Bringing Expensive Camera

Joe1028

I am an amateur photographer and have a passion for taking pictures. Am I stupid to bring my Nikon DSLR camera on the cruise? If I do bring it, will it fit in the room safe (Destiny)?

Bring it. You would hate to miss out on those great shots. I doubt it would fit in the safe, but it's possible if you take the lens off. I would just keep it in the bag and put it in a place not totally visible. I trust the room stewrds, just not the one or two dishonest fellow pax that might be walking by while your cabin is being cleaned.... Out of sight, out of mind. The do have a bigger safe at the pursers desk in case you are totally worried about it, but you would have very limited access to it.

I am an amateur photographer and have a passion for taking pictures. Am I stupid to bring my Nikon DSLR camera on the cruise? If I do bring it, will it fit in the room safe (Destiny)?

I bring my Nikon D50 on every cruise. I usually have it with me while walking around the ship so I can take pictures. When I don't, I leave it in the cabin, on the couch. I even take it on excursions and to the beach. I put the whole case (with the extra lens and flash inside) in a super-jumbo Ziploc bag to protect it from sand and shove it into our beach bad. http://www.ziploc.com/Products/PublishingImages/Medium%20Images/Ziploc_big_bags_lrg.jpg

Four cruises later and I have some gorgeous "postcard" pictures. (Wish I knew how to attach them here. :confused:)

My brother-in-law is a professional photographer and when he goes on vacation he takes a cheapie camera and would put anyone else to shame with his pictures. He says it is all in the composition and that can be achieved on any camera as far as he is concerned. He has won many awards on his great expensive cameras and on his cheapies. If you want to chance it then go for it.

What is the point in having a nice camera if you do not carry it so you can use it? I have always used my cameras. Back in the days when I was shooting automobile racing, my cameras looked like junk by the end of the season, but I got the photos I wanted. A camera is a tool. Check and see if your homeowner's insurance covers loss of the camera while on a vacation. Most policies do.

Doc

Just got off the Destiny a few days ago with my Pentax SLR and two lenses. If you're that paranoid, carry the camera case with you at all times. I keep mine in a travel bag from wal-mart I got for ten bucks, it has two side pockets and the camera with the 100-300 lens fits in the main compartment. I left it in the room when I went to dinner and I brought it home, and it still works, so nothing lost by taking it along. I have gone to the outdoor photographer magazine forum and someone there said there's no point in having the camera if you won't take it along, and they were right. The camera and lens would fit in the safe if you took them apart. I would leave them in the bag and put them in another bag and leave the whole thing either under the bed or in one of the drawers or in the closet. Mine was in a Del Sol tote. 5364620038_2812202be1_z.jpg

I take my camera, and I consider $400 as semi-expensive. When not in use, I leave it in the camera bag under the vanity table in my stateroom. Have never had a problem. I did keep my iPad, cash, two passports, two wallets, and jewelry roll in the safe, so I'm betting the camera would fit! If you'll click on the "Porthole Room" link in my signature...there's a picture of the safe.

Is there any reason why you feel you have to lock it in the safe?

I bring my 2 Nikon dSLRs, 3 or 4 lenses, 2 P&S cameras, my netbook, my mp3 player, my Kindle, and some other stuff and just leave it lying around the room. To date, nothing has ever been stolen.

The only thing that goes into the safe is our passports, our cash and my wife's jewelry.

I repeat the question I always ask when this silly topic comes up - has anyone on CC ever had electronics stolen from their room? So far, nobody has responded with a yes answer. I should say that my camera equipment is insured so if it was taken, it just means that I get new stuff.

DON

I have a Canon 7D SLR and here's my thoughts. at first i was hesitant to bring my camera because I didn't want to damage/ lose it, but then I thought.. why did I buy this camera? To take beautiful pictures. Can I take beautiful pictures in my boring hometown in Michigan? Not really. Can I take them in beautiful locations on a cruise? Absolutely. So I decided I'm definitely bringing it, it would be silly not to! I did buy an underwater digital camera super cheap on eBay (the FujiFinepix XP10) so if I wanted to do an excursion that involves water (like cavetubing in Belize) I'd be able to take pictures for the memories but not risk the safety of my precious 7D. It was only $60 used on eBay, well worth the price of my camera's safety with the added benefit of being able to still take pictures (AND take underwater pictures!!) on an awesome excursion! Please bring your Nikon and take amazing pictures and post them here!

We take our cannon 7d and a vast array of lens, We use a backpack style camera bag. Easier to take thew the airport. We also pack a smaller bag that carries one extra lens so that we can walk around the ship and not have the whole big bag. We have never had issues with anything going missing. But we do not take all our gear with us. Just what we think we will need. Also on the excursions we use the backpack because we can put a bottle of water and such in the side pockets and it is easier to carry. I love a point and shoot myself. We do not leave any of our tech lying out in the open we do make sure it is in a bag or not in site when the door is open. I am not worried about the ship staff as much as a person walking buy seeing something expensive and grabbing it because they can. Crimes of opportunity

I have a Canon 7D SLR and here's my thoughts. at first i was hesitant to bring my camera because I didn't want to damage/ lose it, but then I thought.. why did I buy this camera? To take beautiful pictures. Can I take beautiful pictures in my boring hometown in Michigan? Not really. Can I take them in beautiful locations on a cruise? Absolutely. So I decided I'm definitely bringing it, it would be silly not to! I did buy an underwater digital camera super cheap on eBay (the FujiFinepix XP10) so if I wanted to do an excursion that involves water (like cavetubing in Belize) I'd be able to take pictures for the memories but not risk the safety of my precious 7D. It was only $60 used on eBay, well worth the price of my camera's safety with the added benefit of being able to still take pictures (AND take underwater pictures!!) on an awesome excursion! Please bring your Nikon and take amazing pictures and post them here!
Are you kidding me?? Michigan boring, I think not!! I love my Michigan, we have all the awesome lakes. Have you been to the UP. I do see your point and I don't hesitate to bring my camera. Just Please don't call Michigan boring, I love my Michigan!! Giggles

Are you kidding me?? Michigan boring, I think not!! I love my Michigan, we have all the awesome lakes. Have you been to the UP. I do see your point and I don't hesitate to bring my camera. Just Please don't call Michigan boring, I love my Michigan!! Giggles

OK I'll correct myself. Anywhere in Michigan near the lakes or up north is gorgeous.. bay city, grand rapids, traverse city, mackinac island... but metro detroit? all we have is freeways and suburbs. nothing very exciting to look at! i do live within 5 minutes to greenfield village though, but that's only accessible in the warmer months!

I bring mine all the time and have never tried to put it in the safe. IMO it is perfectly safe in your cabin. (BTW I also leave my laptop and Kindle out on the desk all the time too.)

I agree..I keep cash and jewelry in the safe but camera (mine is pretty pricey) out in the open...no issue what-so-ever.

I took my Canon DSLR and lenses with me and will again on the next cruise. I just kept everything zipped up in my LowePro bag when they were not in use (which was rare). Most of the time I had my camera with me, even at dinner.

You can lock up the lenses or body (depending on which is more expensive) into the safe but I never saw a reason to. I keep hard to replace items in the safe (passport, wallets with all other plastic cards, cash) and cell phones.

Take it! You will be happy you did. Cruise photos are the best.

Looks like you already got your answers, but I have to chime in. I take my Nikon DSLR with me on every vacation or weekend trip - camping, family visits, birthdays, Disney, cruises, parties, etc.

On cruises, I also bring a less expensive digital Sony pocket-size camera that will fit in my purse on formal nights, so I don't have to carry a bulky camera case. Otherwise, my Nikon is with me at all times and I come home with roughly 800+ pictures. :eek:

Only exception was when we were on the Inspiration, I left my Nikon in the cabin and took a cheap disposable waterproof camera with me on our dolphin encounter. When we returned to the cabin, the first thing I grabbed was my Nikon, because I actually missed taking pictures with it. This Christmas, I asked for a waterproof camera bag, which I get to try out in April on our Legend cruise. :)

ETA - With each SD card, take a picture of your business card and/or cell phone number (with area code) just in case you lose your camera. Also, I used shipping take to attach my cell phone # to the camera strap, just in case.

I bring all my cameras...well not all. I have a lot. I bring my Canon DSLR, my Canon P&S and my Fuji waterproof. I always have one on me at all times. They fit perfectly in the safe along with my IPod, phones, passports, money and 1 extra lense. I'm bringing my IPad with me on this next cruise, and I'm not sure that it will fit. But we shall see.

Archived