First cruise for 7 year old grandson

McDebbie

We have been on 13 cruises but this will be our first with grandboy. I've been reading Family Cruising in case I forget something that a parent would know/remember but I still feel unready. Some questions -

1. Does your child wear his SS card on a lanyard? Keep it in a pocket? I was thinking he did not even need to have it but understand that Camp Carnival requires them to have their card with a sticker on it.

2. Do you take your boy to formal dinner or let them go to Camp? Grandboy is good sitting for 2 hour dinners and I understand the wait staff fusses over them but would they rather be at camp?

3. Do you write your childs room number on his/her wrist band? Or teach them the room number some way such as by song? DH seems to think the boy will never be out of our sight unless in camp but 'just in case'?

4. What other just in case things do I need to think about? Getting lost on excursions? I don't see him being out of reach on those but what do I need to do again, 'just in case'? A card or something in his pocket with my cell number?

5. This one might be stupid :) but I told his mother he needs two bathing suits, if we go to waterworks in the morning and then change for lunch and camp and then want to go to the slide in the afternoon, will YOUR child put back on a damp suit?

This is probably obvious stuff to you all but I haven't parented a 7 year old in 25 years! :D What else should I think about? Got the DSI, DVD's, hat, sunscreen, walking shoes, formal wear, ginger candy, daily log for school requirement.... what am I forgetting?

2 bathing suits is a good idea...it's hell putting on a wet suit! It's nice to have a dry one!

I don't think a 7 year old will need a "song" to remember a room #...just tell him...he'll remember!

Let your grandson decide if he wants to attend the formal dinner...if he does, then that's great...he'll enjoy the "formality" and behave. If he doesn't want to...don't force it...the kid's club is a great alternative.

A lanyard is great, if he's going to be roaming the ship alone...but at 7, I wouldn't allow my child to roam around! I;d hold onto his card (he/you will need it to get on and off the ship) as if he's not alone, he won't need it. He won't be buying anything without you there...he won't be coming and going to the room without you there...

It almosts sounds like you aren't quite ready to take on such a responsibility....have you had your grandson alone at home for any period of time? Perhaps you should try that, before being on a ship for a week!

We have cruised with ours kids at that age several times. Their favorite cruise is the one they cruised with grandma and grandpa!

As for your questions...

My DD now 8 is able to remember our cabin number but isn't able to find the cabin very often as she can never figure out which hallway to go down:)

I keep both kids cards most of the time. DS now 10 takes his sometimes as he is allowed to go get ice cream or snacks on his own.

We usually take a 2or3 swim suits as they can double as shorts for DS.

Both kids love formal night. The like to get all dressed up and it really is fun in the MDR. We always do one night all together and let them choose for the other nights.

As for getting lost etc, I made up a little card for each of them to put in their bag/ purse with our ship name and our contact info including a contact number back at home. Seemed like a good idea. I carry a small photo os each in my wallet in case they got lost. Easier to show who I am looking for if I am somewhere they don't speak English.

I am sure it will be just fine. My kids love being on the ship and there is so much to do. Especially on sea days, my kids love the crazy cruise activities - mini golf, dancing, etc.

Have fun!!!!:cool:

Hi McDebbie,

We taught our son to ask a person in uniform to help him if he got lost. He did just that when we got separated on our last cruise. As I was at the front desk filling out a missing child report, one of the (uniformed) waitresses from the buffet came down holding his hand.

Be aware that Camp Carnival is open for specific times and can be located at different places around the ship (such as nightclubs etc during the day). You will get a schedule from the central Camp. Both you and your husband need to specifically be on the pick up and drop off list for your grandson, otherwise they will not let you do so.

You will have a blast! Cruising is great for kids, they enjoy the camps and have a really fun time with their family as well.

Insurance card! :eek: See, this is what I am talking about, would have never thought of that.

Good point that I keep his card since we have to sign him in and out at camp anyway. Photo of him, good idea also. Just to be safe I think I will print up a card with info also to put in his pocket. And the part about not remembering which hall to go down... hey we have a hard time with that, guess he would too. :)

Thanks for all the tips, keep them coming.

DS1 is almost 6, we taught him that if he ever became separated from us on ship he could trust uniformed staff just like he would a police officer, paramedic or fireman at home. With all the "don't talk to strangers" stuff going on in our society now, I felt it was a way of making the crew accessible to him in the event of an emergency. We also taught him our room number, how to get there, and what deck to go to for an emergency, as well as our meeting place. We even rehearsed that part a few times, so it wouldn't be scary in a real emergency.

For the cruise cards, I kept DS1's all the time, but we were on NCL. I had brought a small wallet for him to wear in his pocket, which would have worked too. Remember to disable the internet and charging abilities of the card.

I also agree to ask him about dinner. DS1 chose to go to kids club, DS2 (3yrs) came to the dining room with us and had a great time.

As for the health stuff, insurance card, immunization record (including the flu shot for this year), identification (with photocopies...for the record I use passports) and a basic kids first aid kit would be important to me.

I'll third the two bathing suits!

Enjoy your trip!

Our son is 7 and he could find our room better than I could so as long as he knows the number your grandson should be fine with that. At his age he has to e signed in and out of kids club so I would keep his card with you. Less chance of being lost somewhere. My DS loved the MDR but he only came to the elegant nights, the rest of the time he wanted to be at the kid club activities.

Definitely agree on the two swimsuits!

1. Does your child wear his SS card on a lanyard? Keep it in a pocket? I was thinking he did not even need to have it but understand that Camp Carnival requires them to have their card with a sticker on it.

Mine likes to have a lanyard. She races ahead to open the door all the time.

2. Do you take your boy to formal dinner or let them go to Camp? Grandboy is good sitting for 2 hour dinners and I understand the wait staff fusses over them but would they rather be at camp?

Like everyone said, you can let him decide.

3. Do you write your childs room number on his/her wrist band? Or teach them the room number some way such as by song? DH seems to think the boy will never be out of our sight unless in camp but 'just in case'?

I think the room number is on the S&S card.

5. This one might be stupid :) but I told his mother he needs two bathing suits, if we go to waterworks in the morning and then change for lunch and camp and then want to go to the slide in the afternoon, will YOUR child put back on a damp suit?

We usually bring more then two. Again, my child is a fish, so she is in and out of the water all the time.

It almosts sounds like you aren't quite ready to take on such a responsibility....have you had your grandson alone at home for any period of time? Perhaps you should try that, before being on a ship for a week!

Why judge this person. She asked good questions and just wanted advise?

Why judge this person. She asked good questions and just wanted advise?
awww, thanks! I just ignored that but could see why they would think that way. We live 4 states away from grandboy and daughter and some of these things would probably have come in handy on land, I never thought to have his insurance card when bringing him home with us. You know, if worse comes to worse I can always turn on the phone and call his mom or dad but I wanted to be prepared. Thanks again for all the tips.

We have been on 13 cruises but this will be our first with grandboy. I've been reading Family Cruising in case I forget something that a parent would know/remember but I still feel unready. Some questions -

1. Does your child wear his SS card on a lanyard? Keep it in a pocket? I was thinking he did not even need to have it but understand that Camp Carnival requires them to have their card with a sticker on it. My 6.5 and 4.5 year olds didn't ever have their cards. I always held onto them. I can see where the lanyard would be fun for them. Mine tend to lay things down and forget though, which is why they stayed in the safe or with me.

2. Do you take your boy to formal dinner or let them go to Camp? Grandboy is good sitting for 2 hour dinners and I understand the wait staff fusses over them but would they rather be at camp? Ours tried dinner with us twice and didn't like it. They wanted to go to camp every other night. Besides the first night when they had to eat with us, we tried it again on cruise elegant night. They were done with their dinners before our appetizers even arrived. They begged to go to camp then so husband took them up and then came back to enjoy dinner with me. :)

3. Do you write your childs room number on his/her wrist band? Or teach them the room number some way such as by song? DH seems to think the boy will never be out of our sight unless in camp but 'just in case'? I didn't because they were always either with us or at camp. Our room was just steps down from camp though so it was easy for them to know where our room was.

4. What other just in case things do I need to think about? Getting lost on excursions? I don't see him being out of reach on those but what do I need to do again, 'just in case'? A card or something in his pocket with my cell number?

5. This one might be stupid :) but I told his mother he needs two bathing suits, if we go to waterworks in the morning and then change for lunch and camp and then want to go to the slide in the afternoon, will YOUR child put back on a damp suit? I brought 3 suits. My kids hate to get into wet suits and chances are they will get a suit wet in the morning or at port and then want to put one on again in the afternoon.

This is probably obvious stuff to you all but I haven't parented a 7 year old in 25 years! :D What else should I think about? Got the DSI, DVD's, hat, sunscreen, walking shoes, formal wear, ginger candy, daily log for school requirement.... what am I forgetting?

water shoes - some water areas can be rocky and waterslide steps are HOT

sweatshirt for camp - it can be chilly

bug spray - I got eaten alive in one port!

nightlight for middle of the night restroom breaks

Have fun!!! :)

Archived