Do you sleep with your cabin balcony door open?

lolalita

To get back on the subject, my wife and I opened our balcony at night on our caribbean cruise in December. The night weather was perfect for it. No humidity at the time and you definately heard the waves against the boat. I know it made me sleep better. I'd at least recommend it one night and see how it is for you. We didn't do it the first night because it was still a bit cool coming out of Galveston but did it the other 6 nights. I think it's part of the experience of having a balcony room.

We tried it on our first cruise to Mexico, but it just got too hot and humid in the cabin to sleep comfortably and shut the door. We've never tried it since.

Maybe it was just too hot that day? We've had great cool nights cruising in May and Novmember. Still needed the covers so the AC wouldn't have kicked on.

Cruise Critic regulars often take pictures of lots of such things, because it helps answer questions here with something other than just a "he said/she said" kind of response. A picture is worth a thousand words and all that . . .

For one thing, when you tell someone on CC about it later - and they accuse you of just starting "rumors" (thinking about a certain "new levels" signage in the terminals) - you can show them it is fact, not rumor...... :D

I can understand why she took the picture. She is a frequent poster and I'm sure this question comes up on somewhat regular basis. Just like above where someone asked, "where is that rule posted?" Now we have the answer. I think it's helpful to not only answer questions but to have photographic answers. :)

Thank you all for explaining....... It all makes since.....

Cruise Critic regulars often take pictures of lots of such things, because it helps answer questions here with something other than just a "he said/she said" kind of response. A picture is worth a thousand words and all that . . .

How can someone arbitrarily place a value on a picture.:confused:

A thousand words? Come on.:rolleyes:

That picture of the Crown and Anchor sign in Baltimore seemed to be worth a lot more than 1000 words.:D

This is a point of contention with me & my hubby. Me: warm-blooded and physically NEEDING fresh air in the winter time. Him: tossing and turning all night and huffing and puffing how HOT he is. Compromise - one night is his and another night is mine.

Maybe I have my ships confused - but can't you adjust the temp in your room? Our last cruise was on princess and I turned the air as high as it would go to reduce taxing the system on nights I left the door open.

That picture of the Crown and Anchor sign in Baltimore seemed to be worth a lot more than 1000 words.:D

Excellent point. Do we have any volunteers to see count many words it was worth? They can start with TheLion's thread and go from there :D

That's not arbitrary. I had it appraised by the onboard art auction folks. They wouldn't lie . . .

Most of today's modern cruise ships have a unique fire safety system in place.

The ventilation system is designed so that the air pressure inside passenger cabins is slightly higher than the air pressure in the corridors and outside the ship.

If a fire occurred outside your cabin, the over-pressure air inside the cabin would assist to force smoke and flames away from the cabin instead of towards it.

This system could save your life in an emergency - if you and your fellow cruisers have not defeated it by leaving balcony doors open.

If you decide to leave your balcony door open, the over-pressure air inside your cabin is released outdoors.

The ventilation system then attempts to build up the pressure by robbing air from your neighbors' cabins.

If your door remains open, the system is never able to restore the pressure - but continues to try by pulling air from your neighbors' cabins.

That air sometimes contains cigarette smoke, and usually contains much or all of their air-conditioning.

Nearly all the cruise lines have posted signs near balcony doors, requesting passengers to keep the doors closed. Unfortunately, many cruisers today either cannot read, do not pay attention, or believe that rules do not apply to them.

Next time you smell cigarettes in your cabin, it may be coming from your neighbor's cabin, as you have left your balcony door open and you are now breathing their air.

Next time your aircon gets too warm, it may be due to a neighbor leaving his balcony door open, and he is enjoying YOUR cool air in HIS cabin.

Next time you are awakened at night by a very loud whistling noise, that sound is caused by air pressure that is now rushing INTO your or another's cabin, because somebody left their balcony door open, and the air pressure is going in the opposite direction.

Several of the cruise lines attempted to coerce passengers into closing their balcony doors by placing magnetic switches on the door frames. The switches would turn off the aircon when the door is opened.

But some very helpful geniuses on this board posted tips on how to defeat the system. The cruise lines gave up, and now rely on common sense among passengers to keep the doors closed.

We all know that common sense is not very common on cruise ships today.

We've slept with our balcony room door open before and LOVED it! Whenever the weather cooperates (e.g. not to hot or humid) we almost always have the door open. Yes, RCL recommends against it, but I'm not aware of a rule saying the door MUST be shut.

The wind is the biggest issue and did cause a bit of whistling from the air going beneath the cabin door. However, this issue was solved pretty easily by putting a towel along the base of the cabin door to block the majority of the wind flow.

But, as a word of caution, you need to remember to close the balcony door before opening your cabin door. Otherwise the wind that develops can make a huge mess and make the door almost impossible to open/close.

We've slept with our balcony room door open before and LOVED it! Whenever the weather cooperates (e.g. not to hot or humid) we almost always have the door open. Yes, RCL recommends against it, but I'm not aware of a rule saying the door MUST be shut.

The wind is the biggest issue and did cause a bit of whistling from the air going beneath the cabin door. However, this issue was solved pretty easily by putting a towel along the base of the cabin door to block the majority of the wind flow.

But, as a word of caution, you need to remember to close the balcony door before opening your cabin door. Otherwise the wind that develops can make a huge mess and make the door almost impossible to open/close.

Did you even read the rest of the posts?

:D:D It was not personal. Just too easy so I couldn't resist.;) No hard feelings?

Dont worry about it Ive learned to laugh at myself a long time ago:D

It made since after the explanations I just never thought about it that way before The things you learn on CC

Most of today's modern cruise ships have a unique fire safety system in place.

...>>>SNIP<<<...

We all know that common sense is not very common on cruise ships today.

Very interesting. Learn something new everyday.

But do you think the "ME" generation cares??

Did you even read the rest of the posts?

As a matter of fact I read every one of them and I don't appreciate your reply.

If you think your picture of that sign consitutes a set of "rules" I disagree. No need to be nasty. Geesh. :rolleyes:

Never slept with the doors open due to noise and humidity. Also, aware of sudden rainstorms which are common in the Carib. makes for a bit of a sloppy mess. If I'm not mistaken, part of the recomendation to keep doors closed is in case a misplaced match or cigaret butt that could fly in you room and create a dangerous situation. Misplaced matches and butts is the primary reason that they do not allow any wet clothing to be placed to dry on the balcony chair/table.

Bruce, you are spot on. Unfortunately, as one can note from this and many other threads, people feel that if they are "on vacation" rules certainly cannot possibly apply to them. Sad commentary, but true.

Does anyone really think it would matter if RCI said those balcony doors MUST be kept closed?

Pax would do whatever they felt like doing despite that request, anyway.:rolleyes:

I doubt they would take the pains to make signs asking pax to keep the doors closed, if that wasn't what they wanted to happen.;)

I always leave the balcony door open, Hopeing the wife will sleep walk :p

On a serious note, We have 2 young kids and with chairs ect on the balcony i couldent rest leaveing it open! Just to easy for them to climb onto to have a look over.

Archived