Early MIA Arrival - What To Do? Transportation??

SMerritt

Hi! Your forum has been invaluable to us - we are leaving on our third cruise next week - NCL Epic, which I will report on upon our return - we booked the Epic out of curiosity but I think it is going to be a little "much" size wise :rolleyes:

My Inquiries:

We will be landing in Miami at 6 A.M. 1/29/11 and will not be able to board until 11:30 (owners suite check-in)

Is there anything to do or nice place to wait to check-in at the Port of Miami? Possibly we should hang around and have breakfast at the airport? Any other time-killing ideas or hints would be appreciated.

Also, transportation from MIA to the port?? - If hiring a car is advised, who would be the most reliable car service to hire?

Thanks in advance!

Take a cab to the port, the rates are fixed,$24 last time. Don't know about killing time, first you have to arrive at 6 ,then get luggage, then get cab.About 1/2 hr to port, nothing to do at port as I recall. Hope this helps. Bill

I don't even want to know what time your plane is leaving to be arriving at 6am! :)

I'd have brkfst at the airport or maybe a cab driver can tell you where there's a brkfst place between the airport and the port (~20 minutes). Or you can post that question on the Florida Departures board here on this site or its sister, Tripadvisor.com.

After that when you arrive at the port you'll be among the first to check in and board (usually around noon).

have fun!!!

You have plenty of time to take a tour in the morning! Don't waste your opportunity to have extra fun on your vacation!

Rent a car at the airport - Thrifty, Hertz, and Alamo have free shuttles to the Port of Miami from their rental sites.

Drive to the Everglades (about an hour) Have breakfast on the way.

http://www.miamitours.us/?gclid=CJyr8rWO06YCFYrt7QodoyBXGg

Take an airboat tour (really cool!)

Look at the gators, take photos.

Drive back to Miami and drive around South Beach, time permitting.

After 12pm, drop off the rental car, take shuttle to the port and check in for your cruise!

Maybe it's just me but if I sat on a plane all night the last thing I would feel like doing is renting a car and seeing the sites.

I'd probably eat breakfast at the airport and then just take a cab to the port, $24 set rate and readily avaliable.

Maybe it's just me but if I sat on a plane all night the last thing I would feel like doing is renting a car and seeing the sites.

I'd probably eat breakfast at the airport and then just take a cab to the port, $24 set rate and readily avaliable.

My thoughts exactly; that is what I would do as well.

Even if your plane is on time, it takes about 20 mins. to exit the plane, and maybe another 20-30 to get your luggage....

I'd grab a bite to eat in the airport, then get in the taxi line and head to port....it's quite possible boarding will begin before 11:30.

If it were me, the last thing I'd want to do after sitting on a plane all night would be to catch a cab to the port and sit there for 4- 6 hours waiting to check onto a cruise ship. If there is a delay with boarding, you can even wait longer than that to board.

I'd rent a hotel room, get some sleep (I cannot sleep on a plane...ever), have a late checkout time, shower and arrive to the ship refreshed and ready for a vacation.

For me sitting and waiting in port after a long flight would completely ruin the first day of the cruise. It's really no big deal to miss the first 2 hours of a week long cruise, we arrive at port at 2-3 pm almost every cruise now and it works out just fine. Early boarding is not desirable for us, the lines are too long and the wait is too boring, even with suite check-in.

If I'm not in business or first class, I figured out how to make sure I sleep on the plane. I got one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/Skyrest-Travel-Pillow/dp/B000VKP6VW/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1295916175&sr=8-15

and got a prescription for Ambien from my doctor. Worked like a charm. I woke up in Barcelona refreshed and ready to go! Had a fabulous day on Las Ramblas and the Mercat!

I think what was preventing me from sleeping on the plane was just the turbulence. I'm normally a very light sleeper. With the Ambien, I was out cold for the entire night and did not awaken until the flight attendant brought breakfast the next morning. Very blissful as it seemed as if the flight was only 2 hours long instead of 9!

Ever since I found this out, I always take an Ambien for long haul flights regardless of where I'm sitting and get plenty of rest.

I realize this won't work for everyone. But for some of us, it works great and is the antidote to jetlag!

WOW! Thank you for all of the help.....I neglected to add, we are flying out of SFO, approx. 4.5 hour flight is all.

We will do a little touring in Miami on our way home after our cruise

I googled the Port of Miami and found zip, I can now see why, there is nothing but ships! :D

I do like the suggestions of not having to be the "first on board", forgot about the lines etc. I am learning more and more each and every cruise

Will post an update on our decision - So Far, breakfast at MIA, then cab to port or........

I do know it is a set rate to the Port in a cab - pondering how much FL cab drivers would "ding" us for a short "tour" to possibly a scenic hotel or restaurant for brunch then to the port, hmmm?

It would cost a little more money, because you'd need two cab rides, but rather than eat at the airport, I'd take a cab to one of the better hotels near the cruise port (the Intercontinental or the Hyatt, among other nice ones) and have my breakfast there. The hotel bellman will check your bags, so you don't have to drag them around and worry about keeping your eyes on them, and you can have a relaxed meal.

By the time you land, get off the plane, walk to baggage and claim your stuff, and take a cab into the city, it will be at least 7 AM, probably more like 7:30. Take your time with breakfast, read the paper over a second or third cup of coffee/tea, etc. The Intercontinental, in particular, is right on a waterfront park, so you could take a stroll (while leaving your luggage at the hotel). When you are ready to head to the cruise port, just get another cab for the short (less than five minutes) ride.

• 3 weeks later...
It would cost a little more money, because you'd need two cab rides, but rather than eat at the airport, I'd take a cab to one of the better hotels near the cruise port (the Intercontinental or the Hyatt, among other nice ones) and have my breakfast there. The hotel bellman will check your bags, so you don't have to drag them around and worry about keeping your eyes on them, and you can have a relaxed meal.

By the time you land, get off the plane, walk to baggage and claim your stuff, and take a cab into the city, it will be at least 7 AM, probably more like 7:30. Take your time with breakfast, read the paper over a second or third cup of coffee/tea, etc. The Intercontinental, in particular, is right on a waterfront park, so you could take a stroll (while leaving your luggage at the hotel). When you are ready to head to the cruise port, just get another cab for the short (less than five minutes) ride.

Thank you so much!!! We opted for the Hyatt Regency - had a wonderful breakfast, got the *giggles* when we opted for the sumptuous buffet

Did a few loops and viewed Miami on the free people movers that stopped at the hotel

The bar in the lobby was closed so we lounged on the lovely leather sofas with two other cruisers, enjoyed the views and watched the big screen a while - sipped a Starbucks etc. we (4 "cruisers) were treated like guests by the hotel staff

PERFECTO! Thanks again :)

Archived