Another balcony question!

hillbillycruisers

Ok...so its gonna be our first time with a Balcony ( Triumph..Dec. 5th )...needless to say, we are pretty excited, especially after reading all you good folks posting about how great they are...and all the cool pics. So..here's the question: Do the balcony doors have locks on them ( I'm guessing they do )...and has any of you accidentilly locked yourselves outside?? ( sorry...guess thats two questions ) I'd like to think I'd be a little smarter than to do that, but I can just picture this scenario: My wife and I are all dressed up for Elegant Night dinner...we venture out on the balcony for romantic kiss and a quick peek at the setting sun...suddenly, the door shuts behind us ( gust of wind...ship lurches suddenly...ghost...take your pick ). Now we are stuck...were missing our dinner...someone else is getting my lobster and warm choc melting cake!!!...someone please tell me this nightmare cant happen!!! :)

Yes the balcony doors have locks. But I have never seen "self" or "auto" locks that are activated when the door closes. Most seem to be manual "throws" that require deliberate action. However, I can't say that I have seen every type of balcony door, only those on 13 cruises.

Because I am a person that thinks about those things in advance...I too have been concerned. Just put a small towel in the doorway to keep the door from shutting completely, and that will take care of the problem (not elegantly, but what's elegant about being stuck outside your own stateroom)?

Having said that, I have never actually heard of this occurring....but there are some things for which you do NOT want to be the first :D

Nope.. they should only lock from the inside!! So unless DW decides to go for dinner with someone other than 'the love of her life' :) you're good to go. Just watch out for the flying fish if you leave the door open...:D

Actually, on the Voyager, room 9690, I saw a WARNING on the door to the balcony about getting locked out. Somebody that's going to be in that room soon.....take a look.

Or, in a couple weeks I'll be back from the Voyager again. If I see the warning on my balcony door, I'll post it, but I don't think there will be. Most of RCCL's balcony doors slide, but the door in 9690 opens out. It's an aft corner, and there's really no room for a sliding door there, but I'll be in a different stateroom this trip.

Actually, on the Voyager, room 9690, I saw a WARNING on the door to the balcony about getting locked out. Somebody that's going to be in that room soon.....take a look.

Or, in a couple weeks I'll be back from the Voyager again. If I see the warning on my balcony door, I'll post it, but I don't think there will be. Most of RCCL's balcony doors slide, but the door in 9690 opens out. It's an aft corner, and there's really no room for a sliding door there, but I'll be in a different stateroom this trip.

We were in the corner 9690 on Mariner last year, there was a doorstop wedge provided. But the door wouldn't have locked itself, it had to be locked from the inside with a dead bolt.

The only time anyone got locked outside on a balcony in our cabin was my Aunt. She insisted on coming into our cabin even though I told her my husband was in the shower and would very soon be coming out in his birthday suit. She said she would just wait on the balcony, I was putting makeup on and still needed to get dressed so I locked her out there, pulled the drapes closed and we had the privacy we paid for ;) I did provide her with a glass of wine during her "lockdown".

We were in the corner 9690 on Mariner last year, there was a doorstop wedge provided. But the door wouldn't have locked itself, it had to be locked from the inside with a dead bolt.

The only time anyone got locked outside on a balcony in our cabin was my Aunt. She insisted on coming into our cabin even though I told her my husband was in the shower and would very soon be coming out in his birthday suit. She said she would just wait on the balcony, I was putting makeup on and still needed to get dressed so I locked her out there, pulled the drapes closed and we had the privacy we paid for ;) I did provide her with a glass of wine during her "lockdown".

Too funny!

I was wondering, too, what I would have had to do to get locked out, but -I'm sorry - it's just in my nature - I heed warnings :D So I figured, even if *I* didn't know how to do it, maybe it could be done.

Ok...so its gonna be our first time with a Balcony ( Triumph..Dec. 5th )...needless to say, we are pretty excited, especially after reading all you good folks posting about how great they are...and all the cool pics. So..here's the question: Do the balcony doors have locks on them ( I'm guessing they do )...and has any of you accidentilly locked yourselves outside?? ( sorry...guess thats two questions ) I'd like to think I'd be a little smarter than to do that, but I can just picture this scenario: My wife and I are all dressed up for Elegant Night dinner...we venture out on the balcony for romantic kiss and a quick peek at the setting sun...suddenly, the door shuts behind us ( gust of wind...ship lurches suddenly...ghost...take your pick ). Now we are stuck...were missing our dinner...someone else is getting my lobster and warm choc melting cake!!!...someone please tell me this nightmare cant happen!!! :)

We just cruised on this ship, the Triumph. Carnival's balcony doors are different than RCCL and Princess' doors. They are not sliding doors, but rather hinged doors. They have a handle that you have to swing down and press to lock them. The door will definitely close (and usually slam) behind you when you go out on the balcony if you don't prop it open. It's made to do that. They don't want you to keep the doors open. It would be rare, that it would actually lock behind you. It took us some actual effort to lock our door. We had to push the lever into the locked position. I can't imagine that even with the door slamming hard that it would have locked. (At least not the door we had!) If you're worried, just keep a wash rag next to the door and put it in the jam when you go on your balcony.

We just cruised on this ship, the Triumph. Carnival's balcony doors are different than RCCL and Princess' doors.

Not entirely, which is why I addressed 9690 on the Voyager class of RCCL. They have exactly the same door as is ubiquitous on Carnival. Which is why I suppose they have a warning on the door, and why I suggested the towel in the doorjamb :D

As a last resort, I suppose the OP can hope someone else is out on their balcony and can hear their cries of distress! ;)

Not entirely, which is why I addressed 9690 on the Voyager class of RCCL. They have exactly the same door as is ubiquitous on Carnival. Which is why I suppose they have a warning on the door, and why I suggested the towel in the doorjamb :D

As a last resort, I suppose the OP can hope someone else is out on their balcony and can hear their cries of distress! ;)

Well, thank you for pointing out that the Voyager class is different. I've only been on the other classes on RCCL. We'll be on the Voyager in November, so I'll plan on keeping that wash cloth close to the door! LOL Gosh, I much rather the sliding doors. You don't have to hear that slamming noise constantly. Oh well, a small price to have that balcony!

To be clear: ONLY on the small aft balcony cabins! I am sure all the other ones are sliding! That would be on deck 9 port and starboard corners (but not between), and maybe ten as well. Not necessarily 7, 6, or 5, and not the aft cabins that are not on the corner. So I am talking potentially 4 cabin doors out of hundreds!

To be clear: ONLY on the small aft balcony cabins! I am sure all the other ones are sliding! That would be on deck 9 port and starboard corners (but not between), and maybe ten as well. Not necessarily 7, 6, or 5, and not the aft cabins that are not on the corner. So I am talking potentially 4 cabin doors out of hundreds!

Oh, okey dokey.....Then we should have the usual Royal Caribbean sliding doors on our VOS balcony (on the hump, yay!). They are so much nicer than the slamming doors.

The doors do not lock automatically. Most have a "turn-key" that only locks from the inside.

The real problem is this: Once you've upgraded to a balcony, you'll never go back. Your cruise budget has increased forever......

The doors do not lock automatically. Most have a "turn-key" that only locks from the inside.

The real problem is this: Once you've upgraded to a balcony' date=' you'll never go back. Your cruise budget has increased forever......[/quote']

Thats what I'm hearing...guess I'll just have to budget more from now on!!!:)

Archived