What time are reservations available for Anytime

Dena

We have not cruised Princess in a few years, but when we did we had to call each morning to make Anytime Dining reservations and even if we called when they first opened, we could not get reservations before 8pm. Actually, there were reservations avaiable extremely early as well, but I would not even consider eating before 6. We like to enjoy the day and watch the sunset.

We could only make reservations for one day at a time and having to call at 8 am was inconvenient since we would rather be at MDR for breakfast at this time. Has anything changed. Ideally, we would like 7:45 or even 7:30 or at earliest 7:00 reservations.

Part of the problem is the other couple we are traveling with. They enjoy the late show and want to get there early and sit in the first row. This means they always want to rush dinners and skip courses. DH and I don't want to go to the shows and, when traveling alone, just go to dinner at 8 and take our time.

I am trying to arrange things so we meet for a nice lunch in MDR (maybe even breakfast too) and go our own way for dinner so that everyone can do as

they want in the evening. I don't know if this will fly. It didn't the last time we cruised with them. They took it as an insult that we did not enjoy the shows. Also, we did not want to tour the port and they did. When we stayed onboard this also offended them. Normally we would not cruise with them again, but they are family and it is a milestone birthday for one of them. We are also paying for everyone on this cruise in mini suites. I have tried to prepare them by saying I have work related deadlines (true) the week after the cruise and will be bringing work along. I've been told to work double hard and get it done before the cruise so we can go to the shows and tour the ports. Ug! Anyway, dinner at 7:30 would help to smooth things over. At least DH and I could enjoy a leisurely meal before being forced to a show. Of course, it will not solve the port touring problem. Telling them DH is tired from celiac disease and is afraid to be away from a bathroom just results in me being told to leave him onboard. I know much of this is not a cruise question, but I wonder if any might propose a creative solution. This will almost certainly be our last cruise together, so maybe just endure it? I was thinking of encouraging them to see if some of their friends who enjoy ports and shows would be interested in sailing.

This is an area where Princess is inconsistent. It appears to be up to the Maitre 'd to decide when to accept reservations. Some allow reservations for the entire cruise. Others only a day at a time. Some allow reservations for the entire evening. Others only boefore 6 or after 8 (or similar times) and some don't allow any reservations.

Dena, you are cruising with very selfish people and until you stand up to them you can't win. What do you mean you HAVE to go to shows? It's your vacation; you can do whatever you want. Sorry..........but the only solution to your problem is that you need to make new rules.

I know, Pia. I know. But you can't teach old dogs new tricks. I am trying to make this trip special for them, so I will have no regrets down the road. But I would still like DH and I to get some enjoyment from the trip. After all DH's health is not 100% and we never know how many more cruises any of us have. I'm trying to find middle ground. Like you, I fear this may be a fool's errand.

I know, Pia. I know. But you can't teach old dogs new tricks. I am trying to make this trip special for them, so I will have no regrets down the road. But I would still like DH and I to get some enjoyment from the trip. After all DH's health is not 100% and we never know how many more cruises any of us have. I'm trying to find middle ground. Like you, I fear this may be a fool's errand.

I'm sorry for sounding off and sticking my nose where it really doesn't belong. But, I get so angry sometimes, and I know that there are things that cannot always be controlled. I do wish you the best.

I am trying to make this trip special for them, so I will have no regrets down the road.

You're paying for their mini-suite yet they control your level of enjoyment?

Trust me, you will have regrets down the road, whether it's from them for you not kissing their butts, or from within for kissing their butts.

Tell them the shows are not your thing and you'll meet up with them afterwords, and you could go to anytime at 6pm and be done in time for the shows (anytime is anytime).

Jim

I had the same frustration with Anytime when it was first introduced. From reading these boards it appears that some M'd's allow standing reservations and also take 7.30 reservations. So I would advise being really charming when you plead your case on Day One. If you can get a table at 7.30 that will at least have everyone dining together.

Of course Pia and others are right, its not fair to you and your husband but of course we all have to do what we can to keep peace in the family!

I hope you can find some compromises and some fun on your cruise!

NoGvnt, you are right. I've put myself in a no win situation and will have regrets either way.

Liz, that is a plan that might work.

Otherwise, I think I will try the following. Having a nice lunch with them in MDR and suggesting we meet for lunch again tomorrow. If they mention dinner, I will say I don't know when we are going to dinner because I don't know how far along I will be with the work I have to do onboard (yes, I really am bringing some work, mainly reading). I asked Princess to put them across the hall, but they put them nearly next door instead (one cabin in-between). They will probably stop by on their way to dinner and I will say that I'm on a roll and don't want to take a break. It might work, but it will probably cause tension. I am beginning to remember why it has been six years since the last time we cruised together.

Sorry to be thick but I haven't cruised before so please be patient. I have selected 'Anytime Dining' and believed this meant I could turn up when ready at anytime each night and I would get seated when a table became available, do I have to make a reservation or is it just that some like to pre book a time?

Cheers

Dena, if you are on a cruise that features an additional fixed early seating at 5:30, you might not be given an option for a reservation before 8 PM. Long story short, we found on our last cruise (also traveling with a group of friends) that it was easier to go to one of the dining rooms around 7:15 and ask for the appropriate sized table. It worked out well. Once they got to know us they anticipated our request and usually had a large table ready for us, or two tables located next to one another. Our group, totalling 13, was almost unmanageable for anytime but they eventually made it work for us.

do I have to make a reservation or is it just that some like to pre book a time?

You don't need a reservation. If it's just two of you, you can ask to share with others, and normally will be seated quickly.

Sorry to be thick but I haven't cruised before so please be patient. I have selected 'Anytime Dining' and believed this meant I could turn up when ready at anytime each night and I would get seated when a table became available, do I have to make a reservation or is it just that some like to pre book a time?

Cheers

No, you do not need to make a reservation. Show up whenever you are ready to eat and you will be seated as soon as a table, the size you request, is available. If there will be a wait, they will give you a beeper.

We are also paying for everyone on this cruise in mini suites.

If you pay for my mini-suite, I (and probably 10,000 other

correspondents here) will gladly join you in the dining room

for dinner at any time you wish.

Maybe even if it were only a Balcony...

On each of my cruises, I have taken Anytime Dining. Never made a reservation. As long as you don't mind sharing a table, you most likely won't have a wait. We must have gone late enough because we always requested a table for two, if available, and were accommodated most of the time.

One of these days, I may just try Traditional Dining, but I like the flexibility of Anytime.

If you pay for my mini-suite, I (and probably 10,000 other

correspondents here) will gladly join you in the dining room

for dinner at any time you wish.

Maybe even if it were only a Balcony...

:D:D:D:D Pablo. Me too - I'd even take an inside. :)

Moreover I am more than happy to eat wherever and whenever Dena should choose at whatever time she chooses. Neither DH nor I 'do shows', but definitely like to watch sunsets with a cocktail. Eating around 8PM works just fine for us. Oh and DH isn't really a port person although I am. But no worries as I don't expect you to accompany me. I also shop. Maybe you like to do that?

So are ya thinkin' maybe you want to replace the present 'free pita recipients' with some folks that you can kinda work with? Are ya shurr you wanna do this thing with them? :)

Peace in the family is one thing and worth some effort but seems to me you are bending waaay over backwards. Wouldn't want to see you upside down on this with a bunch of bad memories/feelings. Sometimes you just have to draw the line, ya know?

All the best and hope things work out. Kinda sad to have all this stress before (and possibly during) a lovely trip.

Dena,

You will just have to wait until onboard to see if your ship and maitre'd will allow you to make a reservation in Anytime at 7:30 or not. And if not, perhaps just showing up with your party of four around 7:15 will be enough to get both you your leisurely meal and your family members their front row seat at the show. And if that is not enough for them, then perhaps bring up plan B; lunches in MDR. Try not to fret too much in advance, it's gonna be what it's gonna be.

Cherylandtk,

This is good advice. Whatever will be, will be.

DH pointed out that I'm getting all stressed because dinner might be rushed by our companions so they can go to the show. But they could always leave the dining room before us. Or maybe, we will skip the salad course and instead order a room service salad around 4 pm. Given that we only eat in the dining room because DH has celiac disease, I think we'd be hungry by 4. We don't do the afternoon tea because there is not one thing he can eat there. And it could be nice to enjoy a salad on the balcony. So, I am done thinking about this fir a while. Thanks to all of you for your input and advice.

Archived