Glory Tours-Explore & Discover Barbados...

CaribQween

We've never been to Barbados and we're trying to figure out a good way to see the island for the first time. We're wondering if anyone has done either of these two tours with Glory Tours or if anyone has any advice on which tour might be better.

The first one is the "Explore and Discover Barbados Tour". It says that the route starts along the South Coast beginning with the Barbados capital of Bridgetown from there we will travel up the coast pass Accra Beach, Oistins, Miami Beach, Foul Bay, St Johns Church, Bathsheba, The East Coast , Stop for lunch then head off to Cherry Tree Hill, North Point. From the North head back down the West Coast to Holetown where you will then board a glass bottom boat for cruise/swim with the sea turtles, then sail down the West Coast and snorkel off of one of the colorful reefs. It's about a 7-hour tour.

They also have an "Experience Barbados Tour" that says it is a 3 hour tour through parts of the Barbados interiour visiting places like Flower Forest where you will be able to walk through the lush topical pathways and then over onto the Rugged East Coast Through Bathsheba, Cattle Wash and Cherry Tree Hill and Holetown. Then with Option B we would get a 1.5 hour Glass Bottom boat trip to swim with the turtles.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Over the holidays I toured with Glory Tours and DO NOT recommend them. I had a reservation but still had to wait 40 minutes to leave the meet area. They had some confussion about which ship we came in on and therefore some confussion about meeting time.......although I was very clear in my reservation, and it was printed on THEIR confirmation to me. It might have been tolerable had they ever admitted their mistake or even said sorry about having to wait to start the tour......but nothing. This was my seventh cruise so I do have some experience with shore trips and I say, without reservation, that this was the worse customer service experience to date.

No advice on which of these tours might be better, but my advice is to look for another tour operator. At least the prior poster was picked up at the pier, although reported waiting over 40 minutes. On our trip to Barbados, we were never picked up, then the company denied our reservation although I was able to provide the confirmation she emailed to me. Don't have your day in Barbados ruined by an irresponsible tour operator.

We used Glory Tours this past December after reading great things about them on here. They picked us up on time just outside the port gate. We were a group of ten so didn't want to chance finding a driver "last minute" as we had never been to Barbados before and didn't know what to expect. We asked for a general tour of the island... more interested in seeing the North Coast and the West. We did stop to see the monkeys (skip the "pay" area as the monkeys are actually outside the gate...animals inside are fun to see for kids but nothing special then most zoos).

Our driver was very nice and informative; knew the island very well. Glad we decided to get a driver on this island instead of driving ourselves which we've done on other islands. Barbados had many small roads, not very well marked to get to the areas we wanted to see. My only complaint was that we didn't get to snorkel as I had mentioned we would have like to do off a beach. The surf was a bit rough that day which is what the driver said was the reason for not bringing us to a spot for snorkeling. Not sure if this was entirely true or if he just didn't want to go to a beach rather then bring us to a tour operator for snorkeling which we didn't want to do (I'm sure drivers get "kick backs" from tour operators).

If I were to do it again, I'd hire a driver just outisde the gates on the day of arrival. The driver we had thru Glory was a taxi driver she hired to drive us. Obviously, we paid a premium and I'm sure we could have negotiated a better rate with the several other taxi drivers standing waiting for cruisers on that day. I would just do some research on what you want to see and where you want to go.

We've never been to Barbados and we're trying to figure out a good way to see the island for the first time. We're wondering if anyone has done either of these two tours with Glory Tours or if anyone has any advice on which tour might be better.

We went on a good introductory tour of the island with Cameron Reid two years ago.

You might look him up on the internet.

We did the "Explore and Discover" tour with Glory Tours last January and it remains very high on our favorite list. VaCruiser has been on about their experience which occurred a few years ago and it has been explained to them what happened, there has been appologies....but the rant and vendetta continues. My suggestion would be to give the post a giant ignore and book with Glory, we have every intention of doing so next January when we are back. Sarah is not always the best communicator but she does run a good tour and has great people working for her.

• 3 weeks later...

We did a private tour with Glory tours on 4 Feb as we wanted to add some places to advertised group tour There were just 2 of us and we had Sarah . She was on time , had loads of history about the island and told us lots of lovely stories . Nothing was too much trouble for her , and I would fully recommend Glory tours

• 2 weeks later...

I have to give a thumbs up as well to Glory Tours and Sarah. We toured with her last April and spent a wonderful day seeing everything. She has great folklore about the island, knows everyone, and took us to some great places. I am sure every once in a while there is a mix up as happens with most businesses but would not miss a tour with her! ;) Hoping to get back there next April and will book her again....Our group of 8 all agreed it was "the" tour to top.

We had a tour booked with Sarah at Glory tours a couple of weeks ago.

The day before the tour we had to cancel as my husband had been ill with the flu.

As promised she promptly refunded my credit card within the week.

I hope to return to Barbados and rebook with her.

We did a tour with Glory Tours in November 08. We had some trouble actually finding our tour guide, but we just kept asking around and eventually found them. The tour itself was great, we did the Touch of Splendor tour - the monkeys were the best part!

It's been a week ago since I emailed Jemel but haven't heard back yet. Is this a bad sign?

Jemel Phillips - we just got back and had him as a driver/guide. He was by far the best guide I have had at all the islands we visited. Prompt, friendly, great customer service. Highly recommend!

bambitaxi@hotmail.com

We arrived early, but found Sarah with no problems and were hooked up with Vernon who brought us and 3 other couples around the island in a 10 passenger air conditioned van. We left about 10 minutes late abut the rest of the tour went well. The caves tour was delayed because of the number of folks who showed up, not the fault of Glory Tours. Lunch was excellent. Because of the delay at the Cave we had our swim with the turtles/ shipwreck cut a little short but overall they did a great job.

Jemel is a personal friend of mine. I met him on my first visit to Barbados. I got engaged on a Glory Tour with Jemel as my driver. A year later we returned for our wedding at The Crane and Jemel was one of our guests. He does not have steady internet service and doesnt check his email often. He is one of the greatest men I know on earth. Im from NY and I have to say the people of Barbados are friendliest people I have ever met. Jemel calls me on all holidays and on my birthday. Me and my wife are currently expecting a little one and Ill be sure to call Jemel and let him know when my wife goes into labor. If you have him as a driver im sure he will show you pics of me and my wife. He carries them with him in his van.

My wife and I recently did a Glory Tour excursion with Jemel as the driver. He was on time at the cruise port, although only waited 5 minutes after the agreed time for another couple who were supposed to be on the trip and didn't show (which was only fair as we didn't want the day cut short and there were others on the tour already in his van as they were picked up at a hotel). We left promptly.

We did the Harrisons Caves (excellent), the wildlife park (never seen so many tortoises in my life), a lunch stop on the East coast, and finished with time at Holetown beach.

Jemel was very good, and when we didn't see any monkeys at the wildlife gardens he drove us across to the neighbouring gardens to see them as the creatures tend to go there at certain times when they are feeding.

I would have no problems recommending them, based on our day with them 3 weeks ago.

I would not recommend Glory Tours. Our lunch stop was an old weathered shack in the fish market. I did not feel comfortable eating the food. Sarah was our guide and spent a great deal of her time on the phone organizing and solving problems on her other tours. We were a group of 8 on a private tour. I was not at all impressed.

We sent in reservation request for April for Glory tours and received automated response stating we would have a response withing 24 hours, that was a week ago. I see that they have charged our credit card for the deposit but no confirmation. I have tried emailing to two different addresses but only get automated reply. Is this usual for this tour company?

I would not recommend Glory Tours. Our lunch stop was an old weathered shack in the fish market. I did not feel comfortable eating the food. Sarah was our guide and spent a great deal of her time on the phone organizing and solving problems on her other tours. We were a group of 8 on a private tour. I was not at all impressed.

Wow, it is just hard to imagine that you had an experience like this when our tour was the best of any tours we had ever had. We ate in a local roadside restaurant and had flying fish and fried mac and cheese -2 of the local specialites. Sarah was a wonderful narrator and historian although did take time to check on her other tours. So sorry to hear of your unfortunate experience.

Same here. I sent in form , got automated reply, charged and then when I asked Sarah about the tour pass she said she would send it to me later that day. Then she emailed me to ask what ship we were on and then nothing since...almost 2 weeks now and have sent several emails :confused:

Just curious.....what date were you there? If it was on March 3, she was probably trying to solve the problems with us! Very disappointing excursion! I love Barbados, but would never use her again or recommend her! The last time we were there, we did a catamaran (Shasa) and it was wonderful!

Archived