Do you sleep with your cabin balcony door open?

lolalita

We leave the balcony door open at night quite often. So, it turns the A/C off. What hurt does that do? At home do you not ever turn the A/C off and have your bedroom window open? What's the difference?

Wouldn't do it in port, because of birds, but at sea I don't think there's much chance of a bird flying in then. And we enjoy being lulled to sleep by the sound of the ocean and having the fresh air in the room (A/C bothers my husband's sinuses).

You could wind up with a flying fish in your bed.:eek:

Well, then we'd just throw him back over the railing.

Or...we could give it to the head chef and have him cook it up for our dinner. ;)

I seriously doubt any fish could "fly" from the ocean to the upper decks. Quite a stretch.

Choices choices...

Choose not loose.

Being considerate should also come into the equation .

A vortex is created when leaving the outer doors a jar/open.

Walk down any cabin/suite deck and hear that whistle.. By putting a towel over the bottom door crack will help quell the obnoxious sounds so others are not subjected to it.:D

So you have cruised before!;) That whistling sound used to drive me crazy, actually still does. Another reason among many to keep the balcony door closed IMHO:)

I must say, we always sleep with the balcony door open (weather permitting)... ah to hear the waves, the wind, to breathe the fresh air... so nice. I sleep like a baby...
The balcony doors are SUPPOSED to be closed. And still can't figure out why anyone would take a cruise to the Caribbean and actually like the hot humid air and your air conditioning to turn off? Just what I want to wake up to, a hot humid stateroom????:rolleyes:

Just saw yet another RCCL commercial on TV with a couple standing out on their balcony... balcony doors wide open with curtains flowing in the breeze. :)

The good news here? Apparently there are so many angels on board that I don't think God would ever let the ship sink... even with all of us evil "rule" breakers on board.

As you stated a commercial, and they were standing out there during the day, not having the balcony door open all night:rolleyes:

Yes we keep the bal door open. On the Oasis when the door was open the AC still worked. We even splet on the bal for 2 nights, it was great!!

If you had your balcony door open on Oasis your air conditioner shut off;) And that must have been real comfortable sleeping on the balcony, give me a break

The balcony doors are SUPPOSED to be closed. And still can't figure out why anyone would take a cruise to the Caribbean and actually like the hot humid air and your air conditioning to turn off? Just what I want to wake up to, a hot humid stateroom????:rolleyes:

If you read back, we have established its not against the rules to leave them open, its better to turn the AC off first. We dont put the AC on anyway. And not everyone cruises to the Caribbean, there are cruises all over the world.

If you read back, we have established its not against the rules to leave them open, its better to turn the AC off first. We dont put the AC on anyway. And not everyone cruises to the Caribbean, there are cruises all over the world.
how that works if you do a caribbean cruise!:confused:

Actually, you didn't follow my logic at all, as I was only replying to someone who suggested that, if there is no warning sign, there is no danger. I never said anything about not being able to do anything. As you point out, there are dangers in many of the things we do every day. And with almost all of them, the danger is very little "if you are smart about it."

Anyway, my point was merely that lack of a warning sign does not mean no danger, but you apparently read much more into it.

Paul well aware of the DANGER of leaving your balcony door open and the bathroom and or stateroom door slamming closed as a result of this, my father had this happen to him on Liberty and mangled two of his fingers.

And FYI as you keep telling everyone they are wrong, you might want to read the link.

http://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/news/news.cfm?ID=4370&sr=us

And also read the signs in my stateroom and on the balcony itself. As qouted earlier, use common sense:rolleyes: And as I just stated to you, try that on a caribbean cruise let me know how that works for you:rolleyes:

NO, they recommend your doors being closed for air conditioning purposes. If a particular passenger has their air conditioner off, it really doesn't matter, does it?

Why is it any of your business how people want to sleep?? It's not! And it's not always hot and humid down there.

As you stated a commercial, and they were standing out there during the day, not having the balcony door open all night:rolleyes:

An open door is an open door regardless of what time of day it is. And it you will look back, the OP said nothing about sleeping at night with the door open, for all you know, she may have been referring to a daytime nap. It's none of your business if people want to sleep in a room that's 65 degrees with air conditioning or 80 degrees with fresh salty air.

And also read the signs in my stateroom and on the balcony itself. As qouted earlier, use common sense:rolleyes: And as I just stated to you, try that on a caribbean cruise let me know how that works for you:rolleyes:

I have been to many hot places and been fine without AC and doors open, I dont put AC on because of asthma.

Common sense tells me its fine to leave them open as long as there is no storm and I dont open the room door, which I wouldnt if I was sleeping.:rolleyes:

The signs on the doors say for your comfort, it doesnt say you are not allowed:rolleyes:

I wanted to.....but it was against the rules, so we didn't.

Besides, when it is left opened for even a couple of minutes,it doesn't take long to get that salty, sticky feeling on the skin....imagine what that salty air does to the furnishings in the room, like to the TV that is right next to the door....

I wanted to.....but it was against the rules, so we didn't.

Besides, when it is left opened for even a couple of minutes,it doesn't take long to get that salty, sticky feeling on the skin....imagine what that salty air does to the furnishings in the room, like to the TV that is right next to the door....

It isnt against the rules, they say for your comfort.

When we cruised to New England and Canada we slept with the door open on a couple of nights and it was awesome. It was on HAL though, and I dont' remember seeing any signs that there was anything wrong with it. I wouldnt' want to do that in the Caribbean....too humid!

It isnt against the rules, they say for your comfort.

OK, but is is their request that we don't do it.

And it can wreak havoc on electrical equipment in the rooms, isn't good for the air conditioning system, and can mess with other passengers comfort. I guess that is enough for me.

So, I'll elect to follow their "advice" and do what RCi feels is best for their ships and passengers.

What ??? :confused: :confused: Never heard this one! Who's rules, and where is this stated?

Every cruise line has rules advising against leaving the cabin doors to the balcony open. In fact, there was just a post on Cruise Critic about 2 days ago about this issue.

Norwegian, HAL, RCI and Princess were all quoted in the article, and all quoted that they ADVISE against leaving the doors open, it is a posted rule on most cruise lines. However, the "rule" really isnt inforced and there is NO punishment for leaving the door open.

The article also discussed how its dangerous to leave the doors open since many issues from bad weather (rain, waves, or wind tunnels) in the middle of the night could occur, to wild-life getting in the rooms, to sleepwalkers walking on the balcony and injuring themselves; and the doors open WILL affect the temperature in not olny your cabin but could also affect the temperature in cabins surrounding yours.

So pretty much- leave the door open, its your choice... just know the risks that you have if you leave to door open... ! ENJOY your cruise!

We sleep with the door open, candles burning, and an iron plugged in next to our rum runners full of grain alcohol...lol

Seriously...we will leave the door open on a cool calm night occasionally when we sleep but are cognisant of weather conditions and waves/swells. If we had children or smoking neighbors we wouldn't do so but it is lovely to sleep that way and has never caused any issues with nearby cabins so no harm no foul.

NO, they recommend your doors being closed for air conditioning purposes. If a particular passenger has their air conditioner off, it really doesn't matter, does it?

Why is it any of your business how people want to sleep?? It's not! And it's not always hot and humid down there.

An open door is an open door regardless of what time of day it is. And it you will look back, the OP said nothing about sleeping at night with the door open, for all you know, she may have been referring to a daytime nap. It's none of your business if people want to sleep in a room that's 65 degrees with air conditioning or 80 degrees with fresh salty air.

Take a valium you might feel better in the morning:rolleyes:

Archived