Tube/Train from Heathrow to Dover??

clueless2

I've been researching various ways to get from Heathrow to Dover. We arrive the day before the cruise and have booked a room at Premier Inn Central in Dover. The flight arrives at Terminal 1 at 6:25am on a Sunday morning. We'll probably have 2 pieces of checked luggage, one carry on luggage and 2 personal items (purse and small backpack).

To those locals or veteran British travellers, how does this look. Tube to STP. Train from STP to Dover. Both are direct. Any comments, things to look out for or better options?

This is for a Sunday morning in March (the latest the web site went to) so I assume the schedule could change.

Leaving From To Arriving

07:56 Heathrow Underground St Pancras International [sTP] 09:10

09:10 St Pancras International [sTP] Dover Priory [DVP] 10:20

Taxi from Dover Priory to hotel.

Tube to STP. Train from STP to Dover.
It's as good a plan as any, provided that you can lift and carry (or wheel) all your luggage in one go without having to shuttle backwards and forwards. With the amount you describe, it sounds likely that you'll be fine with that. Kings Cross St Pancras now has (imperfect) step-free access, so you shouldn't be needing to carry your luggage up and down stairs.

A word of warning: Few people see, let alone use, the three letter National Rail station codes. Better to spell it out.

Don't work on the basis that the Tube has a schedule. It does, sort of, but it is unpublished and for internal use only because publicly the only thing they can realistically do is run a "metro" service - ie the next train comes when it comes.

Sounds like a good plan. You can always refer to the Transport for London Journey Planner which gives both timetables and live service updates (plus advanced warning of engineering works).

Be warned, at the moment London Transport are closing different stations and sections of line every weekend for planned maintenance work. That may impact your route on the tube but the journey planner will offer alternatives should this be the case.

Thank you for your responses. We'll probably do this as it is quite a bit cheaper than a private car!

We'll also probably take the train back (with a taxi to the hotel) as we are spending a few nights in London post cruise (our first visit to anywhere in Europe by they way).

I am planning the same trek for July. Same hotel. I think I am leaning toward the coach from Heathrow to Victoria Station and on to Dover. It doesn't have a lot of supportera on this board but I think it will work for us. It is longer but I htink it sounds easier with luggage. I am having more trouble deciding how to return. I need to decide fairly soon when to book my flight back to the states. I think my choices will be a 3 p.m. flight or the next morning. Don't really know what we would do the extra night. I did just see a post that there is somewhere to leave luggage at Victoria Station. Would it make sense to drop luggage for a few hours, do some sightseeing and then head out to Heathrow. I think our flight would be early a.m.

So many decisions!

The fast most regular service (at a premium fare) from London to Dover goes from St. Pancras International station (Kings Cross underground station). Most of the way this shares the high speed track used by the international services via the Channel tunnel.

The underground line from Heathrow goes direct to Kings Cross. There is a lift for disabled passengers at Heathrow from the ticket office down to the platform level (I have used it myself). However, if you think that there might be problem with carrying luggage you can take a black taxi from the rank at Heathrow, or pre-book a licensed private hire car which might be cheaper.

The next best route is via Charing Cross station. This is a slow but cheaper service. Trains from Victoria are occasional, and may not run at all on Sundays. You can check at:

http://www.thetrainline.com

All three stations have a left luggage facility, at £8 per item for the first 24 hours.

Hope this helps.

Paul S

I think I am leaning toward the coach from Heathrow to Victoria Station and on to Dover. It doesn't have a lot of supportera on this board but I think it will work for us. It is longer but I htink it sounds easier with luggage.

Going by rail means the amount of lugagge you take is only limited by the amount you can carry personally onto the train.

Going by National Express the formal luggage allowance is 2 cases neither of which should weigh more than 20kg (44 1bs) which is probably below your flight allowance. You can't pay extra for excess baggage either.

You can take an item inside the passenger cabib but only laptop, handbag size not small cases like on a flight.

I am planning the same trek for July. Same hotel. I think I am leaning toward the coach from Heathrow to Victoria Station and on to Dover. It doesn't have a lot of supportera on this board but I think it will work for us. It is longer but I htink it sounds easier with luggage.

This would probably be more difficult with luggage, and here's why. Victoria Coach Station and Victoria Rail Station are not the same thing, and while nearby, there is a walk between the 2. Probably the for luggage would be either the Heathrow Express or Connect to Paddington (where there will be luggage carts waiting on the platform), then taxi to St. Pancras, then train to Dover (although I still like the tube-train combo described in the OP).

I am having more trouble deciding how to return. I need to decide fairly soon when to book my flight back to the states. I think my choices will be a 3 p.m. flight or the next morning. Don't really know what we would do the extra night. I did just see a post that there is somewhere to leave luggage at Victoria Station. Would it make sense to drop luggage for a few hours, do some sightseeing and then head out to Heathrow. I think our flight would be early a.m.

So many decisions!

You could also stay in the Paddington area and take the Heathrow Express back in the morning - probably just as fast as a taxi from a LHR hotel.

I think what garden girl means twickenham, is get the coach from LHR to Victoria coach station and change there to the coach to Dover. Now this in itself is a bit odd, as arrivals is one side of the road and departures is the other side , but its only a 100yd walk tops. There is a layout map on page 11 of this pdf http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloads/victoria-coach-station-information-for-customers.pdf

Simon

I think what garden girl means twickenham, is get the coach from LHR to Victoria coach station and change there to the coach to Dover.

Duh, of course! Much more logical... I must stop multi-tabbing when browsing the web...:rolleyes:;)

I'd still take the train.

I am planning the same trek for July. Same hotel. I think I am leaning toward the coach from Heathrow to Victoria Station and on to Dover. It doesn't have a lot of supportera on this board but I think it will work for us.

Not sure why you would say that, as many of us have taken the 'coach', National Express Bus, from Victoria Coach Station to Dover. Simply put, it is EXCELLENT way to go. It is so much cheaper, as you can probably hook onto it with one of their 'fun fares' which can go anywhere from 5pounds PP each way to even 1 pound PP each way. yes it is a bit longer trip, maybe 2 1/2 hours, but it is a pleasant ride that takes you thru some lovely scenery and gets you to Dover with plenty of time to spare. Yes you are only allowed 2 bags each, but unless they are really huge, and weigh a ton, no one will really care.

With the train, you will also need a taxi to get you from the train station in Dover to the crusie terminal. Same with the coach, but many times the coach driver will make a special stop right at the terminal (for a nice tip) and that make life a bit easier. Many of us have used the coach.

Cheers

Len

Thanks for the thoughts. Yes, I was thinking coach all the way through to Dover. I found it somewhere priced as a single ticket. I am happy to hear that someone has actually done the entire route. We have lots of time because we are coming in the day before and staying at the Premier Inn (that's what I have booked at the moment anyway unless that is a poor choice) I suppose it will be a taxi to the hotel and again to the pier. I haven't checked the Dover map again for locations. I plan to travel light. As much as I love formal nights, I think that attire is getting left home when heading to Norway.

Thanks also for the map link. I think we can cross the road and I like the idea of just stashing the luggage. I have only been on the train there a couple of times but I don't remember seeing much luggage space on either the tube or train.

Actually I am trying to convince my husband that a car rental would be perfect but I don't think he is going for it. We had a rental there before but someone else was driving.

I reviewed both links provided by sddsddean and they were very helpful. I think the coach will work and we will get a mini tour as well. As you can see, I am always a very optimistic person. The Victoria Station brochure is informative and there appears to be a stop at the Dover ferry which is near the hotel.

I see there is a senior rate. Anyone know if you have to be a resident?

I reviewed both links provided by sddsddean and they were very helpful. I think the coach will work and we will get a mini tour as well. As you can see, I am always a very optimistic person. The Victoria Station brochure is informative and there appears to be a stop at the Dover ferry which is near the hotel.

I see there is a senior rate. Anyone know if you have to be a resident?

I used the senior rate and saved a few extra pounds on the ticket. My DW was not yet 60, so she bought a regular fare. We could have bought the senior fare for her as no one really checks, but honesty is still the best policy.

Cheers

Len

Archived