Live Emerald b2b Jan 17 and Jan 27

vickie_bernie

Sitting in the shade on Dickenson Beach using free wifi. We took a taxi here ($12 per taxi) as our usual mode (local buses) weren't running today (Sunday). The day is sunny and perfectly hot and breezy.

We spent our two days at sea very lazily. I did do ZUMBA once, and talked with Miko about it. He and Alyssia are coreographing the songs themselves. Apparently it's not quite like Jazzercise, which I am more familiar with. They do a great job.

We staked out two loungers on the Terrace Deck on each sea day and then stayed in them all day, watching the wake. That meant breakfast and lunch in the buffet, and our absence was noted in the dining room. Noro restrictions were lifted on the morning of the second sea day and we are quite happy about that.

We are still waitlisted on the next cruise- #8 at last check - and ate beginning to lose hope. Is it time to rejoin the RW (real world)? We're considering either a 12 night Azamara cruise in late February or a 14 night Princess Hawaii cruise in March to ease the transition. We'll see...

Everything continues to be great, or as DH told our waitress at breakfast today when asked how things were- it's perfect!

I just spent a few minutes reading this post and have loved every minute of it. We are going on the Emerald in December and can't wait. I saw in your last post you mentioned Gyros.... I love them. Were they good, and where and when can you them. This will be our first time going to Antigua and we can't wait. Can't wait to read more.

thanks I love cruising and sharing our experience, i won't report right now on what we did in Antigua as I will write it up off line adn post later.

The Gyros are served at the Trident grill, not every day but occassionally just check the menu they post there. They are not as good as at home, they use a tortilla instead of a pita bread and the taziki could be more garlicy. Guess that is one thing here on board is that things are milder as it has to appeal to the masses.

off to watch sail away from Antigua

Sitting in the shade on Dickenson Beach using free wifi. We took a taxi here ($12 per taxi) as our usual mode (local buses) weren't running today (Sunday). The day is sunny and perfectly hot and breezy.

We spent our two days at sea very lazily. I did do ZUMBA once, and talked with Miko about it. He and Alyssia are coreographing the songs themselves. Apparently it's not quite like Jazzercise, which I am more familiar with. They do a great job.

We staked out two loungers on the Terrace Deck on each sea day and then stayed in them all day, watching the wake. That meant breakfast and lunch in the buffet, and our absence was noted in the dining room. Noro restrictions were lifted on the morning of the second sea day and we are quite happy about that.

We are still waitlisted on the next cruise- #8 at last check - and ate beginning to lose hope. Is it time to rejoin the RW (real world)? We're considering either a 12 night Azamara cruise in late February or a 14 night Princess Hawaii cruise in March to ease the transition. We'll see...

Everything continues to be great, or as DH told our waitress at breakfast today when asked how things were- it's perfect!

Hi Jeannie and Greg,

Move that March date to February 26 and join the 4 of us to Hawaii on the Saphire Princess. We have been lurking in the background reading your posts remembering our great holiday together.

Sweet Regards

Grant and Carol, Jan and Phil

Antigua

We are along the dock first thing and we don’t have to be at our meeting place until 9:50 so we have time which is nice as it is always enjoyable to watch the ship come along the pier and tie up. It is already very hot. We slather on the sunscreen 50 spf in areas, 30 in others.

We booked Eli-Eco Adventure tours and we were met promptly at 9:50 and they took us out of the harbor then along the island at high speeds, it was GREAT. We love being on the water. There were 25 of us on the boat but it didn’t feel crowded and there were numerous cruise critic people so we already knew each other.

The crew were very helpful telling us about the island, pointing out sights and islands and talking about various wildlife. We docked at bird island where we were given time to swim, stay on the boat or climb up to the look out. We decided to climb up to the look out, and it was an easy hike but you do need good shoes. The views up on top were beautiful and we got lots of time to take pictures. After returning to the boat we swam for a while and enjoyed the beach for about 20 minutes.

We drop anchor around the bend were we are treated to a delightful lunch of salad, pasta salad, plantains and barbecued chicken with banana bread for dessert.

After lunch we travel to Hell’s Gate where we are once again given the option of snorkeling, climbing the rocks, swimming or relaxing on board the boat. Bernie snorkels and I decide to climb up on Hell’s Gate. You definitely need good shoes, flip flops will not do and you have to be prepared to get whatever you wear wet. The rocks and climbing are very difficult to manage but can be done, but be warned the edges are sharp and footing can be touchy, but the caves and views are stunning and worth it. But I did cut my foot and someone else cut her leg on the rocks. Bernie said the snorkeling was good but not great.

Our next stop was a snorkel stop where we could snorkel around the boat or head off with Nicole. I decided to head off with Nicole but have to say it was hard to keep up with her, thankfully I am a strong swimmer and managed but it seemed like we were in a constant race to keep up with her and we didn’t get to really enjoy the sea life. I have to say that I was rather disappointed in this and would definitely suggest that if you are going to take part just snorkel around the boat and enjoy the wildlife. We did see a manta ray as soon as we got in the water. Check out the picture.

We were back at the pier around 3:50 and Bernie went into the Exotic Antigua store right there to pick up some Tommy Bahamas shirts at a very good price.

We headed up to the Captain’s Cocktail Party for the Most Travelled Passengers and this time we didn’t eat dinner before hand so we could enjoy the finger foods. It was nice to sit and chat with so many others and many of the officers.

After the party we went to Café Caribe to enjoy a small dinner (last night was Italian night) and it was yummy.

Vines was our next stop where even more wine was consumed with friends and then we caught the TV Multi Media Trivia already in progress but had fun trying to get the answers. It is now 11:00 pm and we are both in need of sleep. Tomorrow St. Lucia, and no plans.

Ah, yes Rick. But let's talk again on Wednesday!:p

Ahem, well, uh, yeah. Let's talk about today. Ice coated roads, below freezing temps, and snow falling. No need to wait until Weds ... although tomorrow we're going to be in the deep freeze and the people whining about how cold it is today will probably just fall over and die ;)

Vickie,

I'm really enjoying following you and Bernie along on your journey.

A quick question.

Do you need to get dressed up ( eg suit and tie minimum) for the Captain's Cocktail Party or will smart casual be sufficient?

My wife and I are not planning on packing suits/dresses and dressing up for the formal nights, but will dress smart casual for some dinners in the DR and would like to go the Captain's Cocktail Party, if smart casual is acceptable.

Vickie,

A quick question.

Do you need to get dressed up ( eg suit and tie minimum) for the Captain's Cocktail Party or will smart casual be sufficient?

My wife and I are not planning on packing suits/dresses and dressing up for the formal nights, but will dress smart casual for some dinners in the DR and would like to go the Captain's Cocktail Party, if smart casual is acceptable.

we are in barbados still have to write the blog entry for St. Lucia but it will have to wait till after we get back from our tour

to answer you questions, whatever the dress is that day that is what is applicable. There are two CC party days with two parties each day. Tonight is the first event and we are attending the second one 7:30 today's dress is smart casual. The next event is the day in St. thomas and it is smart casual then too.

Vickie,

A quick question.

There is no minimum requirement dress required for the Captains Cocktail Party even on formal nights.

Free wifi on Rockley Beach, Barbados...

We've had a wonderful day on Barbados, an as I sit here with temps in the 80s and the beautiful blue water of Rockley Beach, it is -12 (that's F, not C) and snowing at home. :D. Getting a good return on our cruise investment today, for sure!

Grant and Carol, Jan and Phil- we have thought of you so much today! We took the bus today from the southbound bus terminal in Bridgetown past Oistins (remember?) around the southern most point of the island and to the airport, where we got a more direct bus back to Rockley. Sitting under the same palm tree as two years ago with you guys! We are going to walk the beautiful new boardwalk north along the coast until we run out of time, and then catch a bus back to town and walk back to the ship. Total investment for the day: $6 in bus fares. And since we were the only passengers on the bus around the southern point of the island, we got quite a narration from the driver.

I checked the Golden- it's waitlisted too. We really need to make plans together for next winter! We are thinking more and more about staying on Barbados for a month or two one winter, but may cruise again next year.

St. Lucia is a beautiful port to come into, very lush and very mountainous. We are docked now and we don’t have any plans today. We were here once before and did a great tour with Cossol but don’t feel like another tour so we will probably just walk around. There was a notice last night that they will be working on painting our hand rails today all along our deck. It is 8:30 and they are out there already, so we will leave soon so they can do their work and we don’t have to deal with the smell.

We are off the ship around 10:30, we are docked where there are quite a few shops, you can take a water taxi for $3 round trip to the town, but we both needed some walking and walked to the centre of Souffries and checked out the market and local shops and neighborhoods. Bernie picked some banana ketchup and some hot sauce. The people here are very friendly and they work very hard to get your business, don’t be put off by their aggressiveness a friendly no thank you will work. After about two hours of walking I am tired, Bernie wants to continue so we separate and I catch the water taxi back to the ship and Bernie you walked towards the airport and a beautiful beach called Veggie Beach which had a nice resort called the Rendez vous. The beach was deserted, it had some good waves, good for body surfing, few locals and very friendly and he felt safe the entire time. On the way back he enjoyed a couple of local beers (Pitons) two for $3, another stressful day. Strangest thing was sitting on our balcony listening to the band in the square play country western music.

I ended up coming back on and grabbing a bite to eat in the Horizon Court where I met up with Brian/Christine and Paul/Yvonne where they filled me in on their day. We both ended up having a nap, in fact we slept so soundly we didn’t even hear room service delivering our canapés around 4! Good thing I was wearing clothes.

We met up with Johannes in Skywalkers for drinks, Colin/Gwenda and our new friends Millie and Jim joined us, later Peter showed up to make his appearance. Tonight the drink was cosmos and well we enduldged. Sailaway was beautiful from St. Lucia.

Tonight the Café Caribe theme is German Buffet. We grab a plate, one good thing is we don’t often over eat when we dine in the Café Caribe. Explorer’s lounge is hosting Majority Rules and we usually love the game, but once again I feel the entertainment on board is lacking and even the usual fun game is a dud, and we found it boring.

Tomorrow is Barbados we hit the hay relatively early and well after so many drinks we are passed out.

Barbados

We dock early and we are the only ship in port. This is the excursion we have been waiting for. We once again booked Silvermoon, in fact we booked it six months to the day – the earliest you can book.

We are told to meet at gate 2 where a bus takes us to the boats. There are nine of us on the catamaran! The other boat they have is less expensive but twice as many people. We head south to snorkel with the turtles. We have done this three times now but this has been the best time ever. We were surrounded by them and they even let us pet their backs (we were told this is okay but don’t hold on to them). They swam around us for at least a half hour where I got lots of great shots and video.

Our next stop is a snorkel spot where there are two shipwrecks. Bernie feeds the fish and there are lots of them but not too many varieties and after snorkeling in Bonaire everything is compared to that experience. We snorkel here for about another half hour. We then start heading north to a beautiful beach and drop anchor. Here we are given the opportunity to swim off the boat while lunch is prepared. A fabulous hot lunch is served (lots of food) and great beverages, beer, soda, water, rum punch, red/white wine. After lunch we can swim some more.

We pull up anchor and I lay out on the mesh at the front of the catamaran to dry off and oh my I think I am in heaven. I hear the water below me and the hot sun beating down, and laughter coming from our friends.

We are dropped off at the pier at 2:30 and again Silvermoon does not disappoint, once again they are the best excursion we have ever done while cruising and can highly recommend them.

I am sitting here on my balcony listening to the steel drum band on the deck below – gee they are playing YMCA and we both laugh! At least it is better than Country Western in the Caribbean.

Tonight is our Captain Circle Party, we are opting out of the dining room again and will head to the Horizon Court of Café Caribe.

Vickie - What absolutely wonderful accounts!!! They would be painful to me if I were not booked on the Emerald for Sunday. Minus 30 in our part of the country and a 30 cm. snow dump on offer for tomorrow. Hope they will clear it up for flying out Friday. Thanks again for the inspirational posts!

"but once again I feel the entertainment on board is lacking and even the usual fun game is a dud, and we found it boring. "

Vickie, I am going to once again recommend that if you want great entertainment, stop into Crooners one night between 9:15 and midnight, where Arny G is singing and playing piano. He is a great friend of ours, but also is a wonderful entertainer. Every night is different. He does requests. He is just a delight and gives his all every night. Definitely not boring!

Judy

I am going to once again recommend that if you want great entertainment, stop into Crooners one night between 9:15 and midnight, where Arny G is singing and playing piano. Definitely not boring!

Judy

Agree Judy..... Arny is very good - Can we call him "The Piano Man" ? Guess not... that's Billy Joel. Arny was also the featured entertainer at either Club Fusion or the Explorer's lounge one night on our cruise (can't remember which).

Another good group (if they're still on board) was Phoenix Rising in the Wheelhouse Bar. They also do requests and have a dance floor. Very popular.

Vickie and Jeannie,

I came home early from work today because of bad weather and this is the first chance I've had to read your live from thread. I am missing you all sooooo much! It seems like years since we've been on the ship and it's been less than a week.

You guys knew what you were doing by staying on for another cruise! (or two, or three) The weather here is terrible! 2 thirds of the US is going to have bad weather. I was sliding all over the road so I cut out of work early. We are supposed to get up to 15 inches of snow. (I'm sure Bernie has a formula to figure that out ; ) I'm glad you don't have to fly home anytime soon. I just heard that over 10,000 flights have been cancelled today.

I'd give anything to be on that ship right now. Everyone is probably up in Skywalkers right this moment with the drink of the day in their hand. Think of Bill and I the next time you have a drink or are laying in the sun! Tell everyone hi. Enjoy every minute!!!!

Cathy

St. Lucia is a beautiful port to come into, very lush and very mountainous. We are docked now and we don’t have any plans today. We were here once before and did a great tour with Cossol but don’t feel like another tour so we will probably just walk around. There was a notice last night that they will be working on painting our hand rails today all along our deck. It is 8:30 and they are out there already, so we will leave soon so they can do their work and we don’t have to deal with the smell.

We are off the ship around 10:30, we are docked where there are quite a few shops, you can take a water taxi for $3 round trip to the town, but we both needed some walking and walked to the centre of Souffries and checked out the market and local shops and neighborhoods. Bernie picked some banana ketchup and some hot sauce. The people here are very friendly and they work very hard to get your business, don’t be put off by their aggressiveness a friendly no thank you will work. After about two hours of walking I am tired, Bernie wants to continue so we separate and I catch the water taxi back to the ship and Bernie you walked towards the airport and a beautiful beach called Veggie Beach which had a nice resort called the Rendez vous. The beach was deserted, it had some good waves, good for body surfing, few locals and very friendly and he felt safe the entire time. On the way back he enjoyed a couple of local beers (Pitons) two for $3, another stressful day. Strangest thing was sitting on our balcony listening to the band in the square play country western music.

I ended up coming back on and grabbing a bite to eat in the Horizon Court where I met up with Brian/Christine and Paul/Yvonne where they filled me in on their day. We both ended up having a nap, in fact we slept so soundly we didn’t even hear room service delivering our canapés around 4! Good thing I was wearing clothes.

We met up with Johannes in Skywalkers for drinks, Colin/Gwenda and our new friends Millie and Jim joined us, later Peter showed up to make his appearance. Tonight the drink was cosmos and well we enduldged. Sailaway was beautiful from St. Lucia.

Tonight the Café Caribe theme is German Buffet. We grab a plate, one good thing is we don’t often over eat when we dine in the Café Caribe. Explorer’s lounge is hosting Majority Rules and we usually love the game, but once again I feel the entertainment on board is lacking and even the usual fun game is a dud, and we found it boring.

Tomorrow is Barbados we hit the hay relatively early and well after so many drinks we are passed out.

Thank you for taking the time to post.

We will be on Emerald on 16th Feb and have also booked Silver Moon but the 20 pax one - still looking forward to it and even more so since your posting.

Lucia sounds beautiful. Can you please tell me how long it takes to walk/water taxi into Souffries as I didn't realise that we would be so close to it? (The descriptions of the shore excursions make it sound a long way away.) We are doing the Princess half day sail so maybe we can visit Souffires by water taxi afterwards.

Hi Cathy- we miss seeing your and Bill's smiling faces, and wish you were still here too! *Actually, I am not writing this from Skywalkers, but on the Terrace Deck after dark, enjoying a drink with DH and watching the wake. We have begun sitting out here most evenings either in lieu of or after a show. *Stay safe and warm! *That storm sounds brutal.*

*I have to agree with Vickie - while there are a few good shows on this ship, broadly speaking, the entertainment is the weakest part of this cruise experience. Sadly, Beatle Maniacs are not performing this cruise (maybe they're doing the southern itinerary now, or maybe it's just an off week for them). Comedian Peter Sasso last night was really good, but for a ship with three major entertainment venues, most nights we're very lucky to have one good show. Tonight (albeit Captains Circle party night and the tropical deck party at 10:30), there is one show- the crew talent show, performed one time. *Plus the live music, of course, which is excellent, and MUTS, which we generally only watch when it's football. So, more and more frequently, a quiet evening watching the wake is our entertainment of choice. Which ain't all bad.*

No new news on the waitlist front. And I'm beginning to use up toiletries- no more moisturizer, rationing mouthwash. Maybe it's a sign that our wonderful cruising season is coming to an end.*

Re: Soufriere, St. Lucia...it is quite a way from the ship. There is no water taxi there, only a car taxi or a boat trip. Vickie was talking about the water taxi across the harbor in Castries to the craft shops. It can also be reached by foot, about a 15 minute walk or so.

"but once again I feel the entertainment on board is lacking and even the usual fun game is a dud, and we found it boring. "

Vickie, I am going to once again recommend that if you want great entertainment, stop into Crooners one night between 9:15 and midnight, where Arny G is singing and playing piano. He is a great friend of ours, but also is a wonderful entertainer. Every night is different. He does requests. He is just a delight and gives his all every night. Definitely not boring!

Judy

thanks Judy, he does have a big following but isn't really our thing plus we do come out of dinner around 9:30 and listen a bit before heading somewhere else but normally we like the comedians or game type things or a place to chat with friends.

Vickie and Jeannie,

I came home early from work today because of bad weather and this is the first chance I've had to read your live from thread. I am missing you all sooooo much! It seems like years since we've been on the ship and it's been less than a week.

You guys knew what you were doing by staying on for another cruise! (or two, or three) The weather here is terrible! 2 thirds of the US is going to have bad weather. I was sliding all over the road so I cut out of work early. We are supposed to get up to 15 inches of snow. (I'm sure Bernie has a formula to figure that out ; ) I'm glad you don't have to fly home anytime soon. I just heard that over 10,000 flights have been cancelled today.

I'd give anything to be on that ship right now. Everyone is probably up in Skywalkers right this moment with the drink of the day in their hand. Think of Bill and I the next time you have a drink or are laying in the sun! Tell everyone hi. Enjoy every minute!!!!

Cathy

who is Bill? :) -- that is from Bernie

But i am missing you both and the others -- we are having fun with our friends on board too though, just different

We didn't make it to the Island deck party last night, even though we enjoyed last week we were way too tired to stay up for it this time. Plus last time Tim came out and did some Hawaiin dance (I do believe we are in teh Caribbean) and half the crowd left.

Phoenix Rixing is very good and so is Icon (but they have been sick and had to cancel a few nights)

The Patter seems to have quite a few errors, last night the patter showed two different movies that were playing up there at the same time?

St.Kitts is nice we went for Indian Food that was recommended from the Purser's staff. Very very good Bernie also picked up some nice coffee flavoured rum.

We too would love to stay on for another sailing but we are okay with heading home, thankfully we are not getting snow.

We too would love to stay on for another sailing but we are okay with heading home, thankfully we are not getting snow.

Vancouver had beautiful weather Sunday, Monday and Tuesday. Today is overcast and chilly. Sure was a nice change to the constant rain we've had.

St. Kitts

We are pulling into St. Kitts, Celebrity Eclipse is already in port and we pull up beside her. Nice looking ship, some day I will try Celebrity.

We decide to head to the dining room for breakfast and sit with two lovely couples. Francesco sees us and asks where have we been for the past three nights. He insists that he will deliver lobster to our cabin for the formal night because we don’t do formal. We say no that is okay, we are doing the Crown Grill that night, he says he will have it for us the next night…. Oh he is precious.

It is warm out and there is a chance of those Caribbean showers and we are not in any rush to get off, but from the line up around the atrium it appears that a lot of people are eager to get off this ship for the day in St. Kitts.

We had a good laugh while sitting around the coffee bar our friend from the Purser’s desk shows up (names will be spared to protect him) and a passenger interrupts us and asks to speak to him. We see him pull our friend over to the side and his first few comments are “we are very seasoned cruisers but I am very concerned…..” and that is all we heard but Bernie could see that this gentleman was very concerned about something and even took a napkin out and drew a map but we weren’t sure what was going on, until our friend came back with a look of shock on his face. Apparently this gentleman is very upset and concerned about an earthquake happening in the Caribbean and a rouge wave hitting the ship and what would the Captain do. Our friend is holding back the laughs and is actually thinking maybe he was set up. Well we will have to keep playing that up.

We head ashore around 11:30 and walk all over the town and into some of the residential areas (and yes we felt safe the entire time). We decide to head to the recommend Indian restaurant “Star of India” and oh my god that was good. Pricy (but it seems that a lot of thing are pricy here. While we were eating the waitress brought us a sample of their local rum and we loved it and made sure to pick up a bottle of the Coffee Rum, for which we gladly handed over to the staff at the gangway to be delivered to our cabin on the last night.

We like it here, but we have been here numerous times and we thought about going to the beach but since the weather is not cooperating we just hang out at the port after lunch. It is very hot and humid and the light showers are a nice break, but then the humidity kicks in again.

I tried to nap but too many interruptions, first they delivered our canapés, then our room steward delivered our laundry – so much for the do not disturb.

Bernie decided to head to the Wheelhouse bar for trivia and found there was a large number wanting to play and there was also a small group that had a private party going on that was scheduled by Princess. I not sure why two events were planned for the same venue, considering that Club Fusion, Explorer’s and Adagio were all available. Mark was hosting the event and he said that since this was a port day there once again was no prizes and that this was coming down from corporate headquarters, funny since other ships do give prizes, and heck I do think that Princess can afford a cheap bag or hat as a prize. Bernie was not happy when he came back to the cabin and stated this private party group was upset that trivia was being hosted at the same time and would shout out the answers to each question, so he left after five questions. He also said he will never sail again with Tim Donnovan as the cruise director as we have never been so disappointed in the entertainment on board, thankfully the entertainment does not make or break a cruise but it certainly adds to experience.

Tonight’s drink is the mojito so we are up in Skywalkers for drinks at 6 and we run into Millie and Jim, then we are joined by Colin and Gwenda, then Trevor and Catherine then finally Paul and Yvonne. So nice to cruise with friends again and making new friends. The view of the sailaway from up there of the beautiful island of St. Kitts.

Dinner is in the dining room and it is Italian night and really enjoyed the chicken dish. After dinner we find there is nothing going on in regards to entertainment, but we are getting use to this. We head back to the cabin and we watch the movie “It’s Complicated”. Tomorrow is St. Thomas.

Archived