Hilton Southampton

GSYWills23

Hi,

Prior to my next voyage on QE (Iberian Serenade 19th April), I am staying at the Southapmton Hilton. Usually my family has stayed in London and then traveled to Southampton on the day- so we are quite excited just to have an easier journey in the morning.

Has anyone here stayed in the Hilton before? and can anyone tell me what it is like?

Many Thanks

Hi,

Prior to my next voyage on QE (Iberian Serenade 19th April), I am staying at the Southapmton Hilton. Usually my family has stayed in London and then traveled to Southampton on the day- so we are quite excited just to have an easier journey in the morning.

Has anyone here stayed in the Hilton before? and can anyone tell me what it is like?

Many Thanks

I stayed there last year and it was ok, the bed was not too comfortable but the food etc was fine. It is situated at the junction of M3 and M27 and it is north of the roundabout towards Chilworth, not too easy to find. They do a deal with parking where you stay one night and having paid approx £90 for the night you can park there for two weeks and they shuttle you to and from the port. Works very well. It is about 20 minutes from the port.

So Certainly much closer than we have been before. thnaks for your feedback, I was hoping for a nice meal to ease me into the cruise way of life once again.

As we only paid £57 for the night it would also seem we have a little bit of a bargin

I am a Hilton HHonors Diamond member which means over 28 stays/year. The Hilton Southampton is one of the poorest Hiltons I've stayed in and I've stayed there 3 times because it helps with my annual HHonors status. If it weren't for points and stays I wouldn't go near the place which is not something I'd say about 99% of Hiltons.

It is expensive, its rooms are small and unattractive, its in the middle of nowhere and most of its staff need charisma transplants.

If you are travelling from London and staying a night before your voyage I would recommend staying in the city near cruise terminal. That way you can go out for dinner and stroll around the city centre before boarding.

I am a Hilton HHonors Diamond member which means over 28 stays/year. The Hilton Southampton is one of the poorest Hiltons I've stayed in and I've stayed there 3 times because it helps with my annual HHonors status. If it weren't for points and stays I wouldn't go near the place which is not something I'd say about 99% of Hiltons.

It is expensive, its rooms are small and unattractive, its in the middle of nowhere and most of its staff need charisma transplants.

If you are travelling from London and staying a night before your voyage I would recommend staying in the city near cruise terminal. That way you can go out for dinner and stroll around the city centre before boarding.

I don't think that you can say that £57 is expensive. It serves a purpose. Even at £90 including two weeks parking and shuttles each way it is a bargain. No-one is saying that it is a salubrious establishment, it is what is called over here, cheap and cheerful.

I don't think that you can say that £57 is expensive. It serves a purpose. Even at £90 including two weeks parking and shuttles each way it is a bargain. No-one is saying that it is a salubrious establishment, it is what is called over here, cheap and cheerful.

As the OP is based in Guernsey parking would seem an unlikely need.

My stays were all in summer so I never paid less than £90 with no parking so it wasn't cheap for me. And what I got for my £90+ didn't cheer me a whole lot.:D

As the OP is based in Guernsey parking would seem an unlikely need.

My stays were all in summer so I never paid less than £90 with no parking so it wasn't cheap for me. And what I got for my £90+ didn't cheer me a whole lot.:D

Not wishing to drag this out, the OP's £57 obviously did not include parking and I still think that £90 for that service is cheap. You must be a bit slow on the uptake if you hated it that much but still stayed there three times. :) It doesn't pretend to be a luxury hotel but it fills a niche, obviously not yours.

We have stayed there twice before both of our cruises. We like the leafy location and the hotel was nice. The rooms were small but we did not need much space. We had the breakfast buffet included which we liked. There are quite a few cruisers that stay here. The pool and gym were small and there is a sauna. We liked to walk to the top of the hill near the motorway and take the bus(#1) to town and back (get a daytripper ticket for 3 pounds per person for unlimited all day). We also got a taxi to the ship and I think that was about 15 pounds. Hope this helps.

Barbara

Not wishing to drag this out, the OP's £57 obviously did not include parking and I still think that £90 for that service is cheap. You must be a bit slow on the uptake if you hated it that much but still stayed there three times. :) It doesn't pretend to be a luxury hotel but it fills a niche, obviously not yours.

I guess if I'm slow on the uptake I'm in good company. I did explain why I stayed there. Perhaps you didn't read that far.;) Your high speed uptake found a word I never used i.e. hate.:D My niche is Hilton points and stays so it did in fact fill that niche but it failed on most other reasonable Hilton expectations.:(

I guess if I'm slow on the uptake I'm in good company. I did explain why I stayed there. Perhaps you didn't read that far.;) Your high speed uptake found a word I never used i.e. hate.:D My niche is Hilton points and stays so it did in fact fill that niche but it failed on most other reasonable Hilton expectations.:(

Hated may have been too strong a word but when you say " If it weren't for points and stays I wouldn't go near the place which is not something I'd say about 99% of Hiltons. It is expensive, its rooms are small and unattractive, its in the middle of nowhere and most of its staff need charisma transplants. " I don't think it is that big a jump but perhaps strongly dislike might have been a better choice, and I did fully read your post. At least you were rewarded with your Hilton points, so you got something from the stay.

Hated may have been too strong a word but when you say " If it weren't for points and stays I wouldn't go near the place which is not something I'd say about 99% of Hiltons. It is expensive, its rooms are small and unattractive, its in the middle of nowhere and most of its staff need charisma transplants. " I don't think it is that big a jump but perhaps strongly dislike might have been a better choice, and I did fully read your post. At least you were rewarded with your Hilton points, so you got something from the stay.

Indeed, and I look forward to spending those points on the Conrads in Hong Kong and Bangkok.;) The service there will be excellent. There are benefits to staying a lot in Hiltons.:D

Hi GSYWills23,

We stayed at the Hilton last June under the same offer that I think you have (half price sale?). We treated ourselves to a suite as it was our silver wedding. The rooms were fine. Very hot, no A/C, no more than a crack of window to open. The lamp in the sitting room did not work so we called housekeeping. They came out and said they could only replace a bulb during office hours!! We were left with only a small desk lamp in that room (no ceiling lights), and a working standard lamp hard wired into the bedroom. The bed was comfortable.

We tried to have a meal in the evening but the restaurant was fully booked and a bar meal (a panini) took about an hour to arrive. Breakfast was ridiculous. Everyone had to sit outside the restaurant untill we were called as tables became available - some 10 to 15 mins. But when we got in the place was almost deserted, with no-one clearing tables. We sat in a big area on our own, surrounded by cluttered tables.

I did write comments on their form and received a letter of apology in reply.

We have booked a Hilton again this year with the same offer, for the night before our QV cruise in June, but we are staying in Portsmouth. I hope it is better than Southampton!

The hotel is ok, it is similar to a Holiday Inn, the food was fine when we got it and it is convenient, but don't expect too much of the service.

Sarah

Sounds as if the standards at the Hilton have fallen, as my late father in law stayed there prior to cruises in the past and he was quite impressed.

I've also booked a £57 deal and in looking at the Hilton website, the old park and cruise offer doesn't seem to exist any more ( It was still available last year as I considered it) however you can now leave your car there for £3 per day instead. No need or able to book just arrange on arrival.

Sounds functional as long as you bring a torch !! or a light bulb !!

Best to not expect too much and then we won't be too disappointed.

Glad I could be of help to you GSY. I try to be as positive as I can. It sounds like you got a very good deal on the price too. I hope you were able to get the Any weekend/Anywhere Offer which includes breakfast, makes things a little easier. Have fun on your cruise in April!

Barbara

I too am staying in Southampton before a QE cruise in September. I looked at the Hilton but saw too many negative reviews on TripAdvsor website.

While on this site I found a link to their Bed $ Breakfasts. I found one called the Mayfair that had outstanding reviews and is right in the middle of town near shopping and sights. Rate was 62 pounds a night with private facilities. I booked it. I won't know how well this will work out for several months but based on the reviews I am looking forward to a positive experience.

I stayed at the Hilton, and found nothing wrong with it.

Room was nice, with a new, comfortable "Hilton bed" ... staff was friendly and professional ... the food was good ... no problems getting into town.

I'm not really sure why some folks on Tripadvisor have the need to skewer certain properties. That's why I ignore everything negative that's mentioned

on that site.

I agree, but is this site not owned by Trip Advisor??

Good point PS. I find these days that TA is really hit and miss.

As for the Hilton in Soton, it really is a matter of choice. We always stay at the De Vere and quite honestly there isn't much to choose between the two. It is after all just a bed for the night pre-cruise.

If however one wishes to push the boat out, then Chewton Glen is the place to indulge.

Best

Judy

Archived