Checking in/pagers...perhaps a silly question

keichman

Trying to work out "check ins" with our 17 year old niece, who will be cruising with us. If the Kids Clubs can hand out pagers to parents whose children are in the Kids Clubs, isn't there technology that we can bring aboard that will do the same thing? Obviously, walkee talkees won't work with all the metal of the ships, and of course, cell phones aren't an option. Isn't there something along the lines of those pagers that we could purchase in advance and bring along with us?

All you'll need to do is let her know where you'll be (and there are only so many places you're likely to be)...before she can go anywhere other than where you KNOW she is, she must come and find you, and let you know about a change of plans! Easy! That way, you get to physically SEE her...she's just not "checking in" without your visual confirmation!!!

It's really not as hard as folks think to keep in touch on the ship!

One idea that seems to work for the older kids, is to take a small magnetic white board. It'll mount on your cabin or bathroom door. It's an easy way to communicate if you don't get the radios or walkie talkies. I like it because it doesn't pin you to one spot until she shows up. So if you're ready for something new, and she hasn't found you yet, you pop into your cabin and scribble a quick "Massage over. Going to the pool - deck 12" or the likes, and she can at least have an idea where to look. And she can do the same by leaving a message for you.

She'll love the freedom and I agree with CB, it's easier than you'd expect to find each other. It's big, but little things like notes and a decent plan helps. One other tip is to get your daily cruise guide and note what activities she's likely to do and vice versa. It helps to know what everyone's plan is. Even if plans change, it certainly narrows down the options. Happy sailing!

I know they make these things called "2 Way Text Pagers" that you can send Text Messages from one pager to another, I tried seeing if I could find a link but couldn't. But a 17 year old would probably know exactly what I'm talking about. That's one idea.

We used walkie talkies on one of my former cruises, and they worked great. Don't have to buy the most expensive ones, but don't get cheap ones either.

The white board idea mentioned by a previous poster was a good idea too!

Wow..I just assumed that walkie talkies would be of limited usefulness. Great to know that they work fairly well...you prompted me to google the question, and it appears that many use them pretty successfully, unless trying to talk between numerous decks. Thanks!

The only thing we found with walkie talkies is that others have the same idea too. On a crowded ship, and limited channels, there were MANY times that people weren't talking to who they thought they were. We gave up after the first day or so.

We always eat together and let each other know our plans for the next 1/2 day. That way each of us knows approximately where/when we can find the others. Notes are good but we don't go back to the cabin much - but that is where we tend to meet before meals so we can freshen up. It is amazing how often we run into each other unintentionally. As others have said, only so many places to go.

Archived