Pre-cruise hotel in Ft. Lauderdale?

GothamGirl

Hi everyone --

I'm going on my first cruise (Carnival Freedom / 01/23) and, particularly after lurking around these boards for tips and advice, I could not be more excited!

I'm wondering if anyone has recommendations for a hotel in the Ft. Lauderdale area for the night before the cruise. We're two 20-something single girls traveling together, so the order of the day is inexpensive but safe. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Best,

GG

I just checked Expedia and most hotels are rather pricey this weekend. You might check into your roll call to see what others on your sailing are doing. Also check the East Coast Departures board, Florida ports for hotel recommendations. If you can book a hotel with free shuttle from the sirport, and free shuttle to the pier, and free breakfast...It may be worth the cost, rather than pay for a taxi to a cheaper hotel, and another taxi to the port, and find breakfast.

To find your roll call, go to the main boards page, scroll down to Roll Calls - Members Only, click on Carnival, then Carnival Freedom, and look for your sail date. EM

Welcome to Cruise Critic,

To save money I would use Priceline; bid on a 3 star hotel to avoid the possibility of ending up with a seedy hotel. If you are arriving early enough the day before the cruise, choose the downtown area so you will have a choice of restaurants/activities to partake. If you are arriving late and just need a place to cheap, select in airport hotel as it will be even cheaper and may even have a free shuttle (or at worst dirt cheap cab ride) from airport to hotel. If you are unfamiliar with Priceline, go to betterbidding.com to research. I have always had great luck with Priceline and have used it dozens of times.

Welcome and I hope you have a fabulous first cruise. FLL port is great and though I've not sailed Freedom specifically, her sister ships are great too.

We stayed at Ft. lauderdale Hilton on the beachfront when we were there early. Then we drove over to the bridge area to check out the ships in the evening and to watch them leave. Returned rental car near the port and got shuttled to the port.

Here's kind of an off-the-wall suggestion. We stayed at a place in Pompano Beach called The Forum. It's about a twenty minute drive from the airport. When we stayed it was $65 a night. We rented a car at the airport to get there and still spent less than what we were being quoted for hotels around Ft. Lauderdale, and we had the freedom to come and go as we liked, getting fast food that night, stopping at a Denny's for breakfast in the morning, going shopping for soda to bring on board.

The Forum is a converted hospital facility, but the rooms were spacious and nicely furnished. It currently is mostly used as a religious convention center, and they have rules against drinking and partying, but if you're looking for a place to crash the day before the cruise, it's safe and relatively inexpensive.

You may have luck going the Priceline route, but if not, this is another alternative.

cruiseapril,

I've been checking into the Holiday Inn Express for a precruise stay in May. Could you tell me what restaurants are within walking distance and also is there a beach within walking distance? Did you use their shuttle to and from the airport and/or port? I've read online they charge $8/person for the shuttle to the port and that it's cheaper to take a cab but there will be four of us and there's no way we could fit ourselves and all our luggage into one cab unless it was a van. I'm wondering if it might even be cheaper to take two cabs rather than pay $32 for the four of us to take the shuttle. If you can give me any information, it would be very helpful. Thanks.

Hi- We usually walk to the Outback Restaurant which is about 1/4 mile from HI Express on the same side of the street- so we avoid crossing the big boulevard. The Embassy Suites is right along the way and has a restaurant too.

We don't mind paying the van fee to the port as it is very convenient. They have it all set up and are timely.

The airport shuttle was free before-hope it still is.

Good Luck on your pick of Hotel

We have stayed at Comfort Suites several times this year we went with Priceline and got the Westin Beachfront and Spa for about the same price

hope it works out good. Most Hotels in Fort Lauderdale seem to be high priced this time of year. Don't choose a cheap hotel though enjoy your vacation that will be your first day. have fun

I enjoy staying at the Mariott Renaissance Hotel on 17th St. :) There are several restaurants within walking distance as well as a Walgreens right across 17th St. for those items that didn't make it into the suitcase(s); or you get a munchie attack.

I enjoy staying at the Mariott Renaissance Hotel on 17th St. :) There are several restaurants within walking distance as well as a Walgreens right across 17th St. for those items that didn't make it into the suitcase(s); or you get a munchie attack.

This is our favorite in Fort Lauderdale also! I'm having a difficult time getting a great deal on priceline - but we will probably stay at the Renaissance either way. We enjoy walking to Bimini Boatyard (restaurant/bar) and Einstein's Bagels in the morning, oh, and the small Italian restaurant. Also Walgreen's is nearby.

Archived