Best thing for seasickness for kids?

mom2two2

This will be DS and DD's first cruise (WOW!). They are 11 and 8. While I do not have any reason to suspect they may be prone to seasickness (no issues with cars, motion etc) I want to be prepared just in case. Can anyone recommend something besides kids Gravol (which will make them sleep for hours)? We are Canadian and I do not think we have Bonine here, which I see people talk about alot on the boards. We could however, get to a CVS before boarding if we had to.

Any suggestions?

we brought the candied ginger with us. DS did not have any problems with the motion, but he loved having the "candy" every day. I think some of it is all mental. some days he would come up to me and say ?mom I think my tummy might need some of that ginger" (this would happen even when we were not moving :)) I would give him a little piece and he instantly felt better. I even tried a little and I do think it helped me. (I do get motion sick and take meclizine no matter what)

Definatly talk to your dr!!

When I asked our pediatrician last year, he told us to stick with the dramamine that is made for children (unfortunately not the less-drowsy type). Luckily, the kids never needed it. The motion didn't bother them at all. I still took medicine a couple times.

Gravol is the same as Dramamine in the US. They're both brands of dimenhydrinate, an anti-cholinergic which is primarily used to treat motion sickness... That is actually your best bet. Children's Bonine is a brand of cyclizine, which causes more drowsiness than Dramamine/Gravol.

Ginger IS an effective alternative. I like to mention that Altoids makes a ginger candy.

1730.jpg

Also, candied ginger.. and people on the board have mentioned ginger capsules.

In the US, Sea Band makes a ginger gum.

200.JPG

Not sure of it's availability up in Canada.

Gravol/Dramamine has been proven to be safe and effective for children the age of two and up.

http://www.dramamine.com/chewable-formula

To prevent or treat motion sickness, see below:

• adults and children 12 years and over 1 to 2 chewable tablets every 4-6 hours; do not take more than 8 tablets in 24 hours, or as directed by a doctor
  • children 6 to under 12 years ½ to 1 chewable tablet every 6-8 hours; do not take more than 3 tablets in 24 hours, or as directed by a doctor
  • children 2 to under 6 years ½ chewable tablet every 6-8 hours; do not take more than 1-½ tablets in 24 hours, or as directed by a doctor

so... just look at the ingredients.

Cyclizine = Bonine for Kids = extremely sleepy

Dimenhydrinate = Gravol/Dramamine = sleepy

but if someone is seasick, sleepy is better than vomiting.

mom2two2: We are also Canadian and just got back from the Allure this Sunday. My Ds who is 20 months old threw up on the first night and on the second night also (while at the nursery, :() and he didn't have any apetite. I had brought some Children's Gravol with me since I have also a 4 and 7 year old. The Gravol is for kids aged 2 and up and I wasn't sure I could give it to him and if so, how much. So I went to the ship's medical facility. The nurse told me they didn't carry any meds for kids, only for adults. If I wanted advice, I had to come back to see the doctor and they would charge me for a visit. So because he's almost 2 and weighs 26 lbs, I gave him one and he was fine, just a little more sleepy. I gave him one at night at dinner time and one in the morning and he was just fine after that.

You could buy some Gravol the week before you go and try giving it to him and see how he reacts. But of course, you should speak to your pediatrician first.

Thank you for the suggestions. I really do not expect any issues but would like to be prepared. I AM going to purchase candied ginger and if something comes up we will try that before the kids gravol.

Thank you again.

Here is one suggestion for the dose of Gravol/Dramamine which reflects the actual dosage strength.

http://www.drugs.com/mtm/dimenhydrinate.html

Usual Pediatric Dose for Motion Sickness:

Greater than or equal to 2 to less than 6 years: 12.5 to 25 mg orally every 6 to 8 hours, to a maximum of 75 mg in 24 hours.

Greater than or equal to 6 to less than 12 years: 25 to 50 mg orally every 6 to 8 hours, to a maximum of 150 mg in 24 hours.

Greater than 12 years: 25 to 100 mg orally 30 to 60 minutes before starting activity, then 25 to 100 mg every 4 to 6 hours, to maximum of 400 mg in 24 hours.

The first dose should be taken 30 to 60 minutes before starting activity.

Archived