Carnival changed our reservation and itinerary!!

SanKay

This happened to us once. We were not told of the change from early to late seating until we checked in at the pier. We were told to go directly to the dinning room and request a change. Went to MDR and was told "No way Jose". We then told them we would eat all our meals at the buffet and would not pay for grantuties for using the MDR. This was a lie as we wouldn't do that but it worked. By the time we returned to our cabin we had a message that said we were on early sitting.

Thanks for the info everyone. I'll contact our travel agent and if that doesn't work I'll try to switch it once we board. If all else fails, well...I'll still eat and enjoy myself. ;) Just the combination of missing a port and then eating that late was somewhat irritating.

The San Juan port must be being renovated because I read there was some structure that made it hard for all of the ships to dock there. Many ships dock there on the same day. San Juan is no big deal. I have been there many times.

I would for sure tel Carnival Managers that your dinning time was changed. I hope you have a travel agent because they can do a better fight for you because they have PROOF.

Do you have a written confirmation of anytime dinning when you first booked?

I totally disagree SAN JUAN is our favorite port to leave from so much to do and see most stops there dont give u time to see anything

:p

We've had a port change 3 times now, have our 7th cruise booked and they just changed it.

We specifically booked this cruise for Jamaica, which they dropped. We now have Belize (will be our 3rd time there) and Roatan as replacements.

We're with a group, so they're happy that they get 4 ports instead of 3, but also upset over the loss of Jamaica.

It's a crapshoot sometimes. It took us 3 bookings to finally get to Costa Maya!

Not true. Dropping of ports is no very common, when compared to the number of cruises that DON'T drop ports. When ports are dropped, it is because of circumstances beyond the control of the cruise line and happens close to the time ship is to port.

Examples of this include:

1) weather (storms or conditions that prevent tendering, or destruction of a port area)

2) mechanical failure

3) Civil/political unrest

4) disease (like the swine flu)

The dropping of San Juan and Half Moon Cay have absolutely nothing to do with anything beyond CCL's control. This is an important difference- it has been done only to save CCL money. No one has posted anything that can refute the fact that this CCL bait and switch is purely done to boost profit while cheating the cruiser. They call this a "test", what that means is that want to see how much cruisers care about actually making it to port. If people don't mind, look for an expansion of port stops being canceled "due to logistical reasons".

That is a truly lame thing to say- if you booked an airline ticket from your home town to Los Angles International airport and later on the airline decides that it is cheaper to fly into far away Ontario Airport, would you be ok with that? I mean hey, if you wanted be to certain to get there, shouldn't you have driven 2000 miles in your car?

BTW, can you tell me how I can fly to Half Moon Cay and spend the day there? I'd really like to know as I was not aware that they had an airport.

N

There is nothing untrue in what I said. Itineraries DO change all the time for whatever reason. No where did I say that ports are DROPPED more frequently than they're NOT dropped -- that was totally part of YOUR tirade, not anything I said.

Call me lame all you want, but the OP was talking about San Juan, not Half Moon Cay (obviously something YOU are ticked off about though). Does your airline ticket contract say they can take you somewhere other than where you've booked your flight for? Probablly not. Have you read a cruise contract lately??

I certainly understand the OP isn't getting what she thought she was getting, but I've read here time and time again that cruise itineraries have changed (either before or during the cruise). People have planned weddings in ports where their ships were scheduled to stop and the ship doesn't always make the port. That's all was talking about in my post. Certainly nothing to get yourself so worked up over.

You need to put down your pom poms and face the facts:

1) There is no credible evidence that ANY construction is going on at the dock to prevent the ship from docking.You are merely reciting CCL pom pom propaganda

2)The dates of cancelled visits are inconsistent with construction work, they are not consectutive! They are: 3/26, 4/23, 5/21, and 6/18. HMC is being cancelled once a month to save money, "logistical reasons". Just like the HMC being cancelled, SJ is being cancelled once a month!!!! In addition, the same reason is given- "logistical reasons"! Wait, there is more- in both cases THERE IS NO REPLACEMENT PORT!!! Can you explain that? Can you also explain why they are not extending the stays at remaining port stops? All logic points to the obvious, so obvious- cost cutting, to save money.

FYI............If you are looking at the Carnival Freedom cruise that dropped San Juan....it is only offered ONCE a MONTH on the 8 day eastern intinerary. So this IS every cruise march thru june.

1) There is no credible evidence that ANY construction is going on at the dock to prevent the ship from docking.You are merely reciting CCL pom pom propaganda

2)The dates of cancelled visits are inconsistent with construction work, they are not consectutive! They are: 3/26, 4/23, 5/21, and 6/18. HMC is being cancelled once a month to save money, "logistical reasons". Just like the HMC being cancelled, SJ is being cancelled once a month!!!! In addition, the same reason is given- "logistical reasons"! Wait, there is more- in both cases THERE IS NO REPLACEMENT PORT!!! Can you explain that? Can you also explain why they are not extending the stays at remaining port stops? All logic points to the obvious, so obvious- cost cutting, to save money.

The reasons for dropping HMC and SJ are identical, if you are objective and look at the similarities, it really should be obvious. Anyone thinking of a booking a cruise with four stops should be aware that CCL could drop one of them

I've been looking to book a cruise - one that stops at Half Moon Cay and San Juan. Now Carnival is saying they are TESTING not going there,but they are still listing and SELLING cruises to these ports as -i.e., business as usual..... - now just so you know, I love the Carnival experience, but If I were to purchase a cruise for these ports only to be told, now" we weren't going there because of an (ahem) TEST", I would be a little upset, because I really expect Carnival to keep their contract as long as everything else is in place, (weather, ship conditions, etc.)

If they want to do a test do it on their own time with a TEST SHIP not on MY VACATION PLEASE - CARNIVAL CAN YOU HEAR ME!!!!!!!!! Thank you

I've been looking to book a cruise - one that stops at Half Moon Cay and San Juan. Now Carnival is saying they are TESTING not going there,but they are still listing and SELLING cruises to these ports as -i.e., business as usual..... - now just so you know, I love the Carnival experience, but If I were to purchase a cruise for these ports only to be told, now" we weren't going there because of an (ahem) TEST", I would be a little upset, because I really expect Carnival to keep their contract as long as everything else is in place, (weather, ship conditions, etc.)

If they want to do a test do it on their own time with a TEST SHIP not on MY VACATION PLEASE - CARNIVAL CAN YOU HEAR ME!!!!!!!!! Thank you

I was under the impression that HMC was carnival own island so how would they be saving money by not going there. That make money off the bars service and all shore tours so they would be giving up alot of money skipping it right. Maybe I am wrong I have only sailed carnival six times so I am no expert like some of you.

This happened to us once. We were not told of the change from early to late seating until we checked in at the pier. We were told to go directly to the dinning room and request a change. Went to MDR and was told "No way Jose". We then told them we would eat all our meals at the buffet and would not pay for grantuties for using the MDR. This was a lie as we wouldn't do that but it worked. By the time we returned to our cabin we had a message that said we were on early sitting.

I can guarantee that your "threat" to remove gratuities had nothing to do with your eventually getting the requested dining time.

Waitlists are cleared all the time.

Too many people remove tips or threaten to do so when they get their nose out of joint.

That is more than likely a yawner......

FYI............If you are looking at the Carnival Freedom cruise that dropped San Juan....it is only offered ONCE a MONTH on the 8 day eastern intinerary. So this IS every cruise march thru june.

So, you work closely with the folks who are doing construction there...and are privvy to the scheduling, hm?

You are right: It's all one huge consiracy perpetrated by Carnival in order to displease their clients, ruin your cruise, make their customers grumpy. That's Carnival's business model......lie, cheat, steal, obvuscate and conspire to ruin everyones cruise.....

Your position with the contruction company gives you access to this secret and hidden policy, no doubt.

FYI: The entire port of San Juan is being renovated, updated, piers and drydock expanded, much dredging and moving heavy equipment in and out.

They coincided the work this year to purposely disrupt cruises....working with Carnival, of course...who personally picked the dates.

Whether you like or dislike SJ doesn't matter; the OP paid for a cruise with SJ, paid port fees and is not getting it- that's what counts.I was looking forward to doing some night time snorkeling in SJ until the CCL bean counters said to cut SJ out.

CCL is cutting out SJ for one reason- to make $ and save $. They make $ by keeping cruisers captive for another day at sea and keeping port fees, they save even more $ using less fuel. "Logistics" has nothing at all to do with, CCL could easily extend the time at other ports, or add a port, but with less ports, ships can travel slower. Those who disagree and think that port stops can't be arranged easily should explain how ships can totally change ports with a days notice when a hurricane is looming.

After dropping SJ, CCL felt emboldened to cut Half Moon Cay. Bait and switch is the new cost cutting measure.

This does not deserve a response.

1. SanJuan is under construction. It's even been reported in some Florida news papers.

2. CCL makes more money on excursions than you would believe. They cost almost twice as much as the private ones.

3. Never cruise on any line for the ports. They can always be missed.

4. Dinning times are/were never confimed except for platinum. Before we were platinum we have had many dinning times changed from what we requested. We were always able to change them back.

Lynda

Archived