passport processing time

SmogMonster

We cruise February 26th and my boyfriend just went and applied for his to be processed about a week ago. They said his should come in fine (typical time to be processed is 4-6 weeks), but he got his expedited just in case.

You should definitely be fine getting yours in time.

We're 2 weeks into the wait as well. I went online to check status (travel.state.gov), confirmed it was still "in processing", and registered my email address

I received a nice note reminding me that I had been told 4-6 weeks when we filled out the applications :)

We cruise February 26th and my boyfriend just went and applied for his to be processed about a week ago. They said his should come in fine (typical time to be processed is 4-6 weeks), but he got his expedited just in case.

You should definitely be fine getting yours in time.

I cruise March 11..and I planned on going today. I know it says 4-6 weeks...4 weeks is fine..6 weeks will put me right at sailing (March 11). :( Torn as to paying the $60 for expedited or not.

Hi everyone,

Anybody have recent experience with applying for a passport and how long it took? We are taking the kids on their first cruise in mid-march. We applied for their passports about two weeks ago.

In November we applied for the first time at our local Post Office who also took the pictures we needed and received the passports in 10 days.

Our birth certificates arrived 2 days later in a separate envelope.

You should have received a confirmation number so you can go online and check the status.

With 2 weeks gone, you should have them soon.

Have a great cruise.

I will be cruising on the CONQUEST the first weekend in February and I was worried that my passport wouldnt make it back in time if I used the regular service. I did take advantage of their "expedited services". All I can say is WOW!!! I mailed my passport renewal application on Monday 1/10/11 and it was processed and shipped out from NH on Friday 1/14/11 and I got it in Saturday's mail 1/15/11 via EXPRESS MAIL. I was sooo shocked that it came that fast! Yes, it does cost a bit more--but the peace of mind-having it before my trip "priceless". I have always taken a chance and traveled without a passport but I thought it best to get one this time as I am leaving my two teenagers as well as elderly parents at home this time.... I would say in the OP's case traveling in March that you have pleanty of time to use the regular services if you send it off now!!

Happy Cruising !!!!

Don't panic if the passports don't make it in time as you do not need them on closed loop cruises. Just certifid birth certificates if under 16. Over 16 and they need id's as well.

If you are waiting on your passport, you don't have your birth certificate either because you sent it away to get the passport.

If I make a copy of the birth cert before I send off the original for passport processing, if for some reason they passport+original docs dont make it back in time for my cruise, can I use the copies of my birth cert (with DL of course)?

If I make a copy of the birth cert before I send off the original for passport processing, if for some reason they passport+original docs dont make it back in time for my cruise, can I use the copies of my birth cert (with DL of course)?

No, you have to have the original with the raised seal.

The way I understand it is it has to be a certified copy, not a copy copy, of your birth certif...

No, you have to have the original with the raised seal.

The way I understand it is it has to be a certified copy, not a copy copy, of your birth certif...

Thanks guys! I cruise March 11 and going today to apply for the passport. I think I am just going to pay for the expedited service just in case.

Thanks guys! I cruise March 11 and going today to apply for the passport. I think I am just going to pay for the expedited service just in case.

Or you could wait and get your passport after your cruise and just use your Birth Cert and photo ID - that way you won't have to worry about getting it back in time for your trip.

For those worries about birth certificates, I've found those so quick and easy to replace. You can typically get a second copy for $10-$15 in under a week. Just go to your town of birth's website; even many small towns have this these days. You can often order these by mail and avoid the trip to your hometown. My city of birth has an online form, which makes it super easy

Might be worth ordering a backup f you're getting close to your deadline (cheap piece of mind backup).

Archived