Elation Propulsion + 72$

rcrx

A cruise contract is non negotiable and is not fair to the consumer, but if you want to cruise, you sign on. If you sail with Carnival enough, you will come to find that they DO have all the balls, and you will discover your inner soprano. :)

That is why my inner soprano has taken its '000's of dollars of vacation money elsewhere this year :D

wow.. that was alot of reading. We are leaving on the 20th. As of right now, what does that status look like? My eyes were going crossed but I believe it has left Mobile and is heading 'somewhere'. We are planning on going and having a good time no matter the situation or weather. We cruise once a year if lucky... its a nice time to enjoy with the hubby and NO kids :)

We will find out tomorrow morning if she makes it to Progresso on time.....

Based on this 'contract' that is being thrown about right now, it should be exactly as you said. They owe you nothing. It simply isn't the case though.

There are many accounts on these boards, in particular, about one cruise getting no compensation, another getting x amount and then others getting x ++++. It makes no difference what the issues are to begin with. It seems to be a case by case review on the part of CCL to decide on what, if any, compensation is offered.

That is changing the rules to suit your own needs to me.

I fail to see how you can call a company being more generous than their "rule" depending on the situation changing the rules. That sounds to me like a bunch of kids complaining that one got more than the other. I am sure there is something different about each situation and the company can offer something "more" if they want to. As a consumer, if you don't like the offer you receive then you can ask for more.

Or spend your $$$$ elsewhere since asking for more with CCL seems to be a dead end when things go wrong.

Don't you remember what Nu Nu said after his cruise on the Elation in August :confused: This happening really isn't a surprise.

He had that "special" tour and Man Overboard comes to mind. Sometimes a cruise just blows.

Having sailed on the Elation this week, the main issue we had has not been addressed. That is one of dishonesty! Weather was horrible, not carnival's fault. Malfunction, it happens! Missed a port, happened to me before. However, when they had prior knowledge and still let us board... that is not acceptable. We were informed that they had technical issues and we did not sail until after 5 pm. After the fiasco, when we talked with customer service and suggested that they knew about the issue before we boarded, they said they were waiting on passengers... REALLY! Since when does a cruise ship wait more than an hour on passengers? It was just one lie after another... too much to type! Bottom line, whomever said the destination is the ship is right on! And trust me the Elation is not a destination. This was my 5th and LAST cruise on a carnival ship... Royal Caribbean looks like it might be nice in the future. Trust me, I am not one to gripe.. but when you are concerned about safety, trust is a big thing... and I don't think I could ever trust Carnival again... They are trained to tell you what they think you want to hear... like "that was just a big wave we hit," wrong, it was the propulsion system!

Don't you remember what Nu Nu said after his cruise on the Elation in August :confused: This happening really isn't a surprise.

He had that "special" tour and Man Overboard comes to mind. Sometimes a cruise just blows.

But isn't a bad day on a cruise better than a day at work:confused::rolleyes: Who, btw:p????

Sorry to say, it's spelled out in the contract, the contract that everyone agrees to when they pay for the cruise.

The statement provided to me by Carnival was accurate. I don't know how you can dispute that.

:)

< sigh>

I know it was rather lengthy, and therefore perhaps confusing to some, but did you attempt what I requested in Post 52?

What was your result if you did?

I was on this cruise, too. I do think they were not entirely honest with us - they claimed the late start was due to "routine maintenance". Then the engine/propeller/whatever caused problems, and some crew members told us they were not surprised, as Elation has been having ongoing problems. So, I do not think they were being upfront. I am not upset with the $72 refund, I know things happen. They didn't have to give us anything but the $22 port fees. And the crummy weather was not Carnival's fault. The staff were great, the food was good, we had fun. But we were SO disappointed to miss Calica; we had booked a tour to Tulum that we were SO looking forward to. So quit beating up the folks who were upset; they have every right to be disappointed.

That is why my inner soprano has taken its '000's of dollars of vacation money elsewhere this year :D

Same here. Last two years.

Dealing with Carnival customer service reminds me very much of buying on ebay. When things go wrong they don't speaka da english.

Carnival has a great product - they just suck standing behind it.

But we were SO disappointed to miss Calica; we had booked a tour to Tulum that we were SO looking forward to. So quit beating up the folks who were upset; they have every right to be disappointed.

FWIW we did an AI in Tulum this year. It was awesome! You need to go there!

Uh-oh! I though N2 was a banned word. You are skating on thin ice, mister :mad: Is that what happened to him? He was tossed overboard?

Technically, even if a Carnival cruise ship just goes in circles for the entire cruise.... you got what you paid for.

(since you agreed to the contract which has everything clearly spelled out) . . .

Hi, Linda!! :)

You know those contract contents, and you've been one of the best here online (and for years) to put it/them in an understandable light. I've read, and printed, them all, and I can still learn from your great insight, but . . .

As I've attempted more than once to explain to a particular Host, the CCL web site is not properly (shock shock) set up to visually offer the correct complete contract details when you initially book, and pay deposit (perhaps even pay in full). I detailed that in Post 52, and I think it's a shame that a benchmark cruiseline like CCL makes that doofus error.

It's not until you fill out the FunPass details that you agree to the complete contract. If someone fills that out after the final payment deadline, it would/could create a real issue for passengers who only just then read some rules that they didn't feel comfortable accepting . . . but would have no choice other than to cancel with the financial penalties.

Hoping that the Fates allow us to cross paths soon. <<hug>> :D

Having sailed on the Elation this week, the main issue we had has not been addressed. That is one of dishonesty! Weather was horrible, not carnival's fault. Malfunction, it happens! Missed a port, happened to me before. However, when they had prior knowledge and still let us board... that is not acceptable. We were informed that they had technical issues and we did not sail until after 5 pm. After the fiasco, when we talked with customer service and suggested that they knew about the issue before we boarded, they said they were waiting on passengers... REALLY! Since when does a cruise ship wait more than an hour on passengers? It was just one lie after another... too much to type! Bottom line, whomever said the destination is the ship is right on! And trust me the Elation is not a destination. This was my 5th and LAST cruise on a carnival ship... Royal Caribbean looks like it might be nice in the future. Trust me, I am not one to gripe.. but when you are concerned about safety, trust is a big thing... and I don't think I could ever trust Carnival again... They are trained to tell you what they think you want to hear... like "that was just a big wave we hit," wrong, it was the propulsion system!

Not know what the problem was, it is hard to say what they did know. Where they having the same issue the cruise before that only allow them to travel at 6 knots? I doubt it because the ship did get in on time that morning.

If they did say something, do you thing some people would have gotten off the ship or not sailed? Should they not have said? I doubt it. One question to ask someone on that sailing is.... Did the ship ever go at full speed???

Before Cozumel. Did it go full speed afterwards Cozumel?

Also, I am not sure I see allowing passengers to board this ship and sail a safety issue. The ship was never totally disabled.

I find it interesting that all of this conversation started because the Elation missed a port (Calica). Cruises to private islands in the Bahamas miss nearly 50% of the time during this time of the year(bad weather time). Does it really matter if it is weather or mechanical issues? Not really. Airlines cancel flights all of the time because of mechanical issues. If this happened to cause to you miss a cruise because you had to take the next flight, do you think the airlines will pay for your lost cruise? No way!!!! Will they refund your flight? Maybe, only if you don't go at all. When a cruise misses a port, you are still traveling and still eating and still sleeping and still out of the bad weather at home (and not sleeping in an airport).

It has nothing to do with missing Calica..had that been the only problem maybe it would be a easier pill to swallow. They were not very forthcoming in their times of arrivals, waited until we were finalla at port in Cozumel to announce that we were not going to Calica. They knew that before we finally ported about 2pm ish I'm sure. The didnt even tell us when we were getting to Cozumel until after 1030 and that was after the 930 announcement saying we were going to be late to Cozumel. Just tell the damn truth.....

I was on this cruise, too. I do think they were not entirely honest with us - they claimed the late start was due to "routine maintenance". Then the engine/propeller/whatever caused problems, and some crew members told us they were not surprised, as Elation has been having ongoing problems. So, I do not think they were being upfront. I am not upset with the $72 refund, I know things happen. They didn't have to give us anything but the $22 port fees. And the crummy weather was not Carnival's fault. The staff were great, the food was good, we had fun. But we were SO disappointed to miss Calica; we had booked a tour to Tulum that we were SO looking forward to. So quit beating up the folks who were upset; they have every right to be disappointed.

This is ECACTLY my beef..there were problems before we left..they knew it and then fed us BS for days..God forbid they tell the damn truth..the lack of transparency was atrocious..its all about the $$$$$$$$$$...they got plenty of mine by the way!! OH well..I won a medal, won 100$ on a pull tab, got some ships on a stick and alot of fun in Gatsbys bar to tell stories about!!..Im still ticked about Carnivals lack of communication.

Uh-oh! I though N2 was a banned word. You are skating on thin ice, mister :mad: Is that what happened to him? He was tossed overboard?

That's the problem with us Canadians, we are so used to the cold we always think the ice is thick enough to tread onto ...:o

Archived