San Juan with little people

thekings23

Been browsing through the San Juan port of call thread and there isn't much there. We are stopping in San Juan on our glory cruise and I can't figure out what to do, we will have our 2 boys with us age 4 and 2. Any suggestions from my Carnival peeps?

Been browsing through the San Juan port of call thread and there isn't much there. We are stopping in San Juan on our glory cruise and I can't figure out what to do, we will have our 2 boys with us age 4 and 2. Any suggestions from my Carnival peeps?

Children- you are traveling with children- is that right? Your title suggests something else. Anyway, uou might want to look at the family travel section and also the Ports of Call for ideas.

Children- you are traveling with children- is that right? Your title suggests something else. Anyway, uou might want to look at the family travel section and also the Ports of Call for ideas.

I guess you can call them children, kids, rug rats, mini's, or whatever. To directly answer your question, yes I am traveling with my children and not with the politically correct way of saying midgets.

Take them in to Old San Juan, up to El Morro castle/fortress. Let them climb in and out of the battlements. Walk up and down the cobblestoned streets paved with blue cobbles. They were ballast off ships who picked up exports (sugar/molassas/rum?) from the island and no longer needed the weight.

There are also beaches near Old San Juan (San Juan Veijo) if you want a beach day.

thekings23,

Your four year old would love the forts, but it's too much walking for your two year old. If you have a stroller to use for him and you're in good shape, then do one of the forts.

Midgets are 'little people' in the politically correct world? :confused: I'm glad I didn't know that because I've called them midgets forever. :o

They will LOVE the forts! Just make sure you grab water - either at CVS across from the cruise terminal or on board the ship - San Juan is just plain hot and you'll be out in the sun a lot - so water is a must. My three girls are a bit older than your boys, but they loved the fort - there is a lot of room to get rid of that energy kids always seem to have, things to climb, views for you guys, and a sort of air conditioned theatre for when your feet are tired and you want a rest.

I'd suggest you grab the free trolley and take the loop around the city, too - we jumped off and had Mallorcas (kind of like a grilled cheese sandwich covered in sugar - sounds gross, but OMG was it good!)

If the kids wear out early, you can always go back to the ship and hit the pool and water slide. We did find some good shopping in Old San Juan. We loved the island - in fact, we are taking a cruise on Victory later this year and will fly in a few days early to spend more time there. It's a beautiful place. Just remember, you are in a city - if you think and act accordingly, you'll be fine. (traffic, people who actually have to get somewhere on time, etc)

There are 2 forts - we jumped off the trolley early before the second one and walked across the big grassy lawn to get there - the good - there was a lot to look at - a very cool cemetary and some cool plant life. The bad - that lawn is a LOT bigger than it looks! If I had it to do over again, I'd probably have stayed on the trolley.

There is an ice cream cart up near the second fort which also sells cold drinks - if you or the kids need a mid-fort break, go ahead and take one. Also, when you get to the first fort (whichever order you decide to go in) they will tell you it's cheaper to buy a combination ticket for both forts. What they won't tell you is that you can wait until you get to the second fort, show them the ticket/receipt from the first fort, and pay the difference between single fort admission and the reduced two-fort price. I paid for both forts, then my mom said she wasn't sure she could make it through both forts in the heat (she did fine) and they told her about that option - but unless you ask for it or say something to make them bring it up, you won't be offered that option.

Last tip - the trolleys aren't really stroller friendly - a big one won't fit, so you'll want to plan on the smaller, umbrella type strollers as you should be just fine getting those on and off. Have fun in S.J.!

We were just there with a 3-year old. Let's face it, pretty much anything you do will involve carrying around a preschooler at some point or if you're taking a stroller you will find the forts are stroller friendly. We stayed 3 extra days at the end of our Victory cruise and we spent some time in OSJ which was cool and also saw San Cristobel fortress. The best thing we did though was El Yunque forest. Not sure if you could fit that into a cruise stop day. There was a moderate hike through a nice (not too hot) rainforest and you can swim in a waterfall. DD loved the waterfall.

Boys of all ages love forts. Two of the best in the western hemisphere are right near the ship!

The boys would love the forts as people are saying. Kids of all ages think these places are great.

CopyofCopyofIMG_0187.jpg

100_4176.jpg

100_4220.jpg

CopyofIMG_0232.jpg

CopyofCopyofIMG_0236.jpg

DSCF6837.jpg

These forts are magical. You will not be disapointed if you go. The views can't be beat. another thing you can do is to watch the people flying their kites on the lawn in front of El Morro (the bigger fort) How long is the stop there?

Dirkgun~I love the photo of your son in front of the canon!!! I have to show that to mine and I am sure we will have a similar photo!!

One thing your kids amy enjoy is walking the sidewalk along the bottom on the city wall, thru the old city gate. There are (or were last time we were there) tons of cats that live there, the humane society feeds them, they are so fun to see! The cats do not run up to or chase people, and I would encourage your kids not to touch them, but like any feral animal, they really won't let them.

But yes to the forts like all the others have said.

[quote=Dirkgun;

These forts are magical. You will not be disapointed if you go. The views can't be beat. another thing you can do is to watch the people flying their kites on the lawn in front of El Morro (the bigger fort) How long is the stop there?

Awesome! Thank you so much for the help. The ship docks at 7 and departs at 3:30, so a nice afternoon and lunch in OSJ sounds like a plan.

I guess you can call them children, kids, rug rats, mini's, or whatever. To directly answer your question, yes I am traveling with my children and not with the politically correct way of saying midgets.

I thought you were referring to the Liliputians from Gulliver's Travels! :eek:

Take them on the horse drawn buggy tour as well! You will love the forts as well as your boys will. It will be really hot though so be prepared. Have fun!

It's 0 degrees outside as I type this, really hot sounds amazing. Where can I find this horse drawn buggy tour? The boys would love that, and so would the wifey. I am trying to avoid booking through Carnival, as the cost is insane.

It's 0 degrees outside as I type this, really hot sounds amazing. Where can I find this horse drawn buggy tour? The boys would love that, and so would the wifey. I am trying to avoid booking through Carnival, as the cost is insane.

I know. We rarely book excursions from CCL anymore unless its a cabana on HMC!

When you leave the cruse terminal, take a left and walk a little ways until you see the little courtyard are. There will be a vendor offering rides. I think it was like $35.00 for DH and I. It was beautiful and our driver/guide gave a great recommendation for a restaurant.

If you go to the fort at El Morro, you can buy a kite for about $4 from one of the vendors. BEFORE you make the climb up the hill, to your right there are vendors on the street and one of them sells kites. My son had a blast flying his kite there. Although it was a cheap quality kite, I couldn't believe how high up it flew.

Have a great cruise.

The boys would love the forts as people are saying. Kids of all ages think these places are great.

CopyofCopyofIMG_0187.jpg

I have the exact same picture when I visited San Juan in 1977, it is of me and my sister (we were 9 & 11) we are both on the same cruise and plan on taking another pic to go with the '77 pic. also my boys (11 / 13) will have a ball at the fort.

Jim

I know. We rarely book excursions from CCL anymore unless its a cabana on HMC!

When you leave the cruse terminal, take a left and walk a little ways until you see the little courtyard are. There will be a vendor offering rides. I think it was like $35.00 for DH and I. It was beautiful and our driver/guide gave a great recommendation for a restaurant.

Just past the horse drawn carriages (which would be a great way to see the city) is a sidewalk vendor area called "Paseo de la Princessa" there will lots of vendors with crafts/trinkets and then some really good Churros and drinks etc. There is also a guy that cuts and sells these oranges that are extremely refreshing when it is so hot and humid. He also does a fresh squeexed OJ ... I think the oranges are like $.50 a piece and they are big. The juice is like $1 with ice and $1.50 without ice. The smell from the orange peels is incredible. It is on the way if you wanted to walk up there to the fort.

100_5550.jpg

DSCF0098.jpg

DSCF6882.jpg

DSCF6750.jpg

DSCF6781.jpg

DSCF6813.jpg

I Love this City

Archived