Do you sleep with your cabin balcony door open?

lolalita

I may have missed it if it was already addressed..... One other reason not to leave your balcony door open for open for extended periods of time is, it can affect the air conditioning in adjacent cabins (negativley). In other words your neighbor's A/C is being drafted away from their cabin. I'm sure it is not anyone's intent to make any of their fellow passengers uncomfortable.

How is someone supposed to know this though? I have never seen it in writing or been told this by a cruise line or one of their employees. I think it is safe to say that this is not something a person would necesarrily have common knowledge about. Is this unique to cruise ships?

How is someone supposed to know this though? I have never seen it in writing or been told this by a cruise line or one of their employees. I think it is safe to say that this is not something a person would necesarrily have common knowledge about. Is this unique to cruise ships?
Read back on the posts, all your answers are there

I may have missed it if it was already addressed..... One other reason not to leave your balcony door open for open for extended periods of time is, it can affect the air conditioning in adjacent cabins (negativley). In other words your neighbor's A/C is being drafted away from their cabin. I'm sure it is not anyone's intent to make any of their fellow passengers uncomfortable.

And what if it is 50 degrees outside?

Would that have an adverse effect on the heating?:confused:

I agree that the signs should be worded more strongly. Reading the sign as posted previously I would take it to mean that if you have your balcony door open don't expect the air conditioning to keep your cabin cool. It should list it as a requirement if that is what they mean.

They list it as "Please" do this just like they list the dining room dress recommendations which allow for an individuals interpretation of the intentions. It should say "You must keep the balcony door closed due to safety regulations."

I mentioned earlier that there is a new sign in the cabins on the Navigator, but I forgot to take a picture.

Which addresses the poster who wanted to know why I took the pictures that I DID post!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Take this marvelous post, for example. "Oh, I would comply if there were TWO signs: one by the balcony door is not enough. If only they would post one next to the AC controls, then I might be convinced!!!" :rolleyes:

There are also a great many people taking a lot of time and effort to explain WHY someone might want to leave the balcony door open.

If the cruiselines are so concerned with all the reasons the "no" posters have listed, why do they only mention the AC on the sign posted by the balcony door?

You mean LIKE THIS, Finbar: (already posted on page one of this thread :rolleyes:)

2954548770077959744S600x600Q85.jpg

I mentioned earlier that there is a new sign in the cabins on the Navigator, but I forgot to take a picture.

Which addresses the poster who wanted to know why I took the pictures that I DID post!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Take this marvelous post, for example. "Oh, I would comply if there were TWO signs: one by the balcony door is not enough. If only they would post one next to the AC controls, then I might be convinced!!!" :rolleyes:

You mean LIKE THIS, Finbar: (already posted on page one of this thread :rolleyes:)

2954548770077959744S600x600Q85.jpg

Sweet, it's good to know your topics! I love it MM

You might want to read my post again Mom. Let me make it easy for you:

If the cruise lines are so concerned with all the reasons the "no" posters have listed, why do they ONLY MENTION THE AC on the sign posted by the balcony door?

Thank you for helping to make my point. ;)

You might want to read my post again Mom. Let me make it easy for you:

If the cruise lines are so concerned with all the reasons the "no" posters have listed, why do they ONLY MENTION THE AC on the sign posted by the balcony door?

Thank you for helping to make my point. ;)

Go back a few posts there are two signs not one.

I have already seen them. Perhaps you should go back and take another look. They both mention the air conditioning.
First you say they only have a sign on the balcony door, then you say look and "them" that's plural not singular. So are you aware that there are two signs, not one?????

First you say they only have a sign on the balcony door, then you say look and "them" that's plural not singular. So are you aware that there are two signs, not one?????

The problem with jumping into the middle of a thread and commenting on a post is that the original intent of the post is often lost on the person commenting. You obviously have not read any of my previous posts in this thread or you would understand what I wrote, why I wrote it and in what context my statements were made. If you care to take the time to read my other posts in this thread and you still have questions I would be more than happy to answer them.

Hmmm... I'm wondering if the HVAC system is really set up in a way that would allow this to happen though. It seems that each room is set up as it's own heating or A/C 'zone' allowing each room to have its own temperature setting.

The system you describe would require an open ductwork system connecting the adjacent rooms. This type of system wouldn't allow the ability to have a different temperature setting for each room.

I suspect the actual setup is a hybrid of these two systems. But, since we know the AC shuts off when the balcony door is opened, there must be some mechanisim that physically blocks the cold air from coming in your cabin. It seems this would isolate your cabin from the adjacent ones.

Purely speculation on my part, but it seems to make sense to me.

Now Mom from Merion let it go. Play nice in the sand box.

Lets teach the future of our country that ones reaction doesnt always require another reaction

Read back on the posts, all your answers are there

I am sorry. I am not finding anything. I can certainly see the signs saying that leaving the door open would effect the air conditioning in my cabin. It isn't clear to me that the sign is saying that it will effect others' cabins air conditioning as well.

We could probably go around and around on this but for me the bottom line is I am not going to judge those that choose to leave their balcony door open harshly because I don't think the cruise line is clear about the necessity of doing so. There is a difference between a request and a demand. I am of the opinion that the signs represent requests, not demands and requests can be denied.

I am sorry. I am not finding anything. I can certainly see the signs saying that leaving the door open would effect the air conditioning in my cabin. It isn't clear to me that the sign is saying that it will effect others' cabins air conditioning as well.

We could probably go around and around on this but for me the bottom line is I am not going to judge those that choose to leave their balcony door open harshly because I don't think the cruise line is clear about the necessity of doing so. There is a difference between a request and a demand. I am of the opinion that the signs represent requests, not demands and requests can be denied.

In all seriousness, rileha, how would you feel if there were a sign in every cabin

DO NOT

LEAVE YOUR

BALCONY DOOR

OPEN

EVER UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES

WHATSOEVER

OR A PENALTY

WILL BE CHARGED.

Great summary of this thread! It seems like some folks have little common sense. If there is no sign in the cabin saying it's forbidden to light the curtains on fire, fill the bathtub with Everclear, or some other nonsense, some of the posters here would argue it's their "right" to do such things.

I travel globally on a regular basis. Virtually every hotel in Asia (India, China, Hong Kong) where I've stayed requires the guest to place his room keycard into a slot inside the room to activate the electricity, lights, and air conditioning. When one opens a balcony door or other window, the AC shuts off until the door is re-closed. I would never dream of sleeping with a hotel window open (mosquitos, flies, security breach) and I certainly would never prop my balcony door open on a cruise ship, either.

Perhaps the solution is an alarm system that goes off whenever the balcony door is opened for longer than five minutes and auto-bills the offender $500 for screwing up the AC balance in that bank of cabins and causing a potential fire hazard. Of course they would have to put up a warning sign in 40 point bold red font.

Archived