Shopping question

mjwcruising

While on my cruisetour I am interested in buying a sterling silver omega chain.

I have never been to any of these places. Venice, Florence, Rome, Naples (Amalfi Coast), Santorini, Mykonos, Athens, Istanbul, Ephesus.

Which one would be the best place to buy this type of jewelry?

Also, if anyone knows of a particular store that has a good reputation; would you please share the name and location of the store?

If you are looking for something as universally available as an omega chain, I'd suggest buying it elsewhere -- prices in Europe are not cheap and you probably won't find any bargains. Unless you've got your heart set on the omega, why not look for something that would reflect your trip and that wouldn't be available somewhere else?

European jewelers are rightly famous for their skills. I have seen lovely Byzantine cross necklaces, dolphins etc (pendants or pins) in Mykonos. In Istanbul you might find some lovely filigree-work bracelets or necklace/pendants in silver. Florence is more known for its gold, and at any rate I think jewelry in Italy is more expensive than in Greece or Turkey.

If you are looking for something as universally available as an omega chain, I'd suggest buying it elsewhere -- prices in Europe are not cheap and you probably won't find any bargains. Unless you've got your heart set on the omega, why not look for something that would reflect your trip and that wouldn't be available somewhere else?

European jewelers are rightly famous for their skills. I have seen lovely Byzantine cross necklaces, dolphins etc (pendants or pins) in Mykonos. In Istanbul you might find some lovely filigree-work bracelets or necklace/pendants in silver. Florence is more known for its gold, and at any rate I think jewelry in Italy is more expensive than in Greece or Turkey.

I think I'll go with your suggestion of getting the Omega necklace here at home and buy something special over there. Sterling Silver filigree works sounds like something I would enjoy. :)

I must admit that I have not seen Omega chains in Europe before.

I think you should maybe follow Cruisemoms suggestions. On my second to last cruise I bought a Murano glass necklace in Venice. I get comments on it every time I wear it. Istanbul is particularly good for shopping. The Bazar is a bit touristy, the locals shop on the streets leading from the Bazar down to the spice market.

I must admit that I have not seen Omega chains in Europe before.

I think you should maybe follow Cruisemoms suggestions. On my second to last cruise I bought a Murano glass necklace in Venice. I get comments on it every time I wear it. Istanbul is particularly good for shopping. The Bazar is a bit touristy, the locals shop on the streets leading from the Bazar down to the spice market.

A piece of Murano glass jewelry is definitely on my to buy list :D

Archived