Gare du Nord Train Station

KirkNC

So I am still trying to determine how far in advance I need to arrive at the station. Given our early departure I don't want to get there and stand around for an hour. Is 5:45 early enough to check-in and get on the train?

Kirk

You won't need to check in at all. You can just board when the train arrives in the station and as very little will be open at that time of the morning I would aim to arrive around 30 minutes before time of departure.

Still waiting (and hoping) for the e-mail with the infamous "2D barcode" I have sent three e-mails to Thalys all of which have gone unanswered. So do you think the fact that I am booking 2 1/2 months in advance is why I have not gotten the e-mail? Quite frustrating, I will probably do a charge back on my credit card next week unless I hear something from them.

Kirk

Still waiting (and hoping) for the e-mail with the infamous "2D barcode" I have sent three e-mails to Thalys all of which have gone unanswered. So do you think the fact that I am booking 2 1/2 months in advance is why I have not gotten the e-mail? Quite frustrating, I will probably do a charge back on my credit card next week unless I hear something from them.

Kirk

I was hoping you had good news to report--

I checked and I purchased my tickets online last year on March 11 for travel on June 10. I think I specifically planned to be in the 3 month window. Therefore, I doubt this is the cause for your delay. This must be frustrasting, I wish you would receive good news soon.

I purchased train tickets online through Trenitalia for Italy this summer and their 2D barcode came within minutes as an attachment to the confirmation. This is my first experience with Italians being so fast and efficient- very impressed. Maybe Thalys should take note- putting folks through this delay is not pleasant.

Has anyone else purchased tickets online from Thalys this summer? Let us know your experience.

Sorry to hear people are having issues getting Thalys tickets. I booked my train from Amsterdam to Paris as soon as the schedule opened up for the date I wanted. The confirmation email came right away but the bar code confirmation took 2 days. In the meantime I had written to Thalys customer service, I didn't get a reply for a week from them and it was a generic form at best, but by that time I had received my barcoded email. The Thalys reservation site is actually used by 4 different booking systems, Netherlands, Belgium, Germany and France and I believe the system used is based on where you are boarding the train. There is no way to actually say what seats you would like, my to my dismay, so you kind of have to take what is assigned. There are phone numbers you can call, I believe they are as follows:

If you were charged by:

SNCB/NMBS, contact the NMBS aftersales on the number

0032 70 79 79 79

NS Hispeed, contact NS Hispeed Telesales on the number

0031 301 331 676

SNCF, contact their Telesales department on the number

0033 892 35 35 36

DB, contact their Telesales center on 0049 1805 99 66 33.

I have not tried these numbers but they were given in the generic email from customer service.

Hope this helps.

I have not had an opportunity to call but did see posts on Trip Advisor that several people had the exact problem I am having and one was nice enough to post after their trip that they just showed the confirm and ID's to the conductor and it was not a problem.

Kirk

I purchased online also, and recieved a email with our seat assignments, and a e-ticket numbers and there's a web link to instruct you how to print out your e-tickets at the kiosks in any train station in france... No bar code reference at all.

My email confirmation sounds pretty simple.. (I hope it actually is :confused:)

Srpilo

No link on my e-mail. As I continue to search for an answer to this it is becoming clear that many have this same problem, they have also e-mailed Thayls with no results. It does appear though that as long as you have your booking number, SNR and an ID that you are fine.

Kirk

Well to close the loop on this one, I finally received a reply from Thalys (after 5 e-mails and two weeks) that stated:

If you have not received the second email, you can travel with the booking reference (or PNR code) of 6 letters that is given in the first confirmation. The Train Manager can enter this code in his hand computer and can verify your booking with the PNR-code.

I asked the department of ticketless if thay can send to you the Ticketless for your next journey. If you do not receive the ticket with 2D, just print out your first confirmation Email.

So this confirms that either the booking number or PNR code (both of which come on the first e-mail are sufficient.

Kirk

Is there really a "department of ticketless" ?:p For some reason that makes me chuckle. Thankfully our 2D tickets and seats came through fairly fast. My problem was I could not understand the way the seats were assigned. finally got 4 together. Maybe they need a "department for the clueless".

Is there really a "department of ticketless" ?:p For some reason that makes me chuckle. Thankfully our 2D tickets and seats came through fairly fast. My problem was I could not understand the way the seats were assigned. finally got 4 together. Maybe they need a "department for the clueless".

It ought to be a Department of the Clueless based on my experience.

Kirk

• 1 month later...

I am sure that you know all this information already, but just in case, your train will leave from Paris Nord station which is in the same complex as Gard du Nord and the Thalys trains leave from platforms situated on the ground floor, so no stairways etc to negotiate with your luggage and very easy to locate departure boards and correct platforms

Your train will leave in the area marked 'Grande Lignes', the Eurostar Service leaves from there too.

At that time in the morning, it shouldn't be too crowded but just make sure that you keep your wallet safe, as from time to time I have observed gangs of pickpockets working the station (guess this happens in all big cities all over the world), also the obvious old trick of being approached by someone claiming you have dropped a gold ring or wallet, very annoying!

You don't have to check in, and in my experience the train conductors are very helpful.

Bon courage and have a wonderful trip

• 2 years later...

Hello. I have a slightly different question about the train. My friend purchased a set of tickets and on one the last name got entered wrong by accident. She has the bar code email along with her confirmation email. Does having the name correct matter? The date and time for the train are correct. She has emailed customer service twice and not heard back.

Thanks.

Archived