Cruising out of Manhattan NY...Need parking info.

CruzinWithMom

Question??? When we depart the boat, we would like to visit "ground zero" and pay our respects...what would be the best way?...Remember...we have never been to New York and have no idea of where everything is in retrospect to the dock? Is there any other sites that would be interesting for us to see?? Should we take Subways, drive, buses??? We really don't know...help...;)

Ground zero is now an above ground building site several stories up. Last time I was down there about 2 years ago there was lots of construction and the place that I recall being a little memorial was gone. There was an enclosed walkway that one could overlook the site and there was a construction walkway near West Street that did have some memorial posters and such.

My suggestion would be to google the site and see what is now being offerred for viewing. They have built up a beautiful mall and waterfront on the west side of the site...maybe it is called Landmark or Liberty or Financial something..sorry I don't remember..but someone here will chime in with the correct answer.

Another thought for you would be to do the open deck buses that can be picked up in Times Square or even the Circle Line boat tour which is great and only a few blocks south of the pier right next to the Intrepid.

If you are bringing your car to the pier...which I believe you are...then my suggestion would be to load your stuff in the car and move it to the Circle Line parking structure...which is exactly like the NCL pier parking...very safe and convenient. No one will break in and you do not leave your keys. $30 for the day.

From there you can hop on the Circle Line boat which gives nice narrative and tidbits about NYC over a 2 hour period.. or ..walk to Times Square..about 6 long blocks....but very doable and many people will be doing it....and you can grab a double deck bus tour.

I think the bus tour is your best way to see Ground Zero, the Emopire State Bldg, Central Park, South Street Seaport. I believe you can turn it into a Hop on Hop Off if you want..but staying on is very nice.

You may not be able to leave your car at the NCL pier and it is really no big deal to move south a few blocks and park at the Circle Line lot...I think that is a smart move.

as for taking a taxi tour...well, what can I say...I am sure there are some great taxi drivers in NYC who actually know their way around town....but I would not do it personally.

BTW, there are no subway lines near the pier....but if you walk to Times Square and want to just roam around you will love it as they have a pedestrian mall now and you are also very conveniently located to all subway lines although you will have to transfer underground to get to some places...pay one price once you are underground though.

It will be a nice day for you and is it Mother's Day? Or is it a 10 day cruise..sorry I don't recall. Shouldn't be too busy on the streets if it is Mother's Day...but many families will be hanging out for sure. You may want to walk to 5th Avenue stop by Rockefeller Center and St. Pat's Cathedral.

.....check the HO Ho and Circle Line schedules but I am sure they are running.

Question??? When we depart the boat, we would like to visit "ground zero" and pay our respects...what would be the best way?...Remember...we have never been to New York and have no idea of where everything is in retrospect to the dock? Is there any other sites that would be interesting for us to see?? Should we take Subways, drive, buses??? We really don't know...help...;)

one more thing..if seeing ground zero is your only priority...then by all means just drive south on the street you are already on and you will drive right past it...albeit you won't recognize it as it is just a construction site from the road at this point. You can park in Batterry Park at the south tip of Manhattan and enjoy a beautiful day walking around viewing the Statue of Liberty and walking near ground zero. Also, the Financial District...Wall Street is right there..with Trinity Church (National Treasure) and the Federal Builings and the Stock Exchange which of course will be closed if it is a Sunday but the area is nice to just view and there is lots of history there. If it is a regular workday..then the museum down there will be open and you will be mortified at how busy and crowded the area is...making parking even worse...so do the Circle Line parking suggestion.

A downtown walking tour is great but you may or may not find street parking and getting booted or getting a ticket on a workday is terrible and costly...and remember you will have your luggage in the car and may have to leave your keys at a public lot...that is why I like the Circle Line parking where you can leave it all day and then walk to Times Square and do the subway thing to downtown. Very easy and doable....remember bathrooms are at a premium in NYC so if you are downtown in Battery Park you can walk over the the Staten Island Ferry Terminal...which is now a destination in itself and if the terminal area is any indication....the restrooms will be spotless.

Has anyone done the Park, Stay and Cruise that I've seen advertised? We do that when we fly out of Buffalo and I found sights that advertise this for the New York Cruise Terminal?

I don't think that any of us who regularly post here know of any hotels in Manhattan that have this type of package. Do you have names?

Homewood Suites does, but it's not in Manhattan...the hotel is across the river in Edgewater, NJ and you have to either take a taxi into New York or use the ferry to cross the river. There are other hotels that have packages for Cape Liberty cruise port in Bayonne, NJ, not for the Manhattan cruise terminal.

Has anyone done the Park, Stay and Cruise that I've seen advertised? We do that when we fly out of Buffalo and I found sights that advertise this for the New York Cruise Terminal?

I don't think that any of us who regularly post here know of any hotels in Manhattan that have this type of package. Do you have names?

Homewood Suites does, but it's not in Manhattan...the hotel is across the river in Edgewater, NJ and you have to either take a taxi into New York or use the ferry to cross the river. There are other hotels that have packages for Cape Liberty cruise port in Bayonne, NJ, not for the Manhattan cruise terminal.

Please see my answer to your question I posted on the NCL board. The hotels you named there are not in Manhattan, they're Newark Airport hotels.

I'd never do that to save the price of a hotel room and run the risk of problems along the way. There are lots of inexpensive hotels in the Parsippany area on Hotwire. I could leave the same day from the Boston area which is a lot closer, but in the middle of winter I just don't want to risk it.

We were thinking of staying in Parsippany. How early should we leave to get to the cruise port on a Sunday?

triumph8-15-09057-1.jpg

Since the Gem and Jewel are piggybacking itineraries, has there ever been an issue of not having enough parking spaces available at the pier? And if so, what did they do?

Also, while researching this it was mentioned that sometimes you dock at another pier when you return. For those of you in the know, under what circumstances would this happen.

We are on the 10 Day Jewel Feb. 2. We always park at the pier and never had a problem. We are telling everyone not to worry - but after seeing that picture I hope we are we right.

Since the Gem and Jewel are piggybacking itineraries, has there ever been an issue of not having enough parking spaces available at the pier?

We are on the 10 Day Jewel Feb. 2. We always park at the pier and never had a problem. We are telling everyone not to worry - but after seeing that picture I hope we are we right.

In the summer months, when the piers are busy with several ships from different lines, parking might be a bit more of a problem - but I don't recall from all the recent years sailing out of the West Side piers that they ran out of space.

Both the Gem & Jewel are out on 10 day Caribbean sailings at this moment, and looking at the live cam views, the parking lot is about 25% full in the middle, the left is barely used and the one on the right practically empty or closed. :p

http://wirednewyork.com/webcam3/

Not sure of when that photo was taken with it being perhaps 90% full but it looked like there are still space toward the end of the long pier (mid/lower right of photo: open space for 15 to 20 vehicles) - certainly not taken within the past 3 or 4 weeks as the piles of snow are still all over the city and would definitely be still on the piers - we got 3 "layers' of hardened snow/ice covering in our backyard (looked like it will eventually melt this Spring with more cold air & snow hitting overnight, LOL) :rolleyes:

Sit back, relax & start thinking about what to pack & take along on your cruise - and checking weather down in the southern waters. :D We will be on the Jewel next month after your return and can't wait for the CTN folks to disembark. Leaving our cars/suv at home as we will be using car services - cheaper for us & we will just pull up to the porter .... :)

In the summer months, when the piers are busy with several ships from different lines, parking might be a bit more of a problem - but I don't recall from all the recent years sailing out of the West Side piers that they ran out of space.

Both the Gem & Jewel are out on 10 day Caribbean sailings at this moment, and looking at the live cam views, the parking lot is about 25% full in the middle, the left is barely used and the one on the right practically empty or closed. :p

http://wirednewyork.com/webcam3/

Not sure of when that photo was taken with it being perhaps 90% full but it looked like there are still space toward the end of the long pier (mid/lower right of photo: open space for 15 to 20 vehicles) - certainly not taken within the past 3 or 4 weeks as the piles of snow are still all over the city and would definitely be still on the piers - we got 3 "layers' of hardened snow/ice covering in our backyard (looked like it will eventually melt this Spring with more cold air & snow hitting overnight, LOL) :rolleyes:

Sit back, relax & start thinking about what to pack & take along on your cruise - and checking weather down in the southern waters. :D We will be on the Jewel next month after your return and can't wait for the CTN folks to disembark. Leaving our cars/suv at home as we will be using car services - cheaper for us & we will just pull up to the porter .... :)

Thank you for your quick reply. DD called yesterday and asked this question. We have parked at the pier several times and never had a problem. We live close and we think the convenience for us is well worth the cost. (front door to parking - 40 minutes - and that included circling around after dropping off luggage.)

I have been following the webcams (Intrepid has a great close-up one too www.intrepidmuseum.org/Live-Webcams.aspx and the pier parking never looked that busy but I promised I would check.

I think I learned more about the piers than I need to know. When we disembark on Feb. 12 we will be in the middle of the Gem/Jewel one-nighters and the start of the 7 day itineraries for both ships. So I think I answered my own question about returning to the same pier that you left. The same setup is in place for this weekend so I'll be watching closely. But what can you do but go with the very busy flow and anyway at that point the only place we have to go is home :(.

Thank you again and now I can go back to worrying about the snow :eek:.

Patter: If you go right to the parking level pay,pull to the curb drop off your pax and luggage near the elevator you don't need to exit and reenter. Then the driver could park and walk back to meet up with your party. Exit the elevator on level two and give the porters your luggage. Just make sure the porters are for your ship if more then one in port.

Patter: If you go right to the parking level pay,pull to the curb drop off your pax and luggage near the elevator you don't need to exit and reenter. Then the driver could park and walk back to meet up with your party. Exit the elevator on level two and give the porters your luggage. Just make sure the porters are for your ship if more then one in port.

Thank you for your replies. We used to do that but we're seniors and those days are gone. We still pack to be self-sufficient but try not to be. We even grab a porter when we disembark (helps to zip through customs too). :D

Archived