No fresh scrambled eggs for you!

manmachine

On Fantasy as I write this. Lots of fun so far-- ship in good shape. Moat staff terrific as always. Perhaps the best cabin steward ever for our GS U107.

And I won the blackjack tournament last night!

Culinary crews do seem a tad more new and less polished than I have seen before. We bought a wine package, and the person did not know you

ctually got to pick from several different wines. We do not seem to have a team of two waitstaff, but more like the attention of a team of five-- but they seem to have more tables... Not sure who our dedicated persons are, for sure.

But all nice... Just asked for fresh scrambled on Lido at Omelet station... Was told that was not allowed, since scrambled were already made up front...

I know that's not right, but no biggie either. Over all, pretty darn good cruise!

I suggest you try the eggs again. You can get made to order eggs at the omelette station. ..including scrambles...which I have almost every morning on a cruise.

On Liberty this past week, the omelet area on the Lido had plenty of fresh eggs available for people wanting fried eggs. Perhaps they do not want to take the time to beat the fresh eggs since they have pre-scrambled fresh eggs already there.

They also offer egg white omelets.

Yeah, I can understand but at the same time, they're told to make omelette's, nothing else. My husband brought bacon with him to see if they'd toss in the omelette as they were preparing and cooking but they said no.:rolleyes:

Oh well, my hubby enjoyed the food anyways. No biggie!

My DH always brings his bacon with him and crunches it up while waiting in line then asks the chef to add it to his omelet and he's never been turned down.

I often see the discussion of scrambled eggs on the boards and would like to add my comments being that I am a career food service professional in my "real life". The egss used to make the scrambled eggs are not powdered or reconstituted. They are pasteurized whole eggs, often used in food service applications for speed and safety. Being pasteurized, it eliminates the possibility of transmission of salmonella.

Graham is right. I have seen the eggs when they refill their can and I occasionally see a yolk in there so they are REAL eggs. Certainly not powdered eggs?????:rolleyes:

...the appeal (and texture) of scrambled eggs that have sat in a chafing dish over moist heat pales in comparison to eggs scrambled to order in front of me. That said, I no longer eat eggs (even from the omelette station) while on a cruise.

I agree with this statement and they are usually not very hot. I am surprised they would tell you no. And to the people that say "so you aren't holding up the line so they can make you fresh scrambled eggs" give me a break. If they are willing to stand in line & wait for what they want, they should get what they want and the people behind them have to deal with it.:rolleyes:

This thread just reminded me of one more thing to be excited for while waiting the next 46 days to sail. I love the scrambled eggs on the buffet. I put them in a bowl with some of the juice from the fresh salsa. I look forward to them every day. Yummy!!

Me too, me too!!! I love those eggs. Sometimes I get a few pieces of crispy bacon and crunch it up and pile it onto the eggs...sometimes I put a bit of ketchup on the side and lightly dip. (I'll have to try the salsa trick on our next cruise) Most times I just shower the eggs with salt and a bit of pepper and scarf them down. With a SPOON! :p;) I've even noticed a few pre made "mini/skinny" omelettes with just a bit of cheese stuffing on the buffet line some mornings and I just LOVE those too....oh,man...I am going to have to go to a diner for breakfast tomorrow! :eek:

And on the days they have grits...throw it all in bowl...are you happy to see me or are there grits on the buffet today!!!

I don't remember the grits, but I LOVE the oatmeal too....I put brown sugar on top and let it melt down....a bowl of that and my plate of scrambled eggs every morning....sometimes I get wild and crazy and put some toast on my plate. I love cottage cheese too. Can't stand the stuff at home, but on a ship I can eat bowls of it...can't figure out why they have it at the breakfast buffet and not the lunch....:mad::( so that is usually my "breakfast dessert." :D;)

I worked my way through college as a short order cook. Generally, we preferred NOT to scramble eggs in our egg pans....the act of scrambling them, even with a silicone spatula, just tended to screw up the pans. Even after the pans had been cleaned, they subsequently tended to stick when trying to flip over-easy eggs or omelets.

For that reason, we scrambled our eggs on a large flat griddle, and kept the egg pans pristine for the "flippers".

I'll note that, occasionally, if we needed to make a LOT of scrambled eggs on short notice for our buffet, we would use a microwave. I didn't like doing that because I felt that scrambled eggs came out with a funny texture and almost a "boiled egg" taste. If Carnival is doing that, it would explain why the scrambled eggs on the buffet seem like fakes.

I'm trying to remember what they told "Cousin Vinnie". I believe it's some sort of corn (Hominy) that is ground and boiled. Probably closer to Maypo than oatmeal. Eat with butter, salt and pepper. Down South is the obligatory sausage gravy, grits and biscuit. Old military habit of scrambled eggs, covered in grits and sausage gravy. This was some time ago before the cholesterol police came in effect. Still good on vacation.....

I'm trying to remember what they told "Cousin Vinnie". I believe it's some sort of corn (Hominy) that is ground and boiled. Probably closer to Maypo than oatmeal. Eat with butter, salt and pepper. Down South is the obligatory sausage gravy, grits and biscuit. Old military habit of scrambled eggs, covered in grits and sausage gravy. This was some time ago before the cholesterol police came in effect. Still good on vacation.....

Hmmm....my dad was in the Army stationed at Ft. Benning, GA where I was born. Never heard of this, but he got out and we moved " back home" before I was eating, so I missed this delicacy. I am gonna leave it for the southerners! :eek: I don't mind having a coke with breakfast, tho! ;);)

You can get fried eggs- but I have to agree that since scrambled eggs are already offered at the station why would they tie up the line for those?

Maybe they want fresh scrambled eggs and not the one's sitting on the buffet.

I go to the dinning room where I can get fresh scrambled eggs.

On Fantasy as I write this. Lots of fun so far-- ship in good shape. Moat staff terrific as always. Perhaps the best cabin steward ever for our GS U107.

And I won the blackjack tournament last night!

Culinary crews do seem a tad more new and less polished than I have seen before. We bought a wine package, and the person did not know you

ctually got to pick from several different wines. We do not seem to have a team of two waitstaff, but more like the attention of a team of five-- but they seem to have more tables... Not sure who our dedicated persons are, for sure.

But all nice... Just asked for fresh scrambled on Lido at Omelet station... Was told that was not allowed, since scrambled were already made up front...

I know that's not right, but no biggie either. Over all, pretty darn good cruise!

sorry you had this issue. I do not like mushy eggs so I always ask the person at the omlet station to scramble me eggs well done, they have always done it. Sometimes they are not sure what I am asking for and I have to say it again and then again sometimes but I dont mind. I have heard that they use the Fantasy as a training ship... not positive butheard this. Hope you still had a good time, wish I was cruising about now, over the coooooooold weather

The eggs used in cooking, baking. scrambled eggs and on the omelet bar aboard ship are all real whole pasteurized eggs that come in 50 lb. buckets. "Bucket eggs". Most institutions and bakeries us these as they are safest most cost effective distribution of bulk quantity of eggs. They are not dry reconstituted eggs! Fresh cracked eggs are used for the omelet bar for the fried eggs. Unpasteurized eggs/ fresh cracked eggs pose a health problem if not stored and handled properly. Only cracked eggs are set up on as anticipated basis.

Archived