Cruising WITH or WITHOUT Kids?

TXRoo

Cruise WITH or WITHOUT Children?  

107 members have voted

1. 1. Cruise WITH or WITHOUT Children?

• I cruise mostly WITH children...
    • I cruise mostly WITHOUT children...
    • Other...

The first time I left my kids for a whole week was June 2002. My husband had a business trip to San Diego and all I had to pay was my own airfare. I couldn't turn down a practically free California vacation so I left my kids (then 9 & 6) with my sister and off we went. I worried at first, then a couple of days into the vacation, my husband and I looked at each other and said "this is GREAT we must do this more often". So we decided to take a cruise for our 15th anniversary last year without the kids. The kids were happy because it meant Aunt Joni was with them again & my sister was happy because she got to hang with my kids and have an all expenses paid trip to Florida. It's not like we don't take the kids places, we had Disney World passes for 2 years and spent at least one weekend a month and each spring break there while we had the passes (the kids didn't want to go anywhere else). This time we are taking the kids on the cruise. I know they will have a ball (except for that formal night, they are dreading dressing up).

Well, being Military, it's hard to just drop off the kids with Grandma or Grandpa (either set) ~ we live so far away from everyone who is trustworthy enough to watch our kids. That being said, we're currently on the first cruise with our kids. They spend most of the time at Camp Carnival and, when we come get them, they cry and ask every few minutes when they can go back. I think it will be harder for us when we get HOME since they seem to spoil them so much there. :)

I like both. :)

I think what's important to realize is that it won't hurt your children if you leave them to go on a vacation for just the two of you. Long after they grow up and leave, there will just be the two of you. You need to stay connected through all the growing up years or you won't have that relationship when they're gone. I see so much guilt because mom and dad both work. I'm happy I was able to stay home with my boys even though it meant lots of sacrifices, but, they were ours to raise no matter what, and when it came down to it, our marriage needed maintaining and we're doing great with them both at school. We miss them, but we're proud we did our job and raised two adults who are ready to be on their own. We always did vacations like the beach when they were younger and put off cruising til we could do it alone. If you have no one to watch your kids, go where families and kids have lots to do. I live in the DC area, and it's a great family vacation spot as is WDW, New York city, etc. I've just always though of a cruise as an adult vacation, drinking, excursions, gambling, sleeping in, etc. Things you really can't do with children along, especially young ones. I love people who go on a "family" vacation and then dump their kids all day and/or all night in the children's programs. What is family about that?

[quote name='djklove']I am cruising WITH kids...2 y/o and 4 y/o. The only relative I would consider leaving them with is cruising with us and regardless, I think this is something they will really enjoy and WANT to take them. They are boys. All the airplanes, big ships, kids club, tender boats, stingrays, fish, sand and water will be like heaven for them. I think that even if I could leave them behind I probably wouldn't. The best part of having kids for me is watching them experience new things and I think that is going to be half the fun of this vacation.;) :) Between Grandma and Grandpa and the kids club we can still get grown up time AND enjoy our time together as a family. And THAT, my friends, is why I think cruising will be the perfect family vacation, LOL!!!:D

Can ya tell we are getting close? I am just a tad excited:rolleyes: :D[/QUOTE]

With...
We just got back from Glory Cruise, took our son who is 2 he had a great time. I totally agree I would never leave my son at home, Its the best feeling to see excitment and happiness in their eyes and to know you put it there. Only thing I would have done different is gotten early seating my son was falling asleep in my arms at dinner. They have a great playcenter for kids, but my son only lasted 10 minutes in there...I'm home with him all the time and he got scared. I saw some families with like 5-6 kids...must have been really expensive for them considering I had to pay same adult fare for my 2 year old. What ever happened to the extra person in the cabin for $399? I paid triple that for my son to go...

My wife and I have left the kids (15 and 7) home for our 2 curises so far. But after the last one on Carnival we decided to take them on one in the Spring of 2006. I figure we might as well get them hooked on cruising at a young age.

I was amazed on the Triumph when they had the show featuring the kids. I didnt realize there were that many on board. No inappropriate behavior during the whole week. Some posts I had read scared me, but we didn't see it.

Our now eleven year old daughter has been on all 6 cruises with us. She was 5 when we took our first one. She loves it as much as we do and we would not think of leaving her home. We cruise as a family and will continue to.

[quote name='livtojump']Granny Halos....hmmmm...that just doesn't sing:p[/QUOTE]

Yeah...you're da**ed right it doesn't!!! ;) I'm too young for that title!!
Although, my oldest will be 20 her next birthday...so every guy she has the slightest interest in has to pass my 'test' because I think of all of them as potential fathers of my potential grandchildren.......so far only one or two have met my entire criteria...not that it matters. She tends to get bored of them after a few months and dumps them. She chews them up and spits them out. The poor guys never know what hit them. :rolleyes:
BTW Liv...this is page three and it's still civil........... :D must be because we are out of the full moon and not in it!

[quote name='halos']Yeah...you're da**ed right it doesn't!!! ;) I'm too young for that title!!

Although, my oldest will be 20 her next birthday...so every guy she has the slightest interest in has to pass my 'test' because [color=red][b][i]I think of all of them as potential fathers of my potential grandchildren.......[/i][/b][/color]so far only one or two have met my entire criteria...not that it matters.

BTW Liv...this is page three and it's still civil........... :D must be because we are out of the full moon and not in it!

[/QUOTE]

:D

I know what you mean about the "test" LOL but that comment just makes me cringe. Thinking about my daughters (someday) becoming parents ranks right up there with the "your parents are having s*x" thought......EWWWWWW.

Hmmmm...I'm sure there was a full moon last night:D Well just have to see what the day brings;)

[quote name='livtojump']

I know what you mean about the "test" LOL but that comment just makes me cringe. Thinking about my daughters (someday) becoming parents ranks right up there with the "your parents are having s*x" thought......EWWWWWW.[/QUOTE]

Dads and Moms think WAY differently on this subject. My DH gives me the hairy eyebrow if I even mention potential grandchildren....it's definitely a gender thing ;) I look forward to having a son-in-law because I don't have any boys. My husband on the other hand...well, I've said before that I thought you remind me of him, so you know what his idea about a son-in-law is :eek:

[quote name='livtojump']Hmmmm...I'm sure there was a full moon last night. Well just have to see what the day brings;)[/QUOTE]

Nope...full moon was Thursday. Whatever you experienced that made you think it was full last night must have been lunar residue ;)

[quote name='halos']Dads and Moms think WAY differently on this subject. My DH gives me the hairy eyebrow if I even mention potential grandchildren....it's definitely a gender thing ;) I look forward to having a son-in-law because I don't have any boys. My husband on the other hand...well, I've said before that I thought you remind me of him, so [color=red][b]you know what his idea about a son-in-law is[/b][/color] :eek:

Nope...full moon was Thursday. Whatever you experienced that made you think it was full last night must have been lunar residue ;)[/QUOTE]

Yes I know you (Mothers) do. My eldest asked me once if she could have her "boyfriend" come out for a week while she was visiting. After I finished laughing and said "not in this lifetime", the ex gave me "the" look as if I was being unreasonable. Which is yet another reason "I" will not take them on a cruise.

I think I do and whenever I think about that, I start thinking of new ways to inflict pain...

Lunar residue huh.....maybe it was the beers? :D

Anyway, I had to copy this from BND "If you have no one to watch your kids, go where families and kids have lots to do. I live in the DC area, and it's a great family vacation spot as is WDW, New York city, etc. I've just always though of a cruise as an adult vacation, drinking, excursions, gambling, sleeping in, etc. Things you really can't do with children along, especially young ones. I love people who go on a "family" vacation and then dump their kids all day and/or all night in the children's programs. What is family about that?"

I was also a stay at home mom (went back to teaching and grad school last year), so after spending over 10 years with my kids 24/7, I don't feel the least bit guilty about saying that I "dumped" my kids at the children's programs day and night, and they're glad I did - although, in reality, my kids dumped me and ran to the kids programs because they're so much fun. I have to insist that they eat dinner with us, they have so much fun with their new friends. I also have to drag them away at night so I can go to sleep! In fact, after our first cruise my kids cried when we had to debark and begged to stay on another week...

People who've never taken kids on a cruise don't understand what a great kids vacation it is, kids programs, kids menus, kids robes (on Celebrity and Disney), kids pools, kids parties, kids disco, kids tournaments, ball pits, video game rooms, movies, ice cream, slides, ping-pong, basketball......Are you kidding me? Cruises are HEAVEN for kids. Like I said, my kids are given the choice of cruise/Disney/resort every year for their vacation and they almost always choose a cruise. When a cruise beats Disney, you know kids love it!

And NYC and Washington? We have taken the kids (we live right outside of Manhattan), but they don't like it much, we really have to drag them there until they whine that they're bored...I guess my children aren't the prodigies who find the Met, Smithsonian or Air and Space fascinating for more than a couple of hours...let's see kids, DC or a cruise? I think I know what they'd choose;) !

Bottom line, cruises are great vacations for kids, they love them. Just ask any child who's ever been on one.

[quote name='Girlsnightout']Bottom line, cruises are great vacations for kids, they love them. Just ask any child who's ever been on one.[/QUOTE]

I'm sure they would say that. :rolleyes:

[quote name='Girlsnightout']
People who've never taken kids on a cruise don't understand what a great kids vacation it is, kids programs, kids menus, kids robes (on Celebrity and Disney), kids pools, kids parties, kids disco, kids tournaments, ball pits, video game rooms, movies, ice cream......Are you kidding me? Cruises are HEAVEN for kids. Like I said, my kids are given the choice of cruise/Disney/resort every year for their vacation and they almost always choose a cruise. When a cruise beats Disney, you know kids love it!

And NYC and Washington? We have taken the kids (we live right outside of Manhattan), but they don't like it much, we really have to drag them there until they whine that they're bored...I guess my children aren't the prodigies who find the Met, Smithsonian or Air and Space fascinating for more than a couple of hours...let's see kids, DC or a cruise? I think I know what they'd choose;) !

Bottom line, cruises are great vacations for kids, they love them. Just ask any child who's ever been on one.[/QUOTE]

GNO...I have to say that your kids have excellent taste. :D
I took mine to DC when they were little...the younger one remembers only walking so much that she cried all night because her feet hurt...doesn't remember much of anything else.
If I had taken my kids cruising when they were little, I wouldn't have felt guilty leaving them in the kids program for a couple hours each day either...but when my kids were little cruising wasn't a family vacation. Infortunately, my timing is WAY off. Now that I can vacation with my DH and not worry about kids, cruise ships are full of them. (sigh) timing is everything.
Unfortunately, to get away from this, I may have to sail with seniors.
What is an 'in between' person to do???? ;)

[quote name='halos'] Infortunately, my timing is WAY off. Now that I can vacation with my DH and not worry about kids, cruise ships are full of them. (sigh) timing is everything.
Unfortunately, to get away from this, I may have to sail with seniors.
What is an 'in between' person to do???? ;)[/QUOTE]

You mean you can't take advantage of those off-price, January cruises? Being a teacher and having school aged children forces me to sail the high priced, crowded school vacation weeks. I always looked longingly at the discounted cruises I couldn't take advantage of.....do you mean that there are lots of kids sailing in Jan, Sept. and October?

You just burst my bubble.

On the bright side, when you do become a grandparent, you can take your grandchildren on cruises. My mom always cruises with us, it's also her favorite vacation with her 4 grandsons...:D

Our first cruise was when my youngest was about 10 and my two older children were in college. We could only take the 10 year old with us. We had a great time and so did he. Our second curise was with my 14 year old and my daughter was 23 - had a great time. In December we went with my two sons, daughter and daughter in law. Again we had a great time so 15, 24, 26 and 26 were the ages. We never thought about cruising with them when they were younger, not because we wouldn't take them, we just didn't think about cruising. We went on many land vacations with them and had a good time. Of course there were times they would drive us crazy but I think personally I could never leave them for that long. When our youngest is in college my husband and I do intend to cruise with just the two of us, especially because we can go when the rates are lower instead of when the kids are out of school:D

[quote name='Girlsnightout']You mean you can't take advantage of those off-price, January cruises? Being a teacher and having school aged children forces me to sail the high priced, crowded school vacation weeks. I always looked longingly at the discounted cruises I couldn't take advantage of.....do you mean that there are lots of kids sailing in Jan, Sept. and October?

You just burst my bubble.
[/QUOTE]

That's what we plan to try for the next cruise...off season. I'm looking forward to it. Plus, it will be a long cruise so there should be less kids, although I'm sure there will still be a few...which is fine. My last cruise was a June cruise and the CD said there were 900 kids on board. That's WAY too many.

[quote name='Girlsnightout']On the bright side, when you do become a grandparent, you can take your grandchildren on cruises. My mom always cruises with us, it's also her favorite vacation with her 4 grandsons...:D[/QUOTE]

LOL!!! Nope...won't be doing that!!! Not until they are OLD grandchildren. I'll gladly babysit grandchildren so my kids can go away alone with their spouses...but if I'm cruising, I don't want babies with me, no thank you :eek:

they're 5 and almost 2. I figure that as much as I love my kids, and I am a "fair parent" with my kids, I still get perks for being an adult. which is why, provided we get as hooked on cruising as I know we are, we will treat ourselves to an "adult only" get away every few years. we will still take our kids on fun weekends and, when they're BOTH old enough, to some family vacations (cruises, a trip to Disney, what have you). As "progressive" as a parent as I like to be, I'm still "old school" enough to believe that (provided we have someone we trust with our LIVES to provide a caring place for the kids to stay and get the attention and love they need) kids don't have the god-given right to go absolutely EVERYWHERE DH and/or I choose to. I don't personally believe in spending the $ on a huge vacation for kids that won't appreciate it, remember it or even realize the privilege in being included in such an excursion. long weekends camping, to the area theme parks and zoos will have to do for them for a while.

plus, I think I owe it to myself, my DH and our marriage to take time for US every "now and then" (meaning, the last time we went away was on our honeymoon 7+ years ago) and as a result, we will be BETTER parents when we come back, relaxed and refreshed, and just BETTER at our jobs as "mom" and "dad".

Just my $0.02.

I voted "other" because my husband and I cruise with and without our kids.
We're bookd on the Valor and we are taking our kids.
We are also booked on the Sapphire Princess for an Alaska inside passage cruise, and my husband and I are going alone for "quality time",
Grandma will have "quality time" with her grandkids! ;)

I agree with MamaParrottHead. Don't ever let people make you feel bad about not taking your kids on a cruise. We did not cruise with our kids until they were teenagers, old enough to go off by themselves. They really enjoyed it too. I really agree that a Husband & wife needs to get away by themselves to help keep the marriage going. Our children are grown Son married w/2kids daughter in college. We always made time for each other as a couple and now we are having the time of our lives just like when we first got married. We love our children and enjoy them but they have lives of the own now and so do we.

I figure what the heck..he's cute and he helps my husband pick up chicks when I'm not around. They both bragg about it!!!

My son has been on 2 cruises and is bragging about his 3rd to his teachers and little friends (he's so vein..and only 6.)

I love shopping for him just as much as I do for myself so, you can imagine my guest room...no longer fit for a guest because it's already covered with my latest on-line AND instore purchases for our next vacation. I even bought the delinquent hubby a shirt.

BTW..it's the Carnival Triumph on May 7....Woo Hoo!!!

Girlsnightout, I was a stay at home mom for 14 years, but getting away without the kids was always a real treat for us and great for our marriage. Also, my kids have always loved the Air and Space museum as my DH and I did growing up here. We also did the National Zoo, monuments, Capitol, White House, etc. There's lot to do here and all the schools go on field trips downtown. They also loved our trip to Radio City for the Christmas show when they were 6 and 8 (now 18 and 21). They enjoyed being with us. We never let them do the I'm bored routine. We did things we could all enjoy. And being home full time meant not a lot of extra money, just extra mom and dad time.

I didnt' say anything about guilt in reference to cruising, you used that word, but what I did say is guilt about working makes people feel like they need to make it up to their children and a family vacation to me doesn't involve splitting up the family. I also never said it was a terrible thing to take your children. I said it can be a great getaway for parents alone to spend time with each other to reconnect. I was not talking specifically about cruises when I said dumping kids in kids programs all day/night long. I've seen it on other vacations we've been on and resorts we've been to. I never said your or any kids don't like cruising, what I have said is there are [b]alternatives[/b] and cruising can be a great getaway for parents who have someone to watch their kids or like us have done the raising the kid thing and now reward ourselves. I have never been on a cruise before, but we're looking forward to ours this fall and the main reason we selected late seating for dinner was that we were hoping for less children in the dining room.

You may think your 2 year old loves something he's doing at the moment, but what he really loves is being with you. He will not remember one vacation, but he will remember the consistency of his family.

Now I see the flaming you get for having an opinion about children or anything else for that matter. Geez, relax.

Mamaparrothead, I agree totally. My sister left her two at 2 1/2 and 8 months with our parents and took her husband on a cruise 6 years ago. They had a great time and the kids had grandma and grandpa time. No guilt for anyone and adult stuff for them.

We have five, ages two through twelve, and they cruise with us. We're unable to find someone to impose on for over a week to take in five kids 24/7 (and I can't expect the grandparents to give up their vacation time to babysit for us). And besides, we have a great time together and it makes for a fun family vacation. My kids are already addicted to cruises! My parents are coming along next time for their first cruise and the boys can't wait to "show them the ropes"! :)

[quote name='BND']Girlsnightout, I was a stay at home mom for 14 years, but getting away without the kids was always a real treat for us and great for our marriage. Also, my kids have always loved the Air and Space museum as my DH and I did growing up here. We also did the National Zoo, monuments, Capitol, White House, etc. There's lot to do here and all the schools go on field trips downtown. They also loved our trip to Radio City for the Christmas show when they were 6 and 8 (now 18 and 21). They enjoyed being with us. We never let them do the I'm bored routine. We did things we could all enjoy. And being home full time meant not a lot of extra money, just extra mom and dad time.

I didnt' say anything about guilt in reference to cruising, you used that word, but what I did say is guilt about working makes people feel like they need to make it up to their children and a family vacation to me doesn't involve splitting up the family. I also never said it was a terrible thing to take your children. I said it can be a great getaway for parents alone to spend time with each other to reconnect. I was not talking specifically about cruises when I said dumping kids in kids programs all day/night long. I've seen it on other vacations we've been on and resorts we've been to. I never said your or any kids don't like cruising, what I have said is there are [b]alternatives[/b] and cruising can be a great getaway for parents who have someone to watch their kids or like us have done the raising the kid thing and now reward ourselves. I have never been on a cruise before, but we're looking forward to ours this fall and the main reason we selected late seating for dinner was that we were hoping for less children in the dining room.

You may think your 2 year old loves something he's doing at the moment, but what he really loves is being with you. He will not remember one vacation, but he will remember the consistency of his family.
.[/QUOTE]

BND, I really, really wish people knew how to read. I absolutely agree that getting away without kids is wonderful, my husband and I do it several times a year, and have always done so. I stated that in my first post in this thread. We also take 2 weeks vacation with the whole family, and I usually take a few weeks with just my kids and without my husband since he doesn't have enough time off from work.

Oh and I really appreciate the parenting and family advice, if only you had gotten to me sooner, before my children were 12 and 15 and I'd been happily married for over 20 years......;)

Archived