RCI/X tries NCL- NCL SUN Jan 8th Pre Dry Dock Cruise

rothjer

WE LOVED IT !!!!!

Not really into writing a whole review right now, however, all in all it was a great cruise.

We were dead set on RCI/X until this cruise!!!

Service; attentive, personable, but not over the top. They do however, get the job done and do it with a smile. Bar staff was too pushy, they did not like to be called over for a soda refill with the soda package- got a few eye rolls in the MDR and on the pool deck.

Room: needs a facelift, but was still clean, balcony was large, didn't like the bright blue flooring- not sure what its called, never seen it before. Stewards were amazing, and made some really cute towel art.

Food- AMAZING, we could not stop talking about it. We dined in 4 seasons most days for lunch and dinner. Loved that the menu was the same for lunch every day. Breakfast we had in the 7 seas. Did not venture into the buffet at all! Service was always quick in the dining rooms, and was always tasty, buffet seemed way too cramped for us. We loved that the food was simple, well cooked, and fresh. Somtimes on X you would read something that sounded all froo-froo but didn't deliver on taste and quality. NCL was the opposite, it was always good, fresh, and simple. I loved that I could dine in shorts and a t-shirt, although the ship was rather cold, so a sweater was necessary. We would even hazard to say that we liked the food more than our 11 nights on Summit in October. We tried ginza, and did not like it very much- was not up to the same standard as we were used to on shore. We did the murder mystery night, and found it to be ok, but the food was amazing. Sports bar had the best wings ive ever had in my whole life!

Ports of call- simple , standard, etc.

Entertainment- Elvy was amazing, rest of the shows needed improvement.

Fellow passengers- definatly more blue collar than on X, but it was nice, no pretentious conversations, and nobody was out to please anyone else. It was a nice change from the ordinary. Not too many children at all, average age was well above 55. We went from stroller city in Disney, to walker/scooter city on the Sun !

Condition of the ship- it looks it age, but really, you couldn't tell that it was going into dry dock; everything was clean, presentable, albiet a little worn and tired. Im sure the dry dock will take care of these things.

Emb/Disemb: Embarkation took us a total of 15 minutes from door to door, nice and quick. Disembark was delayed, we chose to walk off at 8:45am and they were still not calling colored luggage tags, we are also delayed on the promenade deck for 15 minutes waiting in line. Best part was not immigration- we all passed immigration in Key West !

Any other q's, feel free to ask !

Glad you had a good time on the Sun.

I have to admit the Sun is probably our favorite NCL ship and we also thought the food was great. Sometimes we can be very critical going from one cruise line to another, but it seems you adjusted well. I think you did a nice job in your comparison and I love your attitude towards the trivial things (condition of ship before dry dock). I'm looking forward to sailing the Sun again after the dry dock.

P.S. The Sports Bar is our all-time favorite snack place on any NCL ship!

I was on the cruise right before you and I agree that the ship has been kept up very well. There was one stair that was loose going down to the reception area but all in all the ship was in great shape. Since she was my very first cruise she will always hold a special place and I hope to cruise on her again in the future.

I was on the cruise right before you and I agree that the ship has been kept up very well. There was one stair that was loose going down to the reception area but all in all the ship was in great shape. Since she was my very first cruise she will always hold a special place and I hope to cruise on her again in the future.

I have yet to see an NCL ship that was not kept up well. I can remember cruising the Sea just befoe (about 6 months) she was leaving the fleet. Yes, her bedsprends and linens were anything but new and yet, the ship was spotless.

Nita

Archived