No fresh scrambled eggs for you!

manmachine

On Fantasy as I write this. Lots of fun so far-- ship in good shape. Moat staff terrific as always. Perhaps the best cabin steward ever for our GS U107.

And I won the blackjack tournament last night!

Culinary crews do seem a tad more new and less polished than I have seen before. We bought a wine package, and the person did not know you

ctually got to pick from several different wines. We do not seem to have a team of two waitstaff, but more like the attention of a team of five-- but they seem to have more tables... Not sure who our dedicated persons are, for sure.

But all nice... Just asked for fresh scrambled on Lido at Omelet station... Was told that was not allowed, since scrambled were already made up front...

I know that's not right, but no biggie either. Over all, pretty darn good cruise!

Eggs. Schmegs.

CONGRATS on winning the blackjack tourney! :D

I have never ordered scrambled eggs at the omelet station. However I have not been told no when I made a request on what to put in the omelet. Bacon was in the same line and was added. On our last cruise we ate all of our breakfast in the MDR so we didn’t have to carry trays and hunt for a seat. It takes longer than eating from the buffet because they have to cook each meal. It was better to have someone to wait on us than to wait on ourselves. ;)

I have never ordered scrambled eggs at the omelet station. However I have not been told no when I made a request on what to put in the omelet. Bacon was in the same line and was added. On our last cruise we ate all of our breakfast in the MDR so we didn’t have to carry trays and hunt for a seat. It takes longer than eating from the buffet because they have to cook each meal. It was better to have someone to wait on us than to wait on ourselves. ;)

Seriously considering the MDR as our regular breakfast stop on our upcoming cruise on the Dream. We enjoyed the MDR breakfast twice on our last trip and just might have gotten spoiled to it.

Wow, did manmachine kick someone's dog or something? You guys are being a little rough on him. He just asked for some fresh scrambled eggs, not the goose who laid the golden egg.

LOL! Boy, that's the truth!

I can't help but wonder, if tips were actually based on service, if this would be an issue.

Sigh, I remember the good old days when cruising was about the customer...

Anybody familiar with "Give 'em the pickle"? This is a classic case.

I've always gotten eggs prepared any way that I want them at the omelet station. I prefer fresh eggs not reconstituted powdered eggs.

They have never even questioned my request, and if the OP was denied I would have asked the restaurant manager why the change of policy.

Carnival does not use reconstituted powdered eggs. No cruise line does, it is an urban myth. They use fresh eggs that are scrambled ashore and then packaged in cartons like milk. The eggs have never been powdered.

BTW don't order scrambled eggs in the MDR either , they come from the same cartons.

I demand a different egg dish each morning, new, innovative, creative, or I will be displeased with the entire cruise experience! ALSO--why can't we have new breakfast meats other than ham, bacon, and various sausages. I need more variety. I think I am going to stop cruising.

If you can't get scrambled eggs in the omelet line then anybody with more than X number of items can't use the express checkout line!! ;-)

Does anybody honestly think management approved sending a paying customer away because they wanted a "freshmade" egg dish? What exactly would that add to the "cruise" experience?

IMHO it's idiotic for the help to treat a customer that way. What's an egg cost? What's the cost of a dissatisfied customer?

It just doesn't make sense for an employee in his position to make this call.

YMMV and it probably will...

If you can't get scrambled eggs in the omelet line then anybody with more than X number of items can't use the express checkout line!! ;-)

Does anybody honestly think management approved sending a paying customer away because they wanted a "freshmade" egg dish? What exactly would that add to the "cruise" experience?

IMHO it's idiotic for the help to treat a customer that way. What's an egg cost? What's the cost of a dissatisfied customer?

It just doesn't make sense for an employee in his position to make this call.

YMMV and it probably will...

Agree completely! Will I stop cruising Carnival? Heck no. Big deal? No. Your point is perfect, though-- what did they gain by refusing?

Carnival does not use reconstituted powdered eggs. No cruise line does, it is an urban myth. They use fresh eggs that are scrambled ashore and then packaged in cartons like milk. The eggs have never been powdered.

BTW don't order scrambled eggs in the MDR either , they come from the same cartons.

Then why does the home office in Miami tell Celiacs NOT to eat the eggs on the buffet, but to make sure the cook uses fresh eggs? There are other ingredients in there besides just eggs. If the mix in the container was just eggs there would not be a problem.

I always go to the omlette station at any breakfast buffet and order 2-3 eggs hard scrambled and have never had a problem. Like others have said, the scrambled eggs that are already prepared at a buffet just don't have the same flavor or texture. I don't want a plain omlette because it would be too soft in the middle for me.

Do you know when this changed ? I personally watched the assistant cracking eggs for an hour and placing two in each bowl and then stacking the bowls for the cook to use as needed.

You watched some guy crack eggs for an entire hour? How boring was your cruise?

Just got off Pride and had no problems getting scrambled eggs from the omelet station.

Perhaps it's because I asked for them scrambled after they started making them. Had no problem asking for

no oil either.

I did have problems getting hot bagels though. Don't like toasted bagels getting soggy and steamed

as they wait in the tray with their "brothers" waiting to be picked.

When I asked, once I was refused, another time they reheated a previously toasted bagel. Only the 3rd

time did they toast it fresh for me.

Do you know when this changed ? I personally watched the assistant cracking eggs for an hour and placing two in each bowl and then stacking the bowls for the cook to use as needed.

Really??

This has not changed in many years. The 2 eggs cracked into bowls are for eggs to order. The omelets are made from a large bowl of pre-prepared whipped eggs. I have no idea if they mix that up in the galley or if it comes from a carton of omelet mix.

I order eggs over medium. They usually end up as eggs over easy. Sometimes eggs over hard, but never eggs over medium.:D

Any possibility the power of suggestion is at work here?

If you think the eggs in the buffet line are powdered or reconstituted, you won't like them even if they're real (which they are).

If you see eggs cracked in front of you, you'll like them more than if you see them come out of a carton, even if the ones in the carton are real, pre-cracked :rolleyes: eggs and nothing else (which they are).

I don't fancy myself a scambled eggs fan connoisseur, but I've enjoyed them from the buffet line and have enjoyed every one of the omelets Carnival has made for me (usually with a Bloody Mary, sshhhh, don't tell!! :D), wherever they come from.

As for why Carnival won't do this or that....they have their business reasons, and we as passengers couldn't care less what those reasons are, we're only concerned about what we want. Whatever it is at the time.

If this were the worst issue on my cruise, I'd come home feeling like I'd had a right lolly time.

Bon appetit, everyone! :)

They do this for those wanting fried eggs. They still do it.

• 2 weeks later...
Then why does the home office in Miami tell Celiacs NOT to eat the eggs on the buffet, but to make sure the cook uses fresh eggs? There are other ingredients in there besides just eggs. If the mix in the container was just eggs there would not be a problem.

I do not believe that Carnival uses reconstituted powdered eggs. But they may use pastuerized eggs from a carton that may contain other ingredients such as emulsifiers which may not necessarily be gluten free.

I work in foodservice. In my restaurant we have omelettes on the menu. For our omelette mix, a bunch of whole eggs are cracked into a mixer. Other ingredients such as a touch of cream and a touch of sour cream are added to make them light and fluffy. But our "egg mix" does not come out of a carton. That said, commercial preparations of "sour cream" could contain gluten (if you read carefully the ingredients on some containers of sour cream from the supermarket you'll see that the products usually are not just "cultured milk or cream"). There are probably emulsifiers and/or thickeners that are derived from a variety of sources.

One other thing: if you order scrambled egg whites or an egg white omelette in my restaurant, then that does come out of a carton. Obviously, we are in business to make money, so egg yolks will not be discarded just to scramble egg whites.......but if a guest specifically indentified themselves as Celiac (or any other condition) and requested egg whites separated from freshly cracked eggs, we would oblige without argument.

Archived