What happens when you "X" the rules....

trafficlaw

Recently returned from 6 nights on the Eclipse. Amazing ship, crew, etc. We had one of our best cruises ever. Nothing is perfect, and actually we may never have noted the imperfections if it weren't for the uproar over the new "x" the rules the campaign. However, I think if guests are this blatant about "X"ing the rules prior to inviting them to do so... what's next?

Examples of X-ing:

1) On our cruise - the frosted glass partisan between balconies had been shattered on the cruise prior - replaced with brown paper covered plexiglass and teeny tiny shards of glass that will takes weeks to get rid of...image below: "Yeeehawwww! Parrty! Let's bust into the balcony next door!!!"

2) glass on balcony

3) no smoking right? I went to throw away a tissue 2 seconds after arriving to the room... and guess what - a cigarette butt in the trash (this should have been removed prior to our arrival).

1641535535_EclipseCruise20110102-132710.jpg.31b4cf8dd068d8c253516ec8d9bad21e.jpg

1347244402_EclipseCruise20110102-154132.jpg.f932062cd31eb2d7efbad6206602c1cf.jpg

To clarify, this is the NEWEST ship in Celebrity's fleet and it is already being trashed by the scofflaws that want to "x" the rules. Does Celebrity really want to attract the dregs of society as passengers who will only ruin their ships? I think that celebrity should aim higher than the lowest common denominator and strive to attract quality passengers that will maintain the quality of their fleet.

Recently returned from 6 nights on the Eclipse. Amazing ship, crew, etc. We had one of our best cruises ever. Nothing is perfect, and actually we may never have noted the imperfections if it weren't for the uproar over the new "x" the rules the campaign. However, I think if guests are this blatant about "X"ing the rules prior to inviting them to do so... what's next?

Examples of X-ing:

1) On our cruise - the frosted glass partisan between balconies had been shattered on the cruise prior - replaced with brown paper covered plexiglass and teeny tiny shards of glass that will takes weeks to get rid of...image below: "Yeeehawwww! Parrty! Let's bust into the balcony next door!!!"

2) glass on balcony

3) no smoking right? I went to throw away a tissue 2 seconds after arriving to the room... and guess what - a cigarette butt in the trash (this should have been removed prior to our arrival).

That cig butt in the trash is not only Xing the rules, but dangerous!!!

To clarify, this is the NEWEST ship in Celebrity's fleet and it is already being trashed by the scofflaws that want to "x" the rules. Does Celebrity really want to attract the dregs of society as passengers who will only ruin their ships? I think that celebrity should aim higher than the lowest common denominator and strive to attract quality passengers that will maintain the quality of their fleet.

Couldn't agree more, but new ships means more debt service and more beds to fill and apparently X thinks anyone with a heartbeat is acceptable.

A bit off topic but I am interested by the broken glass. When we were on the Eclipse last October there were two large panes shattered during the trip which had to be replaced with board. I did not see them actually get broken so I can't say how but I wonder if there is a quality control or design issue with the glass.

I agree 100%!! Part of the reason I switched from RCCL to Celebrity was to avoid crap like this. I guess now I will have to cruise even less frequently so I can afford the luxury lines!

Couldn't agree more, but new ships means more debt service and more beds to fill and apparently X thinks anyone with a heartbeat is acceptable.

How would you expect them to screen people before taking their money for the cruise? Just curious. Even if they were to sign a "good behavior" contract, I doubt if it would be enforceable and by whose standards would that be based on? Everyone's standards are different.

We did not see any of those wild types on our Eclipse Baltic cruise. The majority were the over 50 crowd and the ship was dead after 10pm.

How would you expect them to screen people before taking their money for the cruise?

I don't expect nor am I suggesting that X screen people either before or after taking their money.

Just curious. Even if they were to sign a "good behavior" contract, I doubt if it would be enforceable and by whose standards would that be based on? Everyone's standards are different.

By signing your cruise contract you are in fact acknowledging and agreeing to a required pax code of behavior which is enforceable - those who don't maintain that standard may be asked to leave the ship prior to the end of their cruise and at their own expense.

We did not see any of those wild types on our Eclipse Baltic cruise. The majority were the over 50 crowd and the ship was dead after 10pm.

After 30+ cruises with Celebrity, I'm pleased to say we've never experienced any "wild types" either, however when one lowers standards, one is more likely to attract those whose standards are lower. For twenty years, X built its reputation by setting itself apart from the other mainstream lines by target marketing pax who wanted a traditional cruise experience with excellent service and equally good food. Of late, it appears the line is less interested in setting itself apart from the pack and more interested in becoming just one of many. Thus my reference to "anyone with a heartbeat."

I don't expect nor am I suggesting that X screen people either before or after taking their money.

By signing your cruise contract you are in fact acknowledging and agreeing to a required pax code of behavior which is enforceable - those who don't maintain that standard may be asked to leave the ship prior to the end of their cruise and at their own expense.

After 30+ cruises with Celebrity, I'm pleased to say we've never experienced any "wild types" either, however when one lowers standards, one is more likely to attract those whose standards are lower. For twenty years, X built its reputation by setting itself apart from the other mainstream lines by target marketing pax who wanted a traditional cruise experience with excellent service and equally good food. Of late, it appears the line is less interested in setting itself apart from the pack and more interested in becoming just one of many. Thus my reference to "anyone with a heartbeat."

I don't think they (X) would put someone off the ship in a foreign port unless they really did something awful, disruptive, or illegal. We love everything about X except the formal nights (however we do comply). Except for better food, I really didn't see anything much more refined than say RCCL. X gets the nod due to price (their prices are sometimes cheaper than other lines) and the non-smoking policy. Honestly, I think they ARE trying to appeal to a broader market to stay viable, though I realize that most of the regular posters don't want anything to change. They are competing for cruise dollars and may not have a choice.

I agree that the trash can should have been emptied but that looks like an unused cigarette, not a butt. You are allowed to have cigarettes onboard but can't smoke in a cabin or on it's balcony. Maybe it was the last cigarette a now reformed smoker had that they discarded when they decided not to smoke again.

AAbutt01.jpg.5121cb5eb669aef61cc31062fc11f879.jpg

I agree that the trash can should have been emptied but that looks like an unused cigarette, not a butt. You are allowed to have cigarettes onboard but can't smoke in a cabin or on it's balcony. Maybe it was the last cigarette a now reformed smoker had that they discarded when they decided not to smoke again.

[ATTACH]181524[/ATTACH]

Possible... our cruise did depart on 1/2 - New Year's resolution, perhaps?

I'd also like to note that there was a cigarette burn on the balcony table as well as on the floor mat by the balcony door. Someone at some time DEFINITELY smoked in the room. In fact, I would say, about 80% of the time we were out on our balcony, we smelled smoke during our cruise.

(PS. I am married to trafficlaw, the OP).

It's a clever marketing slogan but....I don't want to cruise with the "Carnival mindset". I want quiet, relaxation, food that is happily memorable, service that is there but not intrusive. Ports that provoke my interest. Cabins that are stylish & well thought out.

As for children, I taught and disciplined my DS while we traveled (he had a FF card by age 3) so pls parents discipline your children-or cruise Disney. Is this too much to ask?

Carole

Archived