alamo vs thrifty FLL

NoWhiners

Sorry to post yet another thread on car rentals but my questions are pretty specific: are both of these companies located at rental car center? Do they offer shuttle to Port Everglades? Anyone have any experiences (good or bad) with either?

We will be picking up a car at MCO, spending a week in Orlando pre-cruise, then driving to FLL the night before our cruise in April. Have been having a tough time getting a decent price so i think I will book a cancellable (not a word, I know!) reservation now, then try bidding/hotwire to do better. Right now, these are the best 2 choices i have.

thanks for any help

ML

Sorry to post yet another thread on car rentals but my questions are pretty specific: are both of these companies located at rental car center? Do they offer shuttle to Port Everglades? Anyone have any experiences (good or bad) with either?

We will be picking up a car at MCO, spending a week in Orlando pre-cruise, then driving to FLL the night before our cruise in April. Have been having a tough time getting a decent price so i think I will book a cancellable (not a word, I know!) reservation now, then try bidding/hotwire to do better. Right now, these are the best 2 choices i have.

thanks for any help

ML

Hi,

Returned recently from cruising out of Port Everglades. We used Alamo. Disembarked by 8AM Alamo had bus waiting to take to car rental - airport and we were on the road by 8:36AM Have never had any complaints with them. Have used them numerous times in Florida for cruising and other needs. Enjoy your vacation.

Chris:p

Try using this Alamo code in the ID/Corp ID box at alamo.com if you rental will be by 2/16/11.

SUNPROMO

Hi MusicCity

yes, i saw great rates between now and 2/16, unfortunately we will be there April 10 :-(!! thanks for the response tho'.

ML

Hi,

Returned recently from cruising out of Port Everglades. We used Alamo. Disembarked by 8AM Alamo had bus waiting to take to car rental - airport and we were on the road by 8:36AM Have never had any complaints with them. Have used them numerous times in Florida for cruising and other needs. Enjoy your vacation.

Chris:p

Chris

Thanks for this info--helps a lot. Sounds like we could drop the car off at airport, then they would take us to the port? We will be embarking, not disembarking, but it seems if they go to the port, they could drop off and pickup?

ML

When we were in FLL this past November, you had to rent from Alamo or National to get the free shuttle to port and from port back to car rental . Other companies had dropped out of this program ( quit paying their share ). Had to show resv. to get on shuttle.

I have dropped off car at FLL and there is a free shuttle to port right outside the door just not sure what floor. Will be doing this again in Feb. so I can post again.

Jeanine

Was this thru Alamo? is your February res with them? i would love to hear how it goes!

Thanks

ML

When we were in FLL this past November, you had to rent from Alamo or National to get the free shuttle to port and from port back to car rental . Other companies had dropped out of this program ( quit paying their share ). Had to show resv. to get on shuttle.

Thanks for this response--looks like i will go with Alamo!!

ML

Jeanine

Was this thru Alamo? is your February res with them? i would love to hear how it goes!

Thanks

ML

The Feb. rental is through Avis and pickup location is the port and drop off is airport as we are staying a few days post cruise so I assume Avis has a shuttle at cruise port as no rental cars are at port. I will call to verify though.

The shuttle that I used in 2009 at airport after dropping off rental was to cruise port also was for passengers who just deplaned.

FYI-In 2010 I had booked a rental post cruise out of Miami port through Alamo and no shuttle came to pick us up at designated stop- we waited 20 mins after calling local number twice and being told shuttle would be there in 10 minutes we waiting again 20 mins. At that point no one would answer the phone at local rental number. After several calls- and another 20 mins, I called the 800 number and they said no one was answering also and there was nothing they could do. The whole terminal got deserted. We called Avis which has a office about 1 mile from POM got the last rental available and took a cab to pick up car.

I wrote a letter to customer service of Alamo and never got a response. I will never rent from Alamo- That experience was all it took.

Good luck everyone.

We have an Alamo reservation for April 15. I called them and they said they have a shuttle on the days the ships are in and it is every 20-25 mins.

Thanks for passing this on. I will also call, if we stick with Alamo!

The Feb. rental is through Avis and pickup location is the port and drop off is airport as we are staying a few days post cruise so I assume Avis has a shuttle at cruise port as no rental cars are at port. I will call to verify though.

The shuttle that I used in 2009 at airport after dropping off rental was to cruise port also was for passengers who just deplaned.

FYI-In 2010 I had booked a rental post cruise out of Miami port through Alamo and no shuttle came to pick us up at designated stop- we waited 20 mins after calling local number twice and being told shuttle would be there in 10 minutes we waiting again 20 mins. At that point no one would answer the phone at local rental number. After several calls- and another 20 mins, I called the 800 number and they said no one was answering also and there was nothing they could do. The whole terminal got deserted. We called Avis which has a office about 1 mile from POM got the last rental available and took a cab to pick up car.

I wrote a letter to customer service of Alamo and never got a response. I will never rent from Alamo- That experience was all it took.

Good luck everyone.

Hmm, sorry for the bad experience. We will be returning our car at noon, the will hop their shuttle to port. i can't believe they can tell the difference between people who returned cars and people getting off planes, or that it would matter. if they are going to the port, it doesn't cost them anything more to take all of us!! (I hope).

I have had bad experiences with all rental car agencies, even when i do it for business. They all stink at various times, but what choice do we have?

ML

• 1 month later...

Archived