inclusive/exclusive

meow!

While so many of us have been discussing on how inclusive (food, specialty restaurant charges, drinks, tips, etc.) a cruise line should be, I remember that in 1999, we took an overnight ferry crossing from Stockholme to Helsinki aboard the Silja Serenade. It included nothing other than your cleaned, furnished cabin. There was an arcade at the centre of the ship, you could eat at any (paying) restaurant you like or buy (fast)food from any store you like. There was a supermarket, and alcohol was tax free (and particularly cheap, cheaper than airport duty free). In short, it is like a hotel room inside a small plaza at sea. This way, folks won't overeat because the buffet is free (and therefore much better for health, in this day and age of high blood pressure, glucose and cholesterol), and you only "buy" what you need/want at lower than duty free prices. Grant you, this may well not be most people's idea of a cruise, but there must be (at least) a small but significant percentage of the population who may prefer such a mode of travel. With more than a hundred cruise ships plying the seas, isn't there any entrepreneur who has the foresight in developing just such a market (week long ferry voyages, for example)?

You pose and interesting question. My guess as to why no one is doing this is that with cruise prices at the prices they are, it may be that it would be tough to price a product like you describe low enough to attract customers and still make money. Since the basic purpose of any business is to make money no one would start such a business. With fuel prices as high as they currently are I would suspect it would be tough to make this work.

I suspect most cruisers who have been on a traditional cruise might shy away from this type of cruise.

It also seems to me I heard about someone starting something similar for cruises in the Med but the immediate complaint was that the cost per day was almost the same as the regular cruise lines. Maybe someone else will remember what the name of the cruise line was going to be.

Anyway interesting idea. Have a great next cruise.

I like the all-inclusive price. We have never eaten at the pay restaurants - we don't drink much - we don't buy anything from the ship's stores. The pricing structure - as it stands - works for us.

My one negative - charging for soda. When we first started cruising, soda was free. I really miss that, since I drink a lot of soda. However, Celebrity has free lemonade or other fruit juice - that's a plus. But, then again, because I drink diet soda - fruist juice isn't always a good option for us.

I don't think the vast majority of people over eat because the food is free. I think those same people over eat in their regular life.

Personally, for me - the enjoyment of the cruise is picking out what to eat each night with no regard to price. And we take full advantage of the free entertainment - without regard for whether it will be worth the "ticket price."

Other than the soda issue - I like the current pricing structure of modern day cruising.

The company is Easy Cruise. It's sailing the French and Italian Riviera. You have to book a minimum of two nights, but it allows you to be flexible. Checkin is after 3 p.m. The ship sails in the early morning (around 4 a.m.) each day and arrives in port around lunch time. The ports are Monaco, Nice, Cannes, St. Tropez, Imperia, Genoa, and Portofino. For instance, you could book a cruise leaving Nice beginning on Friday, sail to Cannes on Saturday, and get off in St. Tropez on Sunday.

Easy Cruise sounds wonderful for young people.

I was watching Ellen Degeneres very early this am (sick, could not sleep) and she was talking about all you can eat restaurants, it was funny. She made the comment that we are not bears and will probably have food available to us the same time tomorrow. No need to store up for later.

I've only been on ferrys, not cruise ships, where you can purchase food as an addition to your fare. It definitely would change the whole idea of cruising, having to pay as you go! I wouldn't mind it so much, I don't eat a whole lot, but I might miss the included desserts.

Thank you all for your informative replies!

P.S. I just checked the Easy Cruise website. They charge GBP59 per cabin (two people) per night, which translates into roughly $55 per diem, which sounds quite reasonable.

Archived