Confused and Help Needed PLEASE

luvcruisin63

First off, thanks in advance to all the help everyone gives on the boards:)

This will be our 2nd trip to Alaska, the first was on Princess out of Vancouver to Whittier and cruising to Glacier Bay. It was absolutely unbelievable!!! That trip was 3 years ago during the first week of July. Here is where I need help, we want to go back hopefully the same time frame if possible but we want to experience some of the land based beauty this time as well as the glacier beauty as well. We would not be happy with the bus issues of waiting around etc. I understand that it is best to do land base first before doing cruise and/or would we need to do cruise to able to see glacier bay, whales etc. We would have 2 weeks to spend there. Is it doable to stay based at Denali with a rental car and do day trips out before doing a cruise?? Where is the best place to stay in Denali?? Would you go to Glacier Bay a 2nd time??

Any help with planning is SOOOO much appreciated as I am confused and overwhelmed with all the options!!!!

Thanks

Kim

Planning an independent land tour before your cruise is simple. Glacier Bay is certainly worth visiting twice (or 20 times!) but if you want to stay with Princess look at the July 2 southbound onj the Diamond - that gives you Hubbard Glacier as well, and in many ways I prefer Hubbard. The Coral Princess has the same itinerary but I wasn't at all impressed with her last year.

For your land tour, first decide on what you want to see - Denal, Anchorage, Fairbanks, Talkeetna, Kenia, etc. For Denali, look at 2 nights at Healy - much cheaper lodging just north of the park.

does your 2 weeks include a week for the cruise ?

The only places you mentioned were Glacier Bay and Denali. What else do you want to do during your land visit? Basing yourself anywhere in Alaska and doing day trips is generally not a good idea because of the distances involved in travelling. Perhaps you could visit the library and check out a few travel books to figure out where you want to go and what you wnat to see. With your interest in glaciers a day cruise in Prince William Sound out of Whittier would be enjoyable.

How lucky you are to be going to Alaska again. I envy you. It is my hope and dream to get back again.

I would take some time and read some trip reviews both here and on Trip Advisor. TA is very good for planning land tours, although you will get excellent advice here as well.

You will not want to base yourself in one spot for a week, as was already pointed out. I, agree, you should try to do a PWS tour out of Whittier with your glacier priority.

Denali is surely worth a visit, planning at least two nights there. We stayed three.

Here is a good website with driving tours in Alaska. It is very easy to plan a driving trip on your own. You will be able to stop a lot more and enjoy things that the bus tours will miss. However, bus tours can be good too. Depends on what you are looking for. We did one in Europe and loved it, but I did not really consider it for Alaska once I realized not one tour I found included everything I wanted to see. Key with cruisetours is to research very well before you go so you have no disappointments. Just because a tour goes to Denali, does not mean it has the best use of your time there. Many of the cruisetours are very lacking when it comes to Denali. Don't trust a TA to guide you with a cruisetour.

http://alaska.org/driving/drive-nearby-destinations.htm (this link is for driving to different destinations. If you go to its homepage you will find many links that will lead to lots of helpful information.)

I, too, like the Princess itinerary that includes both Glacier Bay and Hubbard. We absolutely loved Glacier Bay. I would be happy to see it again. However, if I were planning another trip to Alaska, I would only include it, if the itinerary also included something new that I had missed the first time. Hubbard would be a great addition. I am also hoping to catch Sitka and Icy Strait on my next trip, if there is a next trip. You might also want to consider an itinerary that includes some different port from your last trip.

I will also recommend an independent Interior Alaska visit. It is simple. With an additional week, you have plenty of time for Denali Park, can possibily add Seward, if you are organized in your planning. With your glacier preferences, I would definately suggest you also consider a Prince William Sound boat tour,your "ship" day. Fits nicely. :)

Archived