Input on upgrade obstructed to ocean view Eurodam

tcook052

A quick poll of what folks think about the HAL offer to upgrade from cat. H obstructed midship for $100 to ocean view cat. C on Main Deck of Eurodam for a sailing in 2+ weeks.

From my searches it seems under a public deck it can be noisier but is it something that could potentially keep me awake at night? Is there any extra noise from being a short few cabins away from Future Cruise Desk and Shore Ex. desk? The cabins are roughly the same size so there's nothing to give up there. I don't really mind the lower deck level and will probably use it as an excuse to run the stairs and get a few more calories burned. But are there other considerations I'm perhaps missing?

I'd appreciate a little input from the experts on the matter. :)

It depends on your cruising style. We have learned that we like the R and S class ships best, and we prefer inside K cabins on the Main Deck.

I don't care for upgrades too much, we were once upgraded to a closet with a porthole. Inside cabins make sense for us because of heart medications that don't allow me to go out in the sun. We can cruise twice for what a balcony would cost us for one. And we like to spend six weeks or more cruising each year.

There aren't any right or wrong answers. It is a matter of getting a good fit for you. HAL seems to offer something for just about everyone. No matter where you go, the crew always seems to knock themselves out trying to make sure we have a good time.

It depends on your cruising style. We have learned that we like the R and S class ships best, and we prefer inside K cabins on the Main Deck.

I don't care for upgrades too much, we were once upgraded to a closet with a porthole. Inside cabins make sense for us because of heart medications that don't allow me to go out in the sun. We can cruise twice for what a balcony would cost us for one. And we like to spend six weeks or more cruising each year.

There aren't any right or wrong answers. It is a matter of getting a good fit for you. HAL seems to offer something for just about everyone. No matter where you go, the crew always seems to knock themselves out trying to make sure we have a good time.

Was noise an issue in your Main Deck inside cabins?

I would keep the H and the $100.

You would be moving from a floor-to-ceiling, nearly wall-to-wall window to one that is just 2.5 ft by 3.5 ft. Also you would be moving to a high foot-traffic area.

And some of the H "fully obstructed" views aren't. Here's the view from Eurodam H4130, which we liked very much for location. (No noise)

2620221910099632937S425x425Q85.jpg

and

2161637100099632937S425x425Q85.jpg

What H cabin do you have? If you are next to one of the tenders it could truly be fully obstructed.

H4116 and I chose it after seeing the pictures here on CC. ;)
I was just going to suggest that you look at IRL_Joanies' pics! After seeing that cabin's pics I would definitely stick with it, and keep the $100. It looks like your view will be mainly through the tender's windows.

You are above the galley, which could be a source of some noise, but I don't think it would be as bad as being below the galley. (They have some heavy carts.) :)

If the outside cabin on Main Deck is near the atrium, it could be a good move. Is it on port side, or starboard? On starboard, there really isn't anything above you that's noisy at night. If there's anything going on in the Queens Lounge, it's over by 11:30.

On port side, the Northern Lights disco may be above, and could send sound down. I was under the disco on one cruise and did not have a noise problem, but ymmv. Otherwise, I have had inside cabins on Main Deck, starboard, near the atrium several times on different ships, and love it there.

H4116 and I chose it after seeing the pictures here on CC. ;)

Like jtl513 suggests, I'd stick to H 4116.

Photos of it:

sm-H-4116_wdanthony-2.jpg--sm-H-4116_wdanthony-4.jpg--sm-H-4116_wdanthony-3.jpg

Looking at the deck plans H 4116 is over a room (storage or crew?? not really sure) and above it is another stateroom, so you'd be more likely to get restful sleep:) http://abqreunion2008.com/Eurodam/Eurodam-Compare-Stateroom-Decks.jpg

Joanie

Looking at the deck plans H 4116 is over a room (storage or crew?? not really sure) and above it is another stateroom, so you'd be more likely to get restful sleep:) http://abqreunion2008.com/Eurodam/Eurodam-Compare-Stateroom-Decks.jpg

Joanie

Thanks Joanie! Your picture was one of the reasons I chose this cabin when I changed from an inside to obstructed when the latter went on sale for noticeably less than the former.

And thanks RuthC! When I called HAL one cabin that was open was C1079 (starboard) which is only one cabin off the elevators and near the future cruise & shore ex. desks so I would think a busier area.

I think I will stick with what I have but appreciate all the input. :)

And thanks RuthC! When I called HAL one cabin that was open was C1079 (starboard) which is only one cabin off the elevators and near the future cruise & shore ex. desks so I would think a busier area.

For future consideration---being near the Future Cruise and the Shore Excursion Desks doesn't make that cabin area busy at all. There is a wall, then the elevator area totally separating the cabin passageway from the more public use area.

What can make it busy is having people pass as they head to the show lounge to pick up tour tickets. But you'd likely be up then, too.

Archived