Early Saver downgrade due to income changes?

jpennin217

We booked an aft balcony on the Liberty for July using ES. My wife's job is decreasing wages again for the 3rd time in two years due to budget constraints (Have to love working for the school district). It is equal to just about the difference from the balcony to an inside cabin over the year. I know that with ES you are not suppose to be able to downgrade but what do you think would Carnival let us downgrade due to this? We would love to keep the balcony but the savings would help us out.

The no downgrading rule isnt in public, its a internal rule .. they said the one line saying you have to price match to the same category, means you cant change cabins. I pointed out that I know lots who upgraded, let me see this rule in print .. they cant show it to you.

I fought it .. good luck. I contacted carnival every way I could asking for the rule in print. I even had legal involved who said that the price matching to the same category covered them legally .. I said I read that, and I dont see that is says you can upgrade but not downgrade.. but it will be a fight.

We got to the point of .. they said all upgrades and downgrades are on a case by case basis. I called BS, I knew they allowed pretty much any upgrade and it was fine if you paid for it.. so that it was not true they dont allow you to change cabins at all .. its only downgrading and the rule clearly doesnt address this .. plan on taking your fight higher.

Dont think you will have much luck. We had the same problem a few weeks ago and they would not allow us to downgrade. They were more than happy to let me upgrade but downgrading brought a deaf ear.

Hope you have better luck than we did.

I did get a supervisor's permission to downgrade one cabin because I was upgrading another quite a bit and it meant lots more $$ for them. It was only one level from a 4J to a 4H...okay two levels, but the other 4J was going to an 8H, so they let me do it.:rolleyes:

May want to write them a letter explaining the situation and see if they will do anything.

I would start writing emails, not snail mail .. to get answers faster, start asking for the rule about downgrading in print, demanding it.

I started contacting VPs, just putting their first initial, last name @ carnival . com until I hit one.

I was able to downgrade from a balcony to an oceanview when I switched my ES rate from the Legend to the Sensation.

I did have to pay the $50/pp change fee, however.

It may be worth it to pay the fee in order to save the difference in the categories.

We booked an aft balcony on the Liberty for July using ES. My wife's job is decreasing wages again for the 3rd time in two years due to budget constraints (Have to love working for the school district). It is equal to just about the difference from the balcony to an inside cabin over the year. I know that with ES you are not suppose to be able to downgrade but what do you think would Carnival let us downgrade due to this? We would love to keep the balcony but the savings would help us out.

not a chance.......CCL allows no exceptions with their ES fares. Personally, I will never book w/ ES again...........too risky......last cruise I had to rebook twice........hence cost us 200 buc ks.....50/pp twice....suks

I would start writing emails, not snail mail .. to get answers faster, start asking for the rule about downgrading in print, demanding it.

I started contacting VPs, just putting their first initial, last name @ carnival . com until I hit one.

Carnival really needs to clarify the policy. If I were working there, I sure would not want to receive emails asking for exceptions to the policy. Imagine how much time it takes to deal with that?

Better to have a "no exceptions" policy and send all the "exception" requests a form letter response.

It's doubtful that they will let you downgrade. It might be worth the $50pp penalty to cancel & re-book for cruise w/in 2 years, in which scenario you don't have to re-book as Early Saver (but you don't get your so-called non-refundable deposit refunded - just applied to next cruise). ken

Carnival really needs to clarify the policy. If I were working there, I sure would not want to receive emails asking for exceptions to the policy. Imagine how much time it takes to deal with that?

Better to have a "no exceptions" policy and send all the "exception" requests a form letter response.

Then just say in writing, no downgrading. Put it like the no name changes, in the written policy.

Archived