Carnival changed our reservation and itinerary!!

SanKay

We have cruised many times, but this will be our first on Carnival. We booked and paid in full a year in advance. Just logged on to the Carnival website and noticed that our Anytime dining has been changed to late seating and our first port of San Juan has been removed. I think I'm more upset about our dining being moved when I know we were confirmed for Anytime.:eek: As far as missing San Juan....well, we won't let that ruin our trip. We'll still have a blast, I'm sure.

I hope this is not business as usual for Carnival, though.

We have cruised many times, but this will be our first on Carnival. We booked and paid in full a year in advance. Just logged on to the Carnival website and noticed that our Anytime dining has been changed to late seating and our first port of San Juan has been removed. I think I'm more upset about our dining being moved when I know we were confirmed for Anytime.:eek: As far as missing San Juan....well, we won't let that ruin our trip. We'll still have a blast, I'm sure.

I don't know why your Anytime dining was changed, especially since it was confirmed over a year ago. If you booked directly thru Carnival, I'd be giving them a call; if you booked thru a travel agency, I'd try having them getting it changed back. As Fire said, you could probably get it changed once on board, but I wouldn't want to wait. I just returned yesterday from the Miracle and had Anytime dining, which is great, having that flexibility, of when you want to eat. Good luck, and let us know what happens.

I agree that you should not just wait until you are on board to try to get your Anytime Dining back!!

IF you are part of a large group then Anytime is not really geared for that but if you are a couple or a family of 4 then I'd call Carnival right away!

The San Juan port must be being renovated because I read there was some structure that made it hard for all of the ships to dock there. Many ships dock there on the same day. San Juan is no big deal. I have been there many times.

I would for sure tel Carnival Managers that your dinning time was changed. I hope you have a travel agent because they can do a better fight for you because they have PROOF.

Do you have a written confirmation of anytime dinning when you first booked?

The San Juan port must be being renovated because I read there was some structure that made it hard for all of the ships to dock there. Many ships dock there on the same day. San Juan is no big deal. I have been there many times.

Whether you like or dislike SJ doesn't matter; the OP paid for a cruise with SJ, paid port fees and is not getting it- that's what counts.I was looking forward to doing some night time snorkeling in SJ until the CCL bean counters said to cut SJ out.

CCL is cutting out SJ for one reason- to make $ and save $. They make $ by keeping cruisers captive for another day at sea and keeping port fees, they save even more $ using less fuel. "Logistics" has nothing at all to do with, CCL could easily extend the time at other ports, or add a port, but with less ports, ships can travel slower. Those who disagree and think that port stops can't be arranged easily should explain how ships can totally change ports with a days notice when a hurricane is looming.

After dropping SJ, CCL felt emboldened to cut Half Moon Cay. Bait and switch is the new cost cutting measure.

Whether you like or dislike SJ doesn't matter; the OP paid for a cruise with SJ, paid port fees and is not getting it- that's what counts.I was looking forward to doing some night time snorkeling in SJ until the CCL bean counters said to cut SJ out.

CCL is cutting out SJ for one reason- to make $ and save $. They make $ by keeping cruisers captive for another day at sea and keeping port fees, they save even more $ using less fuel. "Logistics" has nothing at all to do with, CCL could easily extend the time at other ports, or add a port, but with less ports, ships can travel slower. Those who disagree and think that port stops can't be arranged easily should explain how ships can totally change ports with a days notice when a hurricane is looming.

After dropping SJ, CCL felt emboldened to cut Half Moon Cay. Bait and switch is the new cost cutting measure.

I understand what you're saying, but itineraries change all the time. The only sure-fire way to get to a certain port is to fly there, not cruise there.

I understand what you're saying, but itineraries change all the time.

Not true. Dropping of ports is no very common, when compared to the number of cruises that DON'T drop ports. When ports are dropped, it is because of circumstances beyond the control of the cruise line and happens close to the time ship is to port.

Examples of this include:

1) weather (storms or conditions that prevent tendering, or destruction of a port area)

2) mechanical failure

3) Civil/political unrest

4) disease (like the swine flu)

The dropping of San Juan and Half Moon Cay have absolutely nothing to do with anything beyond CCL's control. This is an important difference- it has been done only to save CCL money. No one has posted anything that can refute the fact that this CCL bait and switch is purely done to boost profit while cheating the cruiser. They call this a "test", what that means is that want to see how much cruisers care about actually making it to port. If people don't mind, look for an expansion of port stops being canceled "due to logistical reasons".

The only sure-fire way to get to a certain port is to fly there, not cruise there.

That is a truly lame thing to say- if you booked an airline ticket from your home town to Los Angles International airport and later on the airline decides that it is cheaper to fly into far away Ontario Airport, would you be ok with that? I mean hey, if you wanted be to certain to get there, shouldn't you have driven 2000 miles in your car?

BTW, can you tell me how I can fly to Half Moon Cay and spend the day there? I'd really like to know as I was not aware that they had an airport.

N

Agree with other posters and get this resolved as soon as possible through the appropriate channels. Hope you can get this resolved to your satisfaction.

This is pure speculation on your part. I have been on 10 cruises hasn't happened to me yet, besides missing coco cay because we couldn't tender due to very rough seas.

The dropping of San Juan and Half Moon Cay have absolutely nothing to do with anything beyond CCL's control. This is an important difference- it has been done only to save CCL money. No one has posted anything that can refute the fact that this CCL bait and switch is purely done to boost profit while cheating the cruiser. They call this a "test", what that means is that want to see how much cruisers care about actually making it to port. If people don't mind, look for an expansion of port stops being canceled "due to logistical reasons".

San Juan is being dropped from a number of itineraries because of dock renovations. Unfortunately, it will affect a certain number of cruises. it is NOT due to any budgetary reasons and is not in the same category as the dropping of HMC (which I'm not going to argue the good or bad of - I'm just pointing out that they are not happening for different reasons).

We had our dining time switched on our Valor cruise. I believe we were supposed to do 6:15 and they changed us to 5:45. We didn't realize it until we were already on the gangway and I happened to look at my S & S card. I booked the cruise at least 6 months prior and was confirmed for the 6:15 time. Since the switch was only 30 minutes earlier, I didn't worry about it. But you know, it did prevent me from being able to watch us leave port a couple times, which is one of my favorite things to do. On the flip side, the earlier time meant we made lifetime friends with our tablemates that we would've never met if they didn't change our seating time.

As for San Juan, what time were you scheduled to arrive before they dropped it? For what it's worth, if you were arriving at 6pm or something like that, I can tell you that there's not much to do by then. There is some nightlife, but the forts are closed and walking deep into the city after dark is not very comfortable for many of us. Most of the retail shops are also closed by 7 or 8pm.

I agree with one of the other posters, they should at least go somewhere else rather than simply spend another day at sea. As much as I like sea days, port days are also important.

No matter what, you have the right attitude. Not enough reason to ruin your trip.

OP, dining is not "reserved" when booking for any Carnival cruise except for Platinum and above cruisers.

When you make your booking, they note your request for a dining time but if there are a large number of Platinum cruisers that book after you and also request anytime dining then you will get bumped to the set time dining hours.

I would suggest that you speak with the Maitre'd when you board and see if he can accommodate your request but there is a good chance that anytime dining is full.

There is only a small area apportioned in the dining room for anytime dining.

San Juan is being dropped from a number of itineraries because of dock renovations. Unfortunately, it will affect a certain number of cruises. it is NOT due to any budgetary reasons and is not in the same category as the dropping of HMC (which I'm not going to argue the good or bad of - I'm just pointing out that they are not happening for different reasons).

You need to put down your pom poms and face the facts:

1) There is no credible evidence that ANY construction is going on at the dock to prevent the ship from docking.You are merely reciting CCL pom pom propaganda

2)The dates of cancelled visits are inconsistent with construction work, they are not consectutive! They are: 3/26, 4/23, 5/21, and 6/18. HMC is being cancelled once a month to save money, "logistical reasons". Just like the HMC being cancelled, SJ is being cancelled once a month!!!! In addition, the same reason is given- "logistical reasons"! Wait, there is more- in both cases THERE IS NO REPLACEMENT PORT!!! Can you explain that? Can you also explain why they are not extending the stays at remaining port stops? All logic points to the obvious, so obvious- cost cutting, to save money.

The reasons for dropping HMC and SJ are identical, if you are objective and look at the similarities, it really should be obvious. Anyone thinking of a booking a cruise with four stops should be aware that CCL could drop one of them

Carnival doesn't keep port fees if the ship does not call in the port that they collected the fee for. They will refund it to you. When this has happened to us, it has been credited on our shipboard account.

Dining preferences are always "on request." Assignments are made shortly before sail date. The maitre de will likely help you out though if you want to switch. Visit him and request your preference when you get on the ship.

Anytime Dining is very popular and Carnival typically has way more request it than they can accomodate. Platinum cruisers are the only ones that are "guaranteed" their dining preference. (But as we all know, things happen in the cruising world.)

Many people think that service is better for the early and late dining times than it is in the Anytime Dining if that makes you feel any better.

Our itinerary has been changed for two of our last three cruises due to weather. It isn't that uncommon for that to happen.

Knowing what to expect is important to understanding your cruise experience. Read your cruise contract for details--the one that you accept when you complete your funpass thingy. Things are spelled out in there.

Hope you enjoy your cruise. :-)

OP, dining is not "reserved" when booking for any Carnival cruise except for Platinum and above cruisers.

When you make your booking, they note your request for a dining time but if there are a large number of Platinum cruisers that book after you and also request anytime dining then you will get bumped to the set time dining hours.

I would suggest that you speak with the Maitre'd when you board and see if he can accommodate your request but there is a good chance that anytime dining is full.

There is only a small area apportioned in the dining room for anytime dining.

You are incorrect. Carnival changed the way dining is reserved about a year ago, but the myth continues. Dining is now reserved and confirmed at the time of booking. The only reason that it would change if you request the change or if you get bumped out by someone who is platinum.

From the Carnival FAQ's on the website:

Q: Can I make reservations in the Dining Room?

A: Dining preferences (early or late; traveling companions) can be requested by the travel agent or guest at the time of booking. No requests are guaranteed and all are subject to availability. By popular request, all dining rooms are smoke-free.

Table size, the table number and dining time will be confirmed upon boarding the ship.

Confirmed Dining:

At time of booking, Carnival guests will be able to confirm their preferred dining choice. If their preference is not available, they may confirm an alternate choice and be waitlisted for their preferred choice. Waitlists will be cleared prior to sailing and guests will be notified by email.

Your Time Dining is available on select ships in our fleet. Click here for more information.

Q: What is confirmed dining and what are the dining times?

A: At time of booking, Carnival guests will be able to confirm their preferred dining choice. If their preference is not available, they may confirm an alternate choice and be waitlisted for their preferred choice. Waitlists will be cleared prior to the sailing and guests will be notified by email. Parties traveling together who are waitlisted will be cleared for the same dining time.

Lunch and dinner are also available bistro-style on the Lido Deck. Spirit-class, Conquest-class, Carnival Splendor as well as the Dream-class ships have the added convenience of a reservations-recommended steakhouse (nominal $30 fee per person will apply).

By popular request, all dining rooms are now smoke-free.

Breakfast & Lunch

Breakfast: 7:45 AM - 9:00 AM

Lunch: Noon – 1:30 PM

For breakfast and lunch, the main dining rooms are organized as "open seating," where you may come and go as you please during the set hours and are not obligated to sit at your assigned table.

Breakfast times vary by ship; the times above are provided as a general guideline. Please check your daily Capers for exact times. You can also enjoy a continental breakfast in your stateroom until 10:00 AM or a limited breakfast menu on deck.

Dinner

Early Seating: 6:00 PM

Late Seating: 8:15 PM

*Your Time: 5:45 to 9:30 PM

*Prefer a little flexibility? No reservations required. Your Time dining allows you to dine in the main dining room, at your leisure, anytime between 5:45 p.m. and 9:30 p.m. Guests are seated first-come, first-serve, depending on party size. In most cases, guests are accommodated within 20 minutes. However, pagers are provided if all tables are occupied so guests can relax elsewhere on the ship until their table is ready. Due to the limited number of large table availability, parties with greater than 10 guests may need to be accommodated at different tables.

Dining times are subject to change.

Dining preferences are always "on request." Assignments are made shortly before sail date. The maitre de will likely help you out though if you want to switch. Visit him and request your preference when you get on the ship.

:-)

If that's the case then they need to stop using the word "confirmed" on the reservation and use the words "on request."

Like the others, I suggest you proactively call now and request that it is changed back. There should be some perk for them having your money for a year.

You need to put down your pom poms and face the facts:

1) There is no credible evidence that ANY construction is going on at the dock to prevent the ship from docking.You are merely reciting CCL pom pom propaganda

2)The dates of cancelled visits are inconsistent with construction work, they are not consectutive! They are: 3/26, 4/23, 5/21, and 6/18. HMC is being cancelled once a month to save money, "logistical reasons". Just like the HMC being cancelled, SJ is being cancelled once a month!!!! In addition, the same reason is given- "logistical reasons"! Wait, there is more- in both cases THERE IS NO REPLACEMENT PORT!!! Can you explain that? Can you also explain why they are not extending the stays at remaining port stops? All logic points to the obvious, so obvious- cost cutting, to save money.

The reasons for dropping HMC and SJ are identical, if you are objective and look at the similarities, it really should be obvious. Anyone thinking of a booking a cruise with four stops should be aware that CCL could drop one of them

Deep breath and......exhale.

This is a vacation not a conspiracy theory. Relax.

From the Carnival FAQ's on the website:

Q: Can I make reservations in the Dining Room?

A: Dining preferences (early or late; traveling companions) can be requested by the travel agent or guest at the time of booking. No requests are guaranteed and all are subject to availability. By popular request, all dining rooms are smoke-free.

Table size, the table number and dining time will be confirmed upon boarding the ship.

Confirmed Dining:

At time of booking, Carnival guests will be able to confirm their preferred dining choice. If their preference is not available, they may confirm an alternate choice and be waitlisted for their preferred choice. Waitlists will be cleared prior to sailing and guests will be notified by email.

Your Time Dining is available on select ships in our fleet. Click here for more information.

Q: What is confirmed dining and what are the dining times?

A: At time of booking, Carnival guests will be able to confirm their preferred dining choice. If their preference is not available, they may confirm an alternate choice and be waitlisted for their preferred choice. Waitlists will be cleared prior to the sailing and guests will be notified by email. Parties traveling together who are waitlisted will be cleared for the same dining time.

Lunch and dinner are also available bistro-style on the Lido Deck. Spirit-class, Conquest-class, Carnival Splendor as well as the Dream-class ships have the added convenience of a reservations-recommended steakhouse (nominal $30 fee per person will apply).

By popular request, all dining rooms are now smoke-free.

Breakfast & Lunch

Breakfast: 7:45 AM - 9:00 AM

Lunch: Noon – 1:30 PM

For breakfast and lunch, the main dining rooms are organized as "open seating," where you may come and go as you please during the set hours and are not obligated to sit at your assigned table.

Breakfast times vary by ship; the times above are provided as a general guideline. Please check your daily Capers for exact times. You can also enjoy a continental breakfast in your stateroom until 10:00 AM or a limited breakfast menu on deck.

Dinner

Early Seating: 6:00 PM

Late Seating: 8:15 PM

*Your Time: 5:45 to 9:30 PM

*Prefer a little flexibility? No reservations required. Your Time dining allows you to dine in the main dining room, at your leisure, anytime between 5:45 p.m. and 9:30 p.m. Guests are seated first-come, first-serve, depending on party size. In most cases, guests are accommodated within 20 minutes. However, pagers are provided if all tables are occupied so guests can relax elsewhere on the ship until their table is ready. Due to the limited number of large table availability, parties with greater than 10 guests may need to be accommodated at different tables.

Dining times are subject to change.

Did you read down a little further? I believe what I have bolded is what zqvol was referring to.

Did you read down a little further? I believe what I have bolded is what zqvol was referring to.

You know, that's the funy thing. What zqvol posted was exactly what I had posted in my earlier post except he stated it in different wording.

I believe we are stating the same facts only in a different way. :)

I posted the Carnival FAQ's information so that the OP would have Carnivals word on the subject.

Archived