Just returned from Summit Jan.15-22

bigreckster

We just returned from a relaxing cruise aboard Summit from San Juan. We're in our 60's, have 40 cruises under our belt (about half with Celebrity) and are CC Elite. We were in Sky Suite 6131 with that great expansive balcony, the same cabin we had last Jan. on Summit! We arrived a day early from the northeast and spent a pleasant day at the Embassy Suites...warm weather and a great pool area! Embarkation was very smooth...we were on board by noon and cabins were ready by 1 PM. Yes, the Summit does show her age but everything was clean, polished and the crew's attention to detail was evident throughout the cruise. We love these M class ships and hope that all of them will be updated and kept in the fleet for years to come. The Summit crew was friendly and always had a smile and a warm greeting everywhere you went. We had been to all the ports many times (Antigua seems to be our least favorite with little to speak of) but enjoyed St. Thomas, St. Maarten and Barbados especially. We received a complimentary dinner the first night in the specialty restaurant (as was the case last year) and the food and service were again superb. Our experience with the main dining room was not as pleasant. I know food menus and tastes are very subjective but there were evenings when we really found nothing on the regular menu that was appealing to our tastes (Chilean sea bass with BBQ sauce? turkey parmesean? I'm sure many liked them but we passed and ended up eating in Normandie for four nights...after the second evening they offered to make us literally anything we chose and every dish was well prepared and tastefully presented. In all our years with Celebrity, the dining this year slipped to a new low "in our opinion" (please take it as our opinion and don't flame us for sharing it!!!). If the menu remains the same, we'll just have to eat every evening in the specialty restaurant and bear the additional expense. Other food venues seemed to be fine as usual and we were pleased to see new, updated musical revue shows by strong entertainers (the solo comedian and pianist were also excellent). The weather was good throughout and we enjoyed our Caribbean visit while it snowed back home. Disembarkation was a breeze and we all laughed on the flight home when the pilot announced the temps. back in NJ and asked whether we "really wanted to return home?" Glad to answer any questions you have.

We were on the Summit the week prior to your cruise and had quite a different experience. We loved the main dining room, both food and service. Our two nights in Normandie were very disappointing. Food was overcooked and service was slower than a snail in snow. Our 8pm reservation resullted in getting our first course at 9:30 on the second night. Lobster was much better in the MDR, not the overcooked rubberized version served in Normandie. I would say it was an off night, but it happened to me two nights in a row. I did not formally complain, but I guess I should have. By the time we were finished, I just wanted to go to bed.:(

We were on the same cruise which just returned the 22nd. We had mostly wonderful meals there every night. Our waiter was terrific and we had a party of 17 which included 5 kids. Everyone was happy. One night the adults ( 12 of us) had dinner in the Normandie. The atmosphere was very adult and lovely but some of the food was served lukewarm and some of the steaks were overdone. The waiters were attentive but service was very slow. We had a 7 p.m. reservation and left after 10:30. We really loved the homemade breads and pastries in the dining room and buffets. The chocolate buffet was a wonderful indulgence! Loved the ship. Miss it too.

Did you by any chance notice if they served any domestic microbrew beers ? Also, how was martini bar? Loved it when on Constellation and Sudi was there...spent a lot of quality time there!!! Also, are liquor prices same as Solstice? ie...$10 Martini. Thanks!

We just returned from a relaxing cruise aboard Summit from San Juan. We're in our 60's, have 40 cruises under our belt (about half with Celebrity) and are CC Elite. We were in Sky Suite 6131 with that great expansive balcony, the same cabin we had last Jan. on Summit! We arrived a day early from the northeast and spent a pleasant day at the Embassy Suites...warm weather and a great pool area! Embarkation was very smooth...we were on board by noon and cabins were ready by 1 PM. Yes, the Summit does show her age but everything was clean, polished and the crew's attention to detail was evident throughout the cruise. We love these M class ships and hope that all of them will be updated and kept in the fleet for years to come. The Summit crew was friendly and always had a smile and a warm greeting everywhere you went. We had been to all the ports many times (Antigua seems to be our least favorite with little to speak of) but enjoyed St. Thomas, St. Maarten and Barbados especially. We received a complimentary dinner the first night in the specialty restaurant (as was the case last year) and the food and service were again superb. Our experience with the main dining room was not as pleasant. I know food menus and tastes are very subjective but there were evenings when we really found nothing on the regular menu that was appealing to our tastes (Chilean sea bass with BBQ sauce? turkey parmesean? I'm sure many liked them but we passed and ended up eating in Normandie for four nights...after the second evening they offered to make us literally anything we chose and every dish was well prepared and tastefully presented. In all our years with Celebrity, the dining this year slipped to a new low "in our opinion" (please take it as our opinion and don't flame us for sharing it!!!). If the menu remains the same, we'll just have to eat every evening in the specialty restaurant and bear the additional expense. Other food venues seemed to be fine as usual and we were pleased to see new, updated musical revue shows by strong entertainers (the solo comedian and pianist were also excellent). The weather was good throughout and we enjoyed our Caribbean visit while it snowed back home. Disembarkation was a breeze and we all laughed on the flight home when the pilot announced the temps. back in NJ and asked whether we "really wanted to return home?" Glad to answer any questions you have.

Thanks for the update, we have friends and family sailing on her in a few weeks

The Sea Bass with the BBQ sauce was so good on our last 2 cruises! great spin on the basic boring Sea bass,

We were on the Summit the week prior to your cruise and had quite a different experience. We loved the main dining room, both food and service. Our two nights in Normandie were very disappointing. Food was overcooked and service was slower than a snail in snow. Our 8pm reservation resullted in getting our first course at 9:30 on the second night. Lobster was much better in the MDR, not the overcooked rubberized version served in Normandie. I would say it was an off night, but it happened to me two nights in a row. I did not formally complain, but I guess I should have. By the time we were finished, I just wanted to go to bed.:(

While we enjoyed the food and the dining experience in Normandie (as well as MDR), I agree that it was quite slowly paced, but that's part of the experience. We ate there 3 times and each time we spent about 2-1/2 hours there. Since the food was so rich, I didn't mind having time between courses to savor and digest each course and enjoy the ambiance. DH had the same experience with the lobster; said it was much better in DH. The lamb, duck and chateaubriand were all fantastic, however.

Reidel glass event was on the last full day (at sea for us)...formal nights were on Sunday and Thursday. Sorry I didn't notice much about either micro-brew beers or the martini bar since that's not our thing. Again, I knew the subjective nature of the menu offerings and only was speaking for ourselves in that regard. We also like to spend a good bit of time in our evening dining and didn't mind the wait between courses in Normandie....nice, quiet and refined works for us. That's what great about cruising...there's something to please everyone's tastes and plenty of venues aboard ship to eat at.

While we enjoyed the food and the dining experience in Normandie (as well as MDR), I agree that it was quite slowly paced, but that's part of the experience. We ate there 3 times and each time we spent about 2-1/2 hours there. Since the food was so rich, I didn't mind having time between courses to savor and digest each course and enjoy the ambiance. DH had the same experience with the lobster; said it was much better in DH. The lamb, duck and chateaubriand were all fantastic, however.

I agree it is part of the experience. That is how they ate back in the day. Dinner started at like 4 because you didnt get finnished until 8 or so lol.

I enjoyed the experience immensely although some of the food wasnt to my taste. I did try several things that I probably never would try before. Like the sweet breads.

I know food menus and tastes are very subjective but there were evenings when we really found nothing on the regular menu that was appealing to our tastes ..... In all our years with Celebrity, the dining this year slipped to a new low "in our opinion" (please take it as our opinion and don't flame us for sharing it!!!).

We still enjoy the cruising experience on celebrity but we drew the same conclusion when we were on Summit in September and Constellation in November (for my menu choices, my wife's alternate beef choices were to her taste). At this point only celebrity's non-smoking policy is keeping us from trying alternative menus for the sake of variety on other lines. We are about to return to Constellation for a B2B and I hope the preparation is more consistent.

To the OP..glad you had a good time. I will be on Summit next month

for the 4th time and can't wait to sail her again:) I have a feeling

I will find something to please my pallet:D;)

One question for you, how are you able to post without any sort

of link to your name? Just curious!

Did you by any chance notice if they served any domestic microbrew beers ? Also, how was martini bar? Loved it when on Constellation and Sudi was there...spent a lot of quality time there!!! Also, are liquor prices same as Solstice? ie...$10 Martini. Thanks!

There were no domestic microbrews on Summit; several imported quality beers, such as Leffe, Fransikaner and Hoegaarden.

I believe the drink prices are the same as on S Class ships.

To the OP..glad you had a good time. I will be on Summit next month

for the 4th time and can't wait to sail her again:) I have a feeling

I will find something to please my pallet:D;)

One question for you, how are you able to post without any sort

of link to your name? Just curious!

You are very observant, and that is a good question. I am curious too!!

You are very observant, and that is a good question. I am curious too!!

Did a quick look, bigreckster has been around since 2005 and done at least 12 post in the Celebrity Forum but mostly as a guest. I didn't know guest could write to the Board but wonder if his/her ID has somehow been grandfathered in and never accrues posting.

Sorry about all the mystery...I just for years have been registered and the "guest" status never changed but I was always logged in instantly on my computer just like my wife who is lilreckster. If I did something wrong or am not following the rules, I apologize...please someone with more computer saavy that me give me some advice on doing it correctly! (Yes, I have been reading the CC boards since 2005 and found them very helpful. Have also been "moved" sometimes to chime in or help someone with a question)

Sorry about all the mystery...I just for years have been registered and the "guest" status never changed but I was always logged in instantly on my computer just like my wife who is lilreckster. If I did something wrong or am not following the rules, I apologize...please someone with more computer saavy that me give me some advice on doing it correctly! (Yes, I have been reading the CC boards since 2005 and found them very helpful. Have also been "moved" sometimes to chime in or help someone with a question)

Hi, I wasn't saying you had done anything wrong:) I was just curious

how a person is able to post without the normal link to the screen

name used. No need to apologize.

I just thought when someone registers its with all the information,

and not just "guest".

I was curious about this myself. If you go to "Members List" at the top of any Cruise Critic page, then go to "Search Members" and search for your screen name, you come up as a Cool Cruiser with 127 posts and a sun-with-shades avatar. If you'd like to officially join us other Cool Cruisers, use the link below to post a request on the board help subforum. Maybe they can fix it, or help you re-register and then merge your previous activity. Here's the link--

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=163

Archived