Boarding time

Iain1873

Hi (again)

Our info tells us that boarding begins from 2pm and closes at 3.45pm , is this correct , seems a short space of time to board approx 3000 passengers ??

We will be driving to Southampton from Glasgow and are hoping to arrive around mid-day , if this is the case will we need to wait for a couple hours before being allowed to board ??

Thanks

Hi (again)

Our info tells us that boarding begins from 2pm and closes at 3.45pm , is this correct , seems a short space of time to board approx 3000 passengers ??

We will be driving to Southampton from Glasgow and are hoping to arrive around mid-day , if this is the case will we need to wait for a couple hours before being allowed to board ??

Thanks

They start boarding at around 12.30 and issue coded passes on a first come first served basis as you enter the depature hall so you will be fine. We always get there at about 12 too. Normally takes 30 to 60 minutes to board then straight to the buffet! If you are parking with CPS this can sometimes be a little slow so better early than late in my opinion.

Hi (again)

Thanks

2pm is the boarding time they have given you, and they are saying last time for boarding is 3.45. On a cruise we have booked we have been told to arrive at 3.30 and final boarding is at 3.45! In practice they start boarding from around noon and what happens is they give you a card when you arrive and you take a seat until called. They give people boarding times to try and stagger things so not everyone arrives at one. It you turn up at noon you'll be given a card and the boarding happens in sequence of arrival at the terminal (not the boarding time they gave you).

I get there at 11.30 and that gives me 30 mins to park the car and get luggage out etc etc...then in queue around 12!! Loads of people there already...and yes boarding starts around 12.30.

I too travel from Scotland ......give yourself plenty of time to get there and don't rush......so I leave early and have a few stops.....thank goodness for Sat Navs as well!! Have a great cruise!!

Ignore the boarding time - get there for 12ish and you'll be sorted - you'll miss the coaches, have an early lunch in the buffet and be having your first drink on deck while everyone else arrives!

Rowhnams services is the final one before the port, it's about 20 minutes drive and always busy with people going on cruises.

I agree, on our last few cruises, we have been on board and eating lunch by 12.10pm.

Arrive around 11.30am.

I go along with that :D

Took my daughter and son in law to Mayflower for Arcadia's Worldie and they wanted to arrive later. We arrived at Mayflower at about 2.40 :(:eek: Queues out of the door and coaches turning up :( but they had a Suite and got straight in. I returned to the IOW on the next ferry and telephoned them at 3.00pm and they were in Security. :D

Mike

Thanks for all the advice - Soap Dodger , how long did it take you to travel down , i'm just north of Glasgow , i was budgeting about 8 hours incl stops - would that be about right ?

A few years back I was invited to look over and cruise on H.M.S.Vanguard. I came ashore in the evening and was accommodated at H.M.S.Neptune the Naval Base overnight.

I left the base at 7.30 and 'motored'. I caught the 3.30 ferry at Portsmouth.

I was by myself and only made 'stops for nature'.

I would allow 10 hours for a comfortable ride with stops or even travel the day before and stay partway.

Mike

Iain 1873......yes, about 8/9 hours with a stop or 2!!! Travelling overnight from the Central belt the roads are usually pretty quiet and so you can get on well - keeping within the speed limit of course (lol)!!!

Keep listening to radio for traffic info......going down is ok as you are all excited....it is the coming back!!! Argh!!! It is so slow and boring as you think what a wonderful time you have had as you travel the long distance home - happy and sad at the same time!!!

My advice is to get on board and have a nap when you get into your cabin before the safety drill......you will be tired! Mind you, perhaps you will have a full day and then collapse into your comfy bed at night and sleep like a log!!! Great fun!!

thanks again for all the replies , think we'll leave on the Friday night and book a travelodge or similar just past Birmingham and set off nice and refreshed on the Sat morning so i don't have to waste valuable time snoozing while i could be exploring and perhaps (just perhaps) having a well earned beer or two :D

thanks again for all the replies , think we'll leave on the Friday night and book a travelodge or similar just past Birmingham and set off nice and refreshed on the Sat morning so i don't have to waste valuable time snoozing while i could be exploring and perhaps (just perhaps) having a well earned beer or two :D

Did you look at flights from Glasgow Iain? My daughter lives in Paisley and always flies to London for far less cost than she can drive. Not sure if you can fly Glasgow to Southampton?

Thanks for all the advice - Soap Dodger , how long did it take you to travel down , i'm just north of Glasgow , i was budgeting about 8 hours incl stops - would that be about right ?

It takes between 7 and 7.5 hrs driving time from the Central Belt. That included the roadworks near Haggs last October.

You may want to budget slightly longer depending on how long stops you like.

We always aim to be round Birmingham before the evening rush the night before tsailing and generally arrive in Soton around 5.

Its an easy, if boring run.

Archived