Cruising out of Manhattan NY...Need parking info.

CruzinWithMom

Four of us are planning to cruise out of Manhattan NY on May 1. We will be driving to New York. Looking for any information on parking at the Terminal and the cost? I've read that parking will be $200 for 10 days. I'm concerned about the safety of my vehicle at the parking lot and really not sure where it is? Does anyone have information on other available parking?

we parked there three weeks ago at a cost of $210for 7 days .as for security the parking on the pier was between the cruise ship and uss intrepid aircraft carrier .security is pretty tight . I was concerned myself but will park there for years to come.

We have done this routine several times. Go around to the top, park where they tell you to park, pay $$ (not sure what the going rate is), and see your car from the ship.

It is easy and convenient.

One suggestion is that you should drop off your passengers and luggage before you go up the ramp and have them wait for the driver. Otherwise, you will be slepping your luggage a couple of floors.

Have a great time.

Ahh...Gee....Thanks...that's so kind of you!!! LOL !!! Looking forward to this cruise as we talked two other friends into coming who have never cruised before!!!

Should be fun...I've cruised Holland and Carnival. This will be our first time on Norwegian. Really looking forward to it....

Wish Mom could have been with me...she really enjoyed our cruise on Carnival...

Like the previous poster said, parking is $30 per day with a max (I believe) of $300. On other threads people have said they have changed the system and you should not drop off your passengers and luggage because then you have to exit and reenter to park. They have a huge elevator so it is not a problem getting your luggage to the pier level where you turn it in. You'll be in a big city, parking is expensive. budget it into your cruise and forget it. WE've used the lot 3 times so far and no problems with safety. You can park in NJ and take buses, ferries, car services, etc but having your car immediately available when you get off the ship is priceless.

Public garages around the Manhattan/West Side Cruise Terminals might be a bit cheaper, IF you do not have to pay a surcharge for an "oversized" vehicle and/or SUV or 4WD/AWD - adding easily $10 daily to the "internet" rates (with only 1 or 2 lots charging $5 extra daily) - some rates are guaranteed with reservations, others aren't and on a space available basis - one mentioned lately is over on 10th Avenue at 49th Street - which is several blocks away, with capacity for about 100 cars as I recall. If it's full, you will have to drive around again & get back into the Pier's rooftop parking - or, dropping the rest of the party off at the pier with the luggage & giving the keys to the parking lot attendant, walk back to the terminal (allow 30 minutes to 1 hour for these extra steps.) One trick that these public garage people pulled is to say that the quoted/confirmed rate do not apply for certain date(s) as there are special events (i.e. at the Convention Center, which is at least 10 city blocks away or more, but .... :mad: ) in the area, thus increasingly your "no longer" bargain parking fees & savings vs. using the Pier (which, is park & lock - you keep the car keys, no attendant going thru your glove compartment or trunk - and the lots are patrolled by their security while you are cruising .... :cool:

AFAIK, the Pier's parking is flat and no extra for van, SUV or oversized vehicle @ $30 including taxes (which is 18.75% or so for NYC parking, ouch) and right above the terminals, very convenient and upon returning, make for a quick exit once you get your luggage & everyone hop back in.

For us, we will leave our vehicles at home in the driveway and just use car service, just as fast & cheaper vs. 7 days - only downside is on our return, the car service sometimes won't drive up to the pier with all the traffic and asked us to meet them across the "highway" and up the block, so we have to "drag" our luggages over on our own.

Like the previous poster said, parking is $30 per day with a max (I believe) of $300. On other threads people have said they have changed the system and you should not drop off your passengers and luggage because then you have to exit and reenter to park. They have a huge elevator so it is not a problem getting your luggage to the pier level where you turn it in. You'll be in a big city, parking is expensive. budget it into your cruise and forget it. WE've used the lot 3 times so far and no problems with safety. You can park in NJ and take buses, ferries, car services, etc but having your car immediately available when you get off the ship is priceless.

Hatewater is correct about the new system. I sailed out of NYC on the Jewel in May and Oct. In the past you would drive up the ramp, drive down the entire length of the pier; this would allow you to drop of the bags half way down; then at the end stay right and go to the top and park. Now you pull up the ramp, follow the signs and park uptop. On each pier there are large elevators that take you to the 2nd level, go outside and give your bag to a porter.

Enjoy.........................

Holy Macaroni!!!!! That's pretty pricey.... Almost as much as the cruise!!! LOL Is there any other options for parking that doesn't cost an arm and a leg and yet, still secure? :eek:

this is money well spent..it is a secure lot and you will see your car from the ship....any other lot in the area will most likely make you leave your keys...will be a walk from the ship, probably across the street.

Remember it is in the cruise lines best interest to keep your car safe. I agree it is very expensive.

When you come down Route 95..remember to get to the Henry Hudson Parkway and then to the West Side Highway..piece of cake....

You can have our spot because we will be leaving as you arrive

Don't come down I95 through NYC. At the CT/NY line, take I287 West and get off at one of the first exits following the signs to the Hutchinson River Parkway South - you will be on a service road for a couple of lights. From the Hutch take exit 15 - Cross County Parkway and get in the middle left lane which will become the left lane. At the end of the Cross County take the Saw Mill River Parkway South. This becomes the Henry Hudson Parkway at the NYC line and it will take you directly to the pier. The toll is $3 and worth every penny. This is a cars only route. I95 is the infamous Cross Bronx Expressway which has all the truck traffic and is known for its traffic jams.

Don't come down I95 through NYC. At the CT/NY line, take I287 West and get off at one of the first exits following the signs to the Hutchinson River Parkway South - you will be on a service road for a couple of lights. From the Hutch take exit 15 - Cross County Parkway and get in the middle left lane which will become the left lane. At the end of the Cross County take the Saw Mill River Parkway South. This becomes the Henry Hudson Parkway at the NYC line and it will take you directly to the pier. The toll is $3 and worth every penny. This is a cars only route. I95 is the infamous Cross Bronx Expressway which has all the truck traffic and is known for its traffic jams.

You got me big shot;)...I meant to say "when you come down 87"...regardless tthey live in Ontario....they know 95 is not the right road. So does their GPS:D

To the OP: What I meant to say was when you come down 87, connect to the Henry Hudson Pkwy and then to the West Side Highway...which is a very nice drive into Manhattan...and super easy to get you right into the terminal parking ramp.....you will not catch any of the NYC/Bronx traffic.....just get on to the Henry Hudson.....

You got me too. I wasn't paying attention that they are coming from Ontario. Actually, the GPS will probably route them through northern NJ across the GW Bridge. On the upper level, the Henry Hudson is the very first exit at the end of the bridge and you want to be in the right lane and follow the downtown signs. On the lower level it is also the first exit and you want to be in the left lane.

You got me too. I wasn't paying attention that they are coming from Ontario. Actually, the GPS will probably route them through northern NJ across the GW Bridge. On the upper level, the Henry Hudson is the very first exit at the end of the bridge and you want to be in the right lane and follow the downtown signs. On the lower level it is also the first exit and you want to be in the left lane.

I was thinking that as well.....to go thru Jersey and the GWB....and that is perfect for the West Side and no traffic at that time either. What time do you think someone from Ontario would start out? I would think maybe a day earlier and stay in a hotel....but that is what I would do....of course if there is a strong driver on board then I would think leaving around 3am or so could work and make it to the terminal by noon or earlier.

We only live 20 miles north of the pier but always leave the house on or before 10am and are usually waiting to check in by 11am.

I'd never do that to save the price of a hotel room and run the risk of problems along the way. There are lots of inexpensive hotels in the Parsippany area on Hotwire. I could leave the same day from the Boston area which is a lot closer, but in the middle of winter I just don't want to risk it.

Thanks for all the directions, information and the picture. That was fantastic and very kind of all of you!!! I will definitely have to write all the directions down then look at a map. We are looking at staying at the Hampton Inn in Parisppany (sp?) Trip Advisor gave it good rating and it will be a short drive to the Port in the morning. My other two friends have just confirmed so LOOK OUT!!!! Here comes the "Crazy Canucks" on the NCL Jewel on May 1st!!!!!!!!:D:D::D

Thanks for all the directions, information and the picture. That was fantastic and very kind of all of you!!! I will definitely have to write all the directions down then look at a map. We are looking at staying at the Hampton Inn in Parisppany (sp?) Trip Advisor gave it good rating and it will be a short drive to the Port in the morning. My other two friends have just confirmed so LOOK OUT!!!! Here comes the "Crazy Canucks" on the NCL Jewel on May 1st!!!!!!!!:D:D::D

Have a great cruise...I'll wave to you as we leave the ship and you get on!!:)

An alternative, that I always do, if using the NYS Thruway, is to park in Poughkeepsi, for $30/week and take Metro North in, at about $30 round trip pp. A cab from Grand Central is maybe $15.

That isn't the worst idea, but Metro North just raised their prices and depending on how many are traveling the per person price for the train plus the price of possibly 2 cabs to the pier and then the wait to get a cab at debark might offset the savings by way of an incredible inconvenience!!LOL

For our cruise in April on the Jewel, I was actually thinking of walking or cabbing it from our house to the Metro North staion about a mile away, then buy 5 offpeak round trip tickets and then when we got to Grand Central, if the weather was nice, actually walking to the pier:eek: as we travel light. Then, a week later either walking or cabbing it, if we could get one without waiting 2 hours in the queue at the pier, back to GCS and then walking or cabbing it back to our home (don't want to impose on friends for a ride as we are a big group).

So, when I discussed this idea with a limo driver friend and explained that we could save a whole $100 with my idea, his answer was 'it's doable...but it will be an incredible PITA to just save $100!"LOL:D

Of course we are not doing that and will just drive to the pier, park for 7 nights and pay $210. We will be on our way northbound on the Henry Hudson with 20 minutes of debark and we will just breeze by the several hundred or so people waiting for drivers or lining up for cabs.:eek:

Question??? When we depart the boat, we would like to visit "ground zero" and pay our respects...what would be the best way?...Remember...we have never been to New York and have no idea of where everything is in retrospect to the dock? Is there any other sites that would be interesting for us to see?? Should we take Subways, drive, buses??? We really don't know...help...;)

Archived