Oil increase

lynsteve

You might avoid the fuel charge if you have already paid in full. As I recall, last time RCCL initially said no fuel charge if you already paid in full -- then subsequently changed it to "if you already paid a deposit" (meaning already had a reservation). Of course, who know what will happen this time.

You might avoid the fuel charge if you have already paid in full. As I recall, last time RCCL initially said no fuel charge if you already paid in full -- then subsequently changed it to "if you already paid a deposit" (meaning already had a reservation). Of course, who know what will happen this time.

Not necessarily the case. On the bottom of every itinerary page on their website it says............

"Royal Caribbean International reserves the right to impose a fuel supplement on all guests if the price of West Texas Intermediate fuel exceeds $65.00 per barrel. The fuel supplement for 1st and 2nd guests would be no more than $10 per guest per day, to a maximum of $140 per cruise; and for additional guests would be no more than $5 per person per day, to a maximum of $70 per cruise".

They are making you aware of the fact that if the price exceeds a certain amount, you are being forewarned that your cruise fare may be increased whether you have made final payment or not.

I see the $ value of crude oil creeping up, when does the increase from RCI kick in and how much?

stevo

They added a disclaimer to all of their information materials quite some time ago that reveals the conditions under which they can impose a fuel surcharge:

"Royal Caribbean International reserves the right to impose a fuel supplement on all guests if the price of West Texas Intermediate fuel exceeds $65.00 per barrel. The fuel supplement for 1st and 2nd guests would be no more than $10 per guest per day, to a maximum of $140 per cruise; and for additional guests would be no more than $5 per person per day, to a maximum of $70 per cruise".

It has been above that threshold for quite some time now, so it is pretty clear that having the right to add a surcharge is not the same thing as actually doing so. Apart from Cunard, which reintroduced a surcharge and more recently raised the amount, none of the other major cruise lines have done so. RCI and others have been able to budget for the steady rise in fuel costs without having to resort to a surcharge and until and unless a major competitor is willing to be the first to reintroduce the charge, don't expect RCI to do so.:)

Not much sense in worrying about it in the meantime.

The increase in fuel has been much more slow and steady in 2010-2011 than it was in 2008. There is no need or justification for a fuel surcharge. RCCL has had time to factor in the current cost of fuel in the pricing structure and via hedging. If oil were to suddenly spike, different story - but this has been a gradual climb, not a spike. Fuel surcharges are fair when their is a dramatic and swift rise in oil prices as the cruise line is not able to forecast that or recoup the significant increased cost, but when the rise in oil is gradual it can be factored into the price of doing business.

The increase in fuel has been much more slow and steady in 2010-2011 than it was in 2008. There is no need or justification for a fuel surcharge. RCCL has had time to factor in the current cost of fuel in the pricing structure and via hedging. If oil were to suddenly spike, different story - but this has been a gradual climb, not a spike. Fuel surcharges are fair when their is a dramatic and swift rise in oil prices as the cruise line is not able to forecast that or recoup the significant increased cost, but when the rise in oil is gradual it can be factored into the price of doing business.

You said it better than I.:)

Bill

You said it better than I.:)

Bill

Or I. :) I'm not expecting a fuel surcharge anytime soon, but increased fares for next year...probably.

Or I. :) I'm not expecting a fuel surcharge anytime soon, but increased fares for next year...probably.

I definatly agree with this and add something I posted to similar question on CCL

@ this time no

but if the rumours are correct in the oil industry and gas starts getting around $5 a gallon The futures market on oil will go thru the roof and barrels of oil will be in the 130-150 again..... than they will definatly impose the fuel surcharge

Now saying that, a while ago when oil had dropped from the mid 100's to the 40's, a couple middle eastern countries stated to Opec that do to infrastructure building in their countries, they need the price around 90 a barrel and look where it is now:eek:

So Im not so sure about the new rumour????

But It is ironic how something that the USA relies so much on is manipulated by a few so easily

DISCLAIMER SO I DONT GET BLAMED FOR MASS HISTERIA

I DO NOT HAVE INSIDE INFORMATION ABOUT THE OIL COMPANIES THIS RUMOUR WAS ACTUALLY STARTED BY FORMER PRESIDENT OF SHELLOIL

Archived