Scotch Tasting? (Gem)

DerekNJ

I've noticed various tasting activities described (wine, beer, martini, etc.) and I was wondering if they have a scotch tasting that anyone has attended on the Gem? Also, would my non-drinking significant other be able to come to the tasting event, or is it a "participants only" kind of thing?

Thanks!

You can always ask the cruise director if he would schedule something like that on your sailing. He'd have to figure out how much to charge you though as its something that hasn't been done yet.

As your your teetotalling spouse, I guess they can attend but they can't 'taste' the drink or you'll end up paying for them anyways. ;)

The Jade had a scotch tasting a couple of years ago on an Eastern Med cruise. However, they didn't bring out any good single malts. Just Johnny Walker, Chivas, Dewers:eek:, et al. Not one single Malt. Out of the dozen or so who showed up for the tasting, not one person stayed after they saw the selection. As I recall, it was no bargain, either.

The Jade had a scotch tasting a couple of years ago on an Eastern Med cruise. However, they didn't bring out any good single malts. Just Johnny Walker, Chivas, Dewers:eek:, et al. Not one single Malt. Out of the dozen or so who showed up for the tasting, not one person stayed after they saw the selection. As I recall, it was no bargain, either.

Well that's not very exciting. I'm beginning to think that my friend who supposedly went to one of these Scotch tastings in December merely misspoke and instead went to the Bourbon/Whiskey tastings that I've seen advertised.

No single malts = no bargin;)

Who wants to taste blended scotch at a premium price?

No single malts = no bargin;)

Who wants to taste blended scotch at a premium price?

Curiously, I think scotch and wine tastings would be the only real tastings worthwhile! Martini tastings are just sampling different recipes (and from what I've seen described here, all fruity and sweet); beer tastings would be easy/cheap to do. Scotch and wine are expensive, and can have such dramatically distinct characters, but it's really too expensive to DIY. I'm not a huge scotch drinker, but had been looking forward to experimenting with a few single malts to see if there was one that I really liked. Oh well.

• 2 months later...

I'm happy to report that there was a scotch tasting last week on the Gem. It was supposed to be 5 scotches for $15. We had a total of 7 drinks, as the bartender was feeling festive (it was st. patty's day.) If I recall, it was 4 single malts we had, 2 bourbons, 1 irish whiskey.

Also, there were one or two different wine tastings that week.

I'm happy to report that there was a scotch tasting last week on the Gem. It was supposed to be 5 scotches for $15. We had a total of 7 drinks, as the bartender was feeling festive (it was st. patty's day.) If I recall, it was 4 single malts we had, 2 bourbons, 1 irish whiskey.

Also, there were one or two different wine tastings that week.

This is awesome...I Love scotch, and scotch whiskey blends, dewars, chivas,Johnny walker, and also single malts..I am going on the Gem this saturday, I will try it out and give a report, Maybe get the 5 samples to 7, with a little extra$$$

Can you tell me which night they did this?

Archived