how scary is helicopter vs float plane

fourcats

My husband would really like to do one of the float plane trips and the dog sled helicopter trip. I am not a ride person ie dont even like a ferris wheel. Do you feel a lot of movement on the helicopter and float planes Would love some feed back especially from someone who was hesitant to go and enjoyed it after all. Thanks

My husband would really like to do one of the float plane trips and the dog sled helicopter trip. I am not a ride person ie dont even like a ferris wheel. Do you feel a lot of movement on the helicopter and float planes Would love some feed back especially from someone who was hesitant to go and enjoyed it after all. Thanks

In Alaska I did not go on either as I just couldn't get up the courage. My sister did the floatplane in Ketchikan. She said she did fine for most of it, but toward the end was getting queasy, but she didn't up her cookies ;).

Two years later we went to Hawaii and all of us did a helicopter tour there. My DD guilted me into it. It was amazing!!! None of us had any issues getting queasy, but I am sure sometimes it happens. We were on a cruise and I had been on Bonine, so perhaps that helped. However, no one on our tour got motion sick. I would recommend you take something for motion sickness prior to each trip since you are concerned. If your doctor approves, I would also take ginger root capsules and take a couple before you board the plane and helicopter. If you get queasy along the way, take two more. They are my miracle drug for motion sickness. Had to use them on the Kenai Fjords tour in Seward. Boy did they do the trick!! And I was already on Bonine for that tour too.

I too was guilted into a floatplane trip by my travel partners. It was incredible! I wouldn't hesitate to do it again. You get an entirely different perpective on the beauty of the land and the vastness of it all. One of our group had done 3 helicopter tours before and she thought the plane ride was more stable. A helicopter seems so flimsy to me. No one has guilted me into one yet!

A helicopter seems so flimsy to me. No one has guilted me into one yet!

I think there is a difference is types of helicopters and how smooth they are. I believe wind conditions also affect the ride. All I can say is the helicopter ride we took in Kauai was so smooth. I never felt scared or uneasy. Even when the pilot did those swooping turns, it was smooth as glass. Never felt my stomach turn. :D

I have done both the helicopter and the floatplane.

Neither was scary, but the floatplane was VERRRRYYYYY smooth. Could barely tell that we had taken off!

They are both awesome and amazing.

But, if you are nervous, I would recommend the floatplane.

IMHO if you fly and aren't afraid both are okay provided weather is calm that day. Not that they fly when its really rough.

The views really are spectacular and the only way to see them is from the air.

You mention dog sledding / helicopter, that is a great excursion but be aware that they fly pretty high up on the ice to where there is snow so it can be canceled often due to clouds and poor visability so if you schedule that also have a backup plan.

I have done both multiple times, and do so every trip. No one can "talk" you into going, because, THEY overcame a fear. I've flown with some terified people and it was not pretty. IF you can't get past it, then split up. There are plenty of touring opportunities that singles can enjoy. I don't hold anyone back, nor do they do so with me.

I've had to fly in both in Alaska as required for my job. It got to the point that I was advised to take some flying lessons to understand what was going on and how things worked.

I did and it really helped with my nerves.

You need to know that it is always possible to hit rough bits of weather and flying conditions. No one can promise you a perfect ride.

That said I don't do flight seeing due to the cost and the major fact that I'm spoiled in having had to many chances to fly at no personal expense.

If you don't want to fly, then don't. Let the husband fly and go do something else.

I fly full time in my job and very prone to motion-sickness....

The helicopter ride is far more smooth experience and connivence ride as it can land almost anywhere. Since you can fly at lower altitudes, you may get to see more. The airplane appears to have more turbulence and has to have a landing strip or in your case a fairly large water strip. Then you have to water taxi to the dock to disembark. You also have to fly at higher altitudes... However, the view will still be breathtaking.

Hope this helps :)

I have done two heli tours and one float plane. The first heli trip was in Alaska and second one in Hawaii. Even tho the heli tour was my idea, I was white-knuckling it for the first few minutes of the ride. I was have a PSTD experience due to a bad adventure in a private plane in the Santana winds :eek:.

Once I learned that helicopters don't respond to wind shear I calmed down and loved it. In fact a year later took my mother on the heli tour of the volcano on the Big Island. It was her turn to freak out for the first few minutes. She was thinking that the helicopter was going to do an "Airwolf" manuever. Once she realized that the pilot didn't have afterburner capacity or wasn't going to do anything crazy she loved it. In fact she spent part of the trip trying to figure out how to throw the rest of us overboard so she could fly off with the cute pilot. :p

My float plane experience was more of a seaplane trip from Long Beach to Catalina Island. My friend booked the trip thinking that we were going to land at the airport. During the flight , she "discovered" that we were going to "land" in the water, she kinda freaked. I was all for it, so I just told her to get a grip, and that it wasn't going to change anything. She was nervous the rest of the trip, but managed to "survive" the landing. I would do it again in a heart beat. In fact I am seriously considering Misty Fjords floatplane as our big adventure for our Alaska cruise this summer.

Archived