Best Non-Drowsy Seasick Med?

Tennessee_Holly

I can't stand the drowsy feeling either so I used a Bio Band on our cruise. I tried the sweatband-type SeaBands before and they didn't work, but for some reason this one did. We had some pretty rough seas the last couple days and as long as I had the band on I didn't even notice.

http://www.biobands.com/

We have used the SeaBands and they did work but they do not stand up to being in the hot tub. My daughter found that out on our last cruise. We have also used PsiBands they work also and are nice looking. Works on the same principal as both SeaBands and Biobands.

http://www.psibands.com/

Bonine worked great for me on my first cruise this month. I took one the night before boarding then each morning thereafter. We had a cabin almost at the very front of the ship and I only felt mildly queasy one morning just before I took my Bonine. It did not make me drowsy at all.

Thank you to everyone for your reply & suggestions!

I'll be going with Bonine and ginger capsules prior and during the first part of the cruise and that seems like it should do it.

I'm happy that I won't have to feel like a Zombie this cruise! :cool: It's amazing how different medications affect us all differently.

Thanks again & happy cruising y'all!

Candied ginger and green apples do it for me.:)

WOW...never heard of the green apples for seasickness! Bonine seems to be the remedy of choice if you can't do the patch. I use it when we first get on the ship but don't need it after that. Probably don't need it that day either but don't really want to take the chance and not use it and end up ill!:eek:

Even the Non-Drowsy Bonine....made me drowsy.

/no help/

I'm tryin' ginger next time...

Not sure if this has been suggested, but take the medication (bonine, drammamine) on LAND before you leave..then you can see how it affects you. I am sure glad I did this, before my 1st cruise, I took regular Drammamine to see what it would do...I was "OUT" for 6 hours....from 1 pm to 7. Sure glad i didn't wait to take it on the ship LOL I took the non-drowsy on the ship, not bothering to try it out at home because it said "non-drowsy" on it. Big mistake, I spent the afternoon snoozin' on one of the benches on the side of the ship (inside) :o

Edited by Traveller20074

WOW...never heard of the green apples for seasickness! Bonine seems to be the remedy of choice if you can't do the patch. I use it when we first get on the ship but don't need it after that. Probably don't need it that day either but don't really want to take the chance and not use it and end up ill!:eek:

We've heard of green apples for motion sickness. If the buffet has green apples I always take a couple of them back to our cabin for my husband since that's all he uses usually to prevent motion sickness.

I also always pack a bottle of ginger capsules since many times a capsule in the morning means I don't need a bonine later if the ocean is a little choppy.

I am very suseptible to seasickness... have tried everything you can think of.. some work some dont... but the ones that worked tended to cause me drowsiness... I watched an old Myth Busters show on dizzyness and seasickness... they came to the conclusion that Ginger tablets were the best... I have started using those for the last 6 or so cruises and have had NO seasickness and no side effects... I am hooked on Ginger... you can pick them up at most discount pharmacies... I start taking two a day for about a week before the cruise..and then all through the cruise... have had no problems

good luck

But remember that the show did not consider drugs, only herbs and things like wrist bands.

I can't stand the drowsy feeling either so I used a Bio Band on our cruise. I tried the sweatband-type SeaBands before and they didn't work, but for some reason this one did. We had some pretty rough seas the last couple days and as long as I had the band on I didn't even notice.

http://www.biobands.com/

Seabands did not work for DH either. He uses Bonine now, and it does the trick.

Crew suggested it to be on a HAL ship years ago...we were doing Alaska and I felt a little sick the morn when we did the glaciers.

I have tried many - the patch (prescribed by Dr.), dramanine, ginger, etc. I find bonine worked the best. I take it a few housr prior to sailing. I don't take it while in port. I think it works the best with the least amount of side effects.

I like Bonine because you just have to take it once a day (1 or 2 chewable tablets). It does make you drowsy, but I took it at night and it helped me sleep, so I was killing 2 birds with 1 stone. You can buy it over the counter at any drug store. Regardless of which drug (or patch, etc.) you use, just make sure that you start taking it for about 2 nights prior to boarding the ship -- that way it is in your system. I think a lot of people wait until they feel sick before starting to take something, but it can take a couple of days to get into your system and be effective. I make sure that everyone traveling with me takes it, even if they are not prone to seasickness. That way no one is missing out on all the fun.

My mother gets severe seasickness. She takes 2 meclazine (the ingredient in bonine) the morning we board and 1 each morning therafter. Never a problem. Non drowsy dramamine is the same ingredient but I found it to be more expensive and it's not chewable like bonine is (good if the kids feel ill). Never tried ginger and I stay away from all that holistic crud. Keep your herbs, beads, etc and give me good old science and chemistry.

My husband & I take 1/2 of a Meclizine & a ginger capsule each morning and every night during our cruise. So far we have had no problems. We start the ginger a few days before our cruise starts. We don't know if we are prone to seasickness or not but we don't want to take any chances. We don't get drowsy either and I have issues with a lot of meds causing dizziness.

Good luck & have a great cruise.

We tried everything from wrist bands to drugs, including electronic wrist bands. We now use Bonine after reading about it on this website.

It works great.

-Jim

-8 degrees F in Buffalo today. The next cruise is looking better all the time.

There are obviously things that work well for some people and opinions aboput other methods. To the OP, If this is your first cruise (or the first for the person who gets seasick, I forget the original post), consider a combination and a backup supply of another option... perhaps something like taking ginger for a few days before and as you start the cruise. Have a supply of meclazine on hand just in case. Perhaps an ear clip of wristband in your back pocket just in case. None of these solutions are very expensive but I believe the fiels is narrowed down for you. Just a note on the meclazine... the first time my mother took a cruise and ended up sick in the ships infirmary, that's exactly what they gave her. I think it was RCI but I would still call it CruiseLine Approved. :-) Enjoy your trip.

• 3 years later...

HATED the patch... Would never use again or recommend it!!!

Love Bonine(generic) they give it out free at guest services. We take one at lunch when boarding, and drink while using it, and never had problem

Also green apples and pretzels (its something used in the baking of them)

Safe sailing

Love, Love, Love Bonine. I get motion sickness easily and taking bonine has been a god send. I usually begin taking a day before we leave for the plane ride and each night before bed while cruising. Never have had a problem on any boat excursions etc. it has worked great.

What's the best NON-DROWSY, hardly any side effect medication to prevent seasickness?

The reason I ask: I went on a cruise last year and had a patch (scopomaline patch) that I used behind my ear. I didn't get seasick but I was so woozy, drowsy and a bit dizzy that it was hard to keep on the go and I just felt awful (even though I made myself have a great time and keep on the go - was just so tired). Not sure if it's related but, sitting in the sun even for a little bit made me feel nauseated, I had a very dry mouth and I broke out into a rash - like I said, not sure if it's related but I've never had that happen before.

I don't want to feel like a Zombie again! :eek:

What do you recommend? I've read a little on ginger pills, but want something stronger to take just in case.

Green apples from the buffet