Rome to Civitavecchia by train, with children & Puschair

winniesbestm8

We were going to use the cruise ship for transport only to get into Rome, as we are meeting my friend in Rome. owever this is still something ridiculous like £150 for the 4 of us.

However after having a quick search through the forum it seems train is best and cheapest way to get there, so a few Q's if I may?

1. I have seen a few references to steps at the train station, is this going to be difficult with a pushchair?

2. Are children free?

3. Is it easy enough to get on the train and get off at the correct station, i.e could we miss our stop or is it announced well enough to get off?

4. How much time should we allow in getting back to the ship on the train?

5. It says something about not being able to walk from the ship through the port at Civitavecchia, how do we get to the train station and to the ship?

Many Thanks

Emma

We were going to use the cruise ship for transport only to get into Rome, as we are meeting my friend in Rome. owever this is still something ridiculous like £150 for the 4 of us.

However after having a quick search through the forum it seems train is best and cheapest way to get there, so a few Q's if I may?

1. I have seen a few references to steps at the train station, is this going to be difficult with a pushchair?

By pushchair I assume you mean a stroller with a child? If yes, it can be done. The most stairs will be if you have to go to a track other than 1 or 2. When we went we had to go down some stairs (maybe 12) and than back up to get to our track. It is a little bit of a walk to the station, about 10 or so minutes.

2. Are children free?

It will depend on their age I believe.

3. Is it easy enough to get on the train and get off at the correct station, i.e could we miss our stop or is it announced well enough to get off?

If you are getting off at the most popular stops it is fairly easy (San Pietro for the Vatican, Termini for most others) as you will see the train empty out. Sometimes they will have screens that announce the next stop and sometimes they will announce it over the PA, sometimes not. You can also look out the window and see the station name, I would suggest knowing your stop before you want to get off so when you see it yu will know the next stop is yours. I cheated as I had a handheld GPS.

4. How much time should we allow in getting back to the ship on the train?

Most recommend catching the train before the last one that will work for you so if you miss it you have a fall back. For example, if you ship leaves at 8:00 I would catch the 4:59 (San Pietro) which arrives at 5:57, if you miss that you can still catch the 6:30 which arrives at 7:13. The time from the station back to the ship is maybe 20 minutes.

5. It says something about not being able to walk from the ship through the port at Civitavecchia, how do we get to the train station and to the ship?

There will be a shuttle bus that drops you off by an old fort, about a 10 minute walk to the station. Coming back you just catch the bus at the fort back to your ship.

Many Thanks

Emma

Here are some links that I found helpful in researching this topic

http://***************************/%20transportation/arriving-by-train-roma-termini-2

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1055354

http://heinbloed-cruiseguides.blogspot.com/2009/01/civitavecchia-italy-getting-to-vatican.html

Enjoy your cruise!

Kirk

Archived