Do you sleep with your cabin balcony door open?

lolalita

I agree with CARPECRUISING. We upgraded to a minisuite for my 60th birthday on NCL's Pearl in Alaska (Sept 12th 2010) and had a couple who chain smoked on the balcony forward of ours.:( This meant we could not open our door for most of the cruise. As a suggestion, I think all passengers should declare if they smoke at the time of booking and be allocated cabins at the rear of the ship so their smoke does'nt drift the full length of the ship. This should be adopted by all cruise lines as smoking becomes increasingly ANTISOCIAL.

Hear! Hear! Should ban smoking all together and that should do it ...

We had the same situation before but at least they were polite about it. They asked iof tehy can lite up. What are you suppose to say? NO?

use common sense:rolleyes:

Unfortuantely, common sense to one is not common sense to another.

Here is another take. Remember the fire that disabled the Carnival ship last year? Thank goodness for balcony doors as teh AC is not working.

Thsoe will balcony cabins and balcony door open actually can breath while everyone else suffered. If there is a rule to keep the balcony doors shut, I would love to see someone try to enforce that on that particular voyage.

In general, I abid by the rules, but some rules were meant to be broken, especially when it doesn't make sense (common sense:confused:). :D

If you had your balcony door open on Oasis your air conditioner shut off;) And that must have been real comfortable sleeping on the balcony, give me a break

We were in a Loft suite and the AC did not turn off and with the size of the Bal, the nice cushioned chairs it was very nice to sleep outside. Try it sometime it might be better than the rock you live under. Sorry other folks, this post got under my skin.

We were in a Loft suite and the AC did not turn off and with the size of the Bal, the nice cushioned chairs it was very nice to sleep outside. Try it sometime it might be better than the rock you live under. Sorry other folks, this post got under my skin.

I absolutely love sleeping on the balcony! It's a beautiful way to spend the night. I've also been known to tip a deckhand so he will leave a chair out for me on the very top deck. After a few glasses of wine I can lay out there, stargazing and fall asleep.

Apparently some people in here would have us believe that this is improper and one should only sleep in a bed, with pillows all around you so you don't fall off, the air conditioner on and every door shut JUST IN CASE something might happen. It must be terrible to live life of such caution, having to try and rule the lives of other people who dare venturing outside the "norm".

He/ She has a problem with us who like the door open, even though its not against the rules.;)

My sister and I shared a cabin and spent half the night up and down because of the balcony door. When she fell asleep, I opened the door. She would wake up and close it. Finally, she said her fear was a bird flying in. I laughed because I didn't think a bird could fly as far as we were out at sea. I found out later I was soooooooooo wrong and that it is possible for a stinkin' bird to decide to fly into my cabin. I'll still leave the door open, but I guess I'll have to sleep with on eye open to watch for the birds :eek:!!!

Didn't you know sisters are always right? Kind of like wives:D

We sleep with the door open, candles burning, and an iron plugged in next to our rum runners full of grain alcohol...lol

Seriously...we will leave the door open on a cool calm night occasionally when we sleep but are cognisant of weather conditions and waves/swells. If we had children or smoking neighbors we wouldn't do so but it is lovely to sleep that way and has never caused any issues with nearby cabins so no harm no foul.

Hey you forgot, saving chairs by the pool and wearing robe to the MDR;)

As a standard practice we ask that guests close their balcony doors as it affects our air-conditioning system if the doors are left open for an extended period of time," adds Royal Caribbean spokeswoman Janet Diaz.

Nearly all of the cruise lines that responded said they try to discourage passengers from leaving balcony doors open, as it can impact the ship's climate control, but none of the lines specifically said "it's against the rules."

Two excerts from cruise critic news which should stop the augument of its against the rules.

As for banning smoking think of the revinue RCI make in the onboard duty free do you want to pay more for your cruise ( non smoker by the way)

As a standard practice we ask that guests close their balcony doors as it affects our air-conditioning system if the doors are left open for an extended period of time," adds Royal Caribbean spokeswoman Janet Diaz.

Nearly all of the cruise lines that responded said they try to discourage passengers from leaving balcony doors open, as it can impact the ship's climate control, but none of the lines specifically said "it's against the rules."

Two excerts from cruise critic news which should stop the augument of its against the rules.

As for banning smoking think of the revinue RCI make in the onboard duty free do you want to pay more for your cruise ( non smoker by the way)

You would think so... Unforunately, some people are so convinced of their own beliefs they simply can't fathom that they aren't right, or that the rest of the world doesn't think the same way they do.

Done both but not sure we were supposed to. Having the door open allows for a nice breeze and you can hear the waves/ocean however...it does then allow the room to get quite humid as the air conditioner shuts off when the door is open. Oh...an important tidbit.....Be sure not to open your room door and try to exit into the hallway with the balcony door open! It creates this amazing wind tunnel and you will be sucked into the hallway with extreme force. This happened to me and I ran into a older gentleman who just happened to be walking right past our room at the time I was ejected! It was quite funny on hindsight but someone could of gotten hurt....

I was considering this on our cruise next month until our friend told us a story of a time she sleep-walked her way out of her room, up a flight of stairs, and into a bathroom. She woke up and had no idea where she was.

It would be just our luck that my wife would sleep-walk right off the balcony in the middle of the night.

Hey you forgot, saving chairs by the pool and wearing robe to the MDR;)

I wear jean shorts because they match my flip flops in the MDR....lol... and why wear a robe to the pool when I can wear the same jean shorts into the pool? Great way to take a bath AND clean the shorts!

We've had a balcony room on the cruises we took, and the doors were hinge type not sliders, so the doors would close themselves. Even if it was a slider I am not sure I'd leave it open. I think it would drastically effect the comfort level of the rooms Air conditioning.

As far as safe I guess that is more dependent on if there are connecting doors between balconies and if those doors are locked or not.

The balcony doors are SUPPOSED to be closed. And still can't figure out why anyone would take a cruise to the Caribbean and actually like the hot humid air and your air conditioning to turn off? Just what I want to wake up to, a hot humid stateroom????:rolleyes:

As you stated a commercial, and they were standing out there during the day, not having the balcony door open all night:rolleyes:

If you had your balcony door open on Oasis your air conditioner shut off;) And that must have been real comfortable sleeping on the balcony, give me a break

There is a multi-quote feature you could use. :)

I'm from Florida, and love my air conditioning, but when the weather is really cool and or spring like with a little nip in the air I will turn off the thermostat and open the door before I go to sleep.

I am very careful to close the balcony door before I open my cabin door, as I don't want to subject other passengers to my preference.

Rev

The only time we've had our balcony door open all night is when there is no need for air conditioning. In Alaska, on a repo from LA to Vancouver and in October around Italy.

It's nice to have the fresh air and listen to the ocean, but we'd not do it if it was warm weather.

The only time we had to close our door during the night was when we had a person smoking on the balcony below us. It woke us up out of a dead sleep, all the smoke rising and coming into our cabin. Bummer that we couldn't enjoy the fresh air then, but she was within her rights.

Archived