Xpedition Galapagos

TraceyP

I seriously doubt if this cruise is ever discounted because it's almost always 3/4 sold out more than a year out. If you are an elite member you do get a 10% discount off the price of the cruise. And I've learned since my trip, that many TAs will give you OBC if you book with them. Note: You do not really need any OBC on this trip (maybe a little laundry and internet time if you want) this is an all-inclusive. So if the OBC is the type if you don't use it, it will be refunded to your Credit Card then that would be a discount IMO.

You really can book the cheapest room you can get because there really aren't that many. I admit to purchasing the Junior Suite (which they have 1) because I really wanted a window that opened (ie. balcony). Also, if you are not picky about time of year, the cheaper months seem to be Sept/Oct. The only reason we could determine the cheaper seasons is fewer people travel at this time. We thought the weather, sights, water were perfect for us but that is all subjective.

For us this was definitely a splurge vacation but I'm really glad we did so.

Make sure you visit the Monster Thread which is under the Celebrity Roll Calls, Under Xpedition. IT is a sticky at the top.

I seriously doubt if this cruise is ever discounted because it's almost always 3/4 sold out more than a year out. If you are an elite member you do get a 10% discount off the price of the cruise. And I've learned since my trip, that many TAs will give you OBC if you book with them. Note: You do not really need any OBC on this trip (maybe a little laundry and internet time if you want) this is an all-inclusive. So if the OBC is the type if you don't use it, it will be refunded to your Credit Card then that would be a discount IMO.

You really can book the cheapest room you can get because there really aren't that many. I admit to purchasing the Junior Suite (which they have 1) because I really wanted a window that opened (ie. balcony). Also, if you are not picky about time of year, the cheaper months seem to be Sept/Oct. The only reason we could determine the cheaper seasons is fewer people travel at this time. We thought the weather, sights, water were perfect for us but that is all subjective.

For us this was definitely a splurge vacation but I'm really glad we did so.

Make sure you visit the Monster Thread which is under the Celebrity Roll Calls, Under Xpedition. IT is a sticky at the top.

Yes, this is a specialized cruise...one we will do sooner or later. I'd die to go on it. So you won't see any real disconts. I assmue the wx is pretty much the same all year round due to the equator passing right through the islands!

And you'll notice in the list of Reviews, there's nothing ever less than 4-stars because people understand what the cruise is all about and aren't going to complain about the steak not being perfectly cooked, although I'm sure they are All great!

One of these days.......

Den

• 2 months later...

"Also, if you are not picky about time of year, the cheaper months seem to be Sept/Oct. The only reason we could determine the cheaper seasons is fewer people travel at this time. We thought the weather, sights, water were perfect for us but that is all subjective."

From my limited research so far, the main differences between the late summer and late winter are: (1) the seas are rougher during August-October if you are prone to motion sickness and (2) the water termperatures are significantly colder during August-October, so you cannot snorkel without a wet suit.

It's just an outstanding trip...the trip of a lifetime if you love animals. We went in Oct a few years ago and it was ideal. Yes, I wore a celebrity provided wet suit (free) when swimming with the penguins, turtles and seals.

As far as cabins go, just avoid the very front cabins on the bottom deck because of anchor noise. Other than that, any cabin is wonderful and here's a financial hint: the deluxe ocean view cabins are identical to the premium ocean view cabins in every respect. The difference in one deck makes absolutely no difference on this trip.

same all year round due to the equator passing right through the islands!

It's true that they are on the equator but that does not mean that you can expect waters like the Caribbean. Don't forget, it's no accident that they have penguins on the Galapagos!

:).

"Also, if you are not picky about time of year, the cheaper months seem to be Sept/Oct. The only reason we could determine the cheaper seasons is fewer people travel at this time. We thought the weather, sights, water were perfect for us but that is all subjective."

From my limited research so far, the main differences between the late summer and late winter are: (1) the seas are rougher during August-October if you are prone to motion sickness and (2) the water termperatures are significantly colder during August-October, so you cannot snorkel without a wet suit.

we were on this cruise in December 2010. Pacific was still cold and you needed a wetsuit to snorkel. December cruise right after thanksgiving was great. Live animal births, steady seas and Luly the massage therapist.. Oh yes, I did go for the animal sightseeing/... but Luly................simply extraordinary. Go on this cruise Five Fins Up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! . But remember you are here for the naturalists,animals and adventure

:D:D:D:D

Archived