadium coat, a fleece jacket as a center lining and a windbreaker inside out as the visible lining.

HE wore the same type pants and 100% cotton underwear, a 100% cotton sport tee, 100% l/s smart casual shirt that blended the colors of his pants and coats, wool socks and a 2 mile pair of black dress shoes. His coats were a dark blue sports coat and a silk windbreaker that completely covered his sports jacket.

I'll get back with you on the clothes we packed. (Sure wish I could type!)

Dee

DH is wondering what acceptable attire for the week would be...

We like the idea, and the challenge, of using carry-on luggage only to pack, as to cut down on time at the airport...

Is it possible to live out of carry-on luggage for 1 week??

Is there anything specific "clothing wise" we HAVE to bring with us, even though its "Freestyle" cruising??

Ideas and suggestions are welcome please!

Sailing on the Spirit 02/27 - 03/06

I'd have difficulty with this as I have a CPAP which takes up a lot of room in a carry on LOL

This is a continuation of the first two posts about how we traveled for 85 days to 18 countries, including 5 weeks of cruising QM2, X Connnie, NCL Gem and NCL Pearl, using only carry-on.

WHAT WE PACKED- I'm bolding the things I would leave behind if we were to repeat this same trip.

Evening Clothes -

SHE - Black long dress (Chico's travelers style material), Metallic evening jacket, black dress pants, black silk skirt, silver silk pants, silk long-john top, silk camisole, silver scarf, green scarf, blue silk pareo, hose, black heels (I would sub my black Aerosole ForGive flats), gold belt, gold sandals (can double for pool/spa), black cardigan, green silk l/s shirt, teal silk overblouse, print fancy top set, blue sparkle top and a small gold purse.

HE - Black Suit, tux shirt, studs & bow tie, long black tie, 2 more ties, med blue dress pants, (to go with the sports coat), lt. blue dress shirt, backup dress shirt, 3 pr dress socks.

Daytime Clothes -

SHE - 4 sets underwear, 1 pr silk lj bottoms, 2 swimsuits, 2 pair zipoff cargo pants that dry overnight, black s/s shirt, 4 l/s tops (blue, teal, red, orange - all dry overnight), 2 mile walking sandals, silk sleepshirt, day purse, sun hat.

HE - 2 pr zip cargo pants, 1 set silk longjohns, 3 pr underwear, 3 pr sportsocks, 1shorts length swimsuit, 1 s/s shirt, 2 l/s (fisherman style) shirts, 1 l/s warm shirt, 3 Tshirts, 5 mile tennis shoes, flipflops, sun hat, sleepwear.

We also packed 1 plastic hanger for laundry and 3 Kivas (one of the green ones shows in the picture) that could be unfurled to make everyday travel easier, then disappear when it was time to fly.

The main thing to remember is to enjoy your travels. Time flies by and each year brings its limitations. We know we are traveling to SEE, not to be seen. Bon Voyage!!:)

How did you do laundry? Thanks in advance for your response

Bar shampoo or what we picked up on our travels. Soaked things in the sink, then took them to the shower for rinsing and hanging to dry overnight. We each did our own, so it was never a big deal and was always dry in the morning. When we hit a place where we were staying 3 days, or that had warm radiators we went hog wild and wore and washed the cottons for a change:D.

Wow, just came back to the board after a couple of days away, and was blown away by how many people responded to my post!

I think I'm going to pull out the luggage and do a few dry runs... then ask myself if I'm really going to wear all of this stuff?!?!? Would anyone really care if I wear the same thing over and over again??

Archived